I'm A Baking Disaster :s

Decorating By Scooby_doo9709 Updated 9 Oct 2007 , 9:02pm by martmarg

Scooby_doo9709 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scooby_doo9709 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 16

Okay I don't know if I'm in the right section - I'm just starting cakes as a relaxing hobby and have no plans on doing anything other than making my kids cakes etc for birthdays - which is probably good cause I can't seem to bake a cake!!

I finally found a white cake recipe I like and that doesn't weigh 10lbs when i'm done but I was recommended to use Wiltons 8x3" round pan and by the time the centers done baking the outside and bottom are "very well done" to the point that you can't eat them they're so solid.

What am I doing wrong!? I thought maybe I need those bake even strips but the cake store said it wasn't necessary unless it was over a 12" round cake. Please help!!!

15 replies
AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 16

Hmm, I'm not sure. I can tell you that I've used the bake even strips on an 8" round before, mostly so that I don't have to level much off the top. Maybe you should lower your baking temp. That's the only thing I can think off.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 16

For many recipes, a heating core or bake even strips can make a huge difference.

If you don't have the strips and don't want to purchase them, you can use an inverted flower nail ( about 99cents). It works to circulate the heat to the center and bake the cake more even.

Some people grease the nail, set it into the pan and add the batter.

I use parchment so I punch it through the paper, then set it into the pan.

Don't give up, you can do this.

jl5949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jl5949 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 16

Couple of things, first, make sure your oven is at the correct temp. I believe that you can buy a tester to make sure it is heating to the correct setting. With a 3x8 pan you should not need a core but you could use a flower nail. Just turn it upside down and flower and grease and place in the bottom of the pan. Then just fill the pan with batter around the nail. This will generate heat to the center of your pan, hopefully giving you an even baked cake. I have the bake even strips and have not had much luck with them. I would first investigate the over temp. Good luck!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 16

Sorry you have had so many problems. This is one of the reasons I have used pillsbury boxed cake mix for the last 26 years. I get consistent results everytime and most younger people have been raised on the taste and feel (in their mouth) of boxed cake mixes, anything different and I have had negative feedback. An example: I made a fresh strawberry cack with strawberry cream cheese mousse filling and the only thing they said was "I thought it would be really pink when we cut into it" you know like the boxed strawberry cake mix is so.....That ended me trying to make scratch cake that have expensive ingredients for people who aren't used to them.
jibbies

smitti1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitti1 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 16

Try baking at 25 deg lower than the recipe says. I always do for cakes. It comes out very evenly cooked. You may need to adjust the baking time. Keep an eye on it towards the end.

A few years ago I found 'Baker's Secret' pans for normal home use at a local supermarket. The last time I looked they had a different brand but the same concept. Anyway they are made with a double layer of the metal for bottoms & sides of the pans & nonstick. I spray the insides of the pans with Pam. Cakes come out beautiful everytime. Evenly baked and fairly even top, but a slight bit higher than the sides. It seems like a more gentle way to bake.

This kind of pan won't help many of you who make larger cakes. I've not seen the larger sizes anywhere yet, but will keep an eye out.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 16

I always use the baking strips, regardless of the size of the cake. It keeps it even and very little levelling has to be done. And like others mention, turn the temp to 325. That should help.

Scooby_doo9709 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks for the great tips - i will try again tonight...luckily these are just practice cakes to work on my decorating skills - still embarrasing though to tell the people eating it to "just cut off the outside parts" LOL

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 16

should i use a flower nail to bake a 10 in round? last yr a baked a sheet cake and it came out terrible. the sides and bottom were scorched and the middle was just right!

Scooby_doo9709 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 16

Tried it with the flower nail and lower temp - worked great!! Thanks a lot for the great tip

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:42pm
post #11 of 16

I highly recommend investing in an oven thermometer. The only time I have had problems like yours is when my oven is calibrated incorrectly. This way you'll know if it's too hot or too cool for your cakes. I also use bake even strips on all my cakes because it keeps the hump from forming in the middle. I only use a flower nail for cakes 10" and up. Setting the temperature 25 degrees lower will also help but I wouldn't do that until I check the oven temp.

am2pm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
am2pm Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 16

Scooby_Doo,
My aunt who took Wilton classes 25 plus years ago told me they said to fold a towel around the edges (soak in water first) and pin into place. If you are a sewer, maybe you could cut a towel down and hem the edges and maybe even add velcro to it and forget the pins which I hate trying to get the strips tight enough! Hope this gives you an idea without having to buy the Wilton strips.
Peggy

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:46pm
post #13 of 16

Also, what are you using to grease the pans? How much??

I've made the mistake of putting "a lot" of Baker's Joy on the pan and it burned the outside of the cake but the center was fine...

mistygaildunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistygaildunn Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:49pm
post #14 of 16

I only use DH cake mixes and I only use a flower nail if it's a really big cake, but I don't think that it would hurt anything having one in a smaller pan. You also may want to use a 2" deep pan instead of 3" may make a difference. I too bake my cakes at 325 instead of 350, I learned that the hard way. The temperature also makes a difference in it's white or chocolate cake, hope this helps. Misty

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:54pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

I highly recommend investing in an oven thermometer. The only time I have had problems like yours is when my oven is calibrated incorrectly. This way you'll know if it's too hot or too cool for your cakes. I also use bake even strips on all my cakes because it keeps the hump from forming in the middle. I only use a flower nail for cakes 10" and up. Setting the temperature 25 degrees lower will also help but I wouldn't do that until I check the oven temp.

This is a great idea. I've heard that most ovens are not calibrated right. I got a thermometer and my oven is 50 degrees off.

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:02pm
post #16 of 16

If you want baking strips without the price. You could wet paper towels and wrap them up in foil paper and put around the cake pan. (I"m not sure but I think you can use paper towels)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%