Worst Christmas Gift!

Lounge By cocorum21 Updated 7 Dec 2006 , 7:03am by kaychristensen

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 30

Ok I don't think this has been started but what's your worst christmas gift that you have ever gotten?

I'll start.

The recycled gift that was opened and not rewrapped. icon_eek.gif I mean come on if you are going to regift shouldn't I atleast get new wrapping paper? icon_rolleyes.gif I've gotten some things that I really didn't want or didn't care for but it was the thought. But to give me something where the old wrapping paper is still hanging on to the gift is crazy! icon_mad.gif

29 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 30

I agree that's pretty bad, new wrapping would be much better.

I have even gotten one that although newly wrapped, it was a gift that I had originally given to this same person a couple of years before. I managed not to say anything, but was sorely tempted to do so. Janice

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 30

The only thing that really sticks out was the digital camera my husband bought me last year. He had bought a cheap one figuring that we would pick a good one when we went to visit my parents after the first of the year and the kids could have the old one. We live in a small town and are so far away from stores and stuff that there wasn't much choice. It took at least 30 seconds from the time you pushed the button to take a picture to the time it actually took one that you couldn't even take pictures of the kids opening presents.

It was so bad that he returned it because the kids wouldn't be able to get any kind of picture out of it. I think he was more upset about it than I was and he did get me a nice camera a couple weeks later. icon_lol.gif

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 30

They only thing that I can think of is about 3 years ago our dad (I have two sisters) sent us a Christamas card, first card in YEARS. My middle sister got $100.00 & me & my other sister got just a card thumbsdown.gif . Whats up with that icon_confused.gif He's such a jerk icon_mad.gif . That really just hurt my feelings more than anything icon_cry.gif . He sent them (the cards) to moms house for us to open them together.

ALL Thats the last christmas card or anything I have gotten from him & the last time I talked to him.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 30

That is really tacky, to make sure you all opened your cards together and then only put something in one of them. What a statement that was. How did that sister feel about it? Really hurtful for you and your other left-out sister, I'm sorry he did that to you all. Janice

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 30

my worst gift was acne face wash from my mom. she thought is was a good idea and she meant well-- but when you open it in front of everyone- you feel a little embarrased. icon_redface.gif

CTamiLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTamiLynn Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 30

When I was a teenager, I received a box of chocolate covered cherries from an aunt who, let's just say, has always been the odd one in my mother's family.

When I unwrapped it and opened the box, a couple of them were gone. icon_eek.gif I don't know who ate them. I guess she did. I didn't say anything to her.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 30

all of these are just awful. Monica, I can't blaim you for not talking to him again--how horrible.

my worst year was the the one where I had nothing to open because DH forgot icon_confused.gif He felt horrible because I video taped everyone opening up their gifts and always hide a small gift for him to find in the christmas tree and then I got nothing. You think he would have learned his lesson but he did this for 3 years in a row. It was disapointing but didn't ruin my day at all.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:20am
post #9 of 30

My worst gift was when I was 15. I wanted to buy a good razor for ladies. I was keeping my money for it, I wanted a good one that would last for years. So at Christmas my parents bought me one, did they get the really nice one? NOOOOOO, they got a cheap one. That didn't really did the job, just making my skin itch. I was so embarrassed. I never thought it was a "gift" to give someone. I felt really humiliated, and I was mad. I didn't get anything else that year. My brother got a huge sleigh and video games.... But my parents always buy the cheap stuff. Even when I wanted to buy me a serger, they bought a cheap one at Costco for 60$. What do you want to sew with a 60$ serger? it made funny sounds when I was using it. When I want to buy something now I actually show my mom what I'm planning to buy. Like this I get exactly what I want, like when she bought my KA for me icon_smile.gif So my mom bought my worst gift at 15 and my best gift at 25!

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:35am
post #10 of 30

Ok, I have one. Probably 25 years ago my grandma got all of us girls (3 sister) all underwear. Well she meant well, but she is now 92 so she was in her 70's then, well she brought us underwear like she would wear. Well they were very big to say the least, I don't think she even looked at sizes, we put them on over our clothes and they came up past our uummm b**bs. We were in hystrics, and she got mad and couldn't understand why we were laughing, she thought it was a good gift. Also my husband never buys me christmas presents, he says if I want somerhing to go get it, (well its not the same) but after 30 years I know if i get anything under the tree for me, its cause I put it there.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:49am
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

That is really tacky, to make sure you all opened your cards together and then only put something in one of them. What a statement that was. How did that sister feel about it? Really hurtful for you and your other left-out sister, I'm sorry he did that to you all. Janice

Janice,

the other two sisters & I talked about how much it hurt us & the sister that got $ kept apoloizing. I was like its NOT your fault. This was not the reason I have not talked to him, he chooses not to have a relationship with me & I am come to the conclustion that its not my fault he does not love me. I am finally at peace with that & it took MANY MANY years to get there. Alot of pain & tears along the way.

Your right when you say what a statement that was. Its EXACTLY his character. Its a sad situation on his part because he has missed so much in his girls lifes & he does not even know it. I feel sad for him. He missed sooooo many blessings.

This topis is a LOooooong story. I could go on for days.

Janice thank you for your caring. It means alot to me icon_wink.gif & it says something about your charactor icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Monica

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:53am
post #12 of 30

My worst Christmas gift was a upright piano. I know what you are thinking but you are mistaken. My three brothers received a pool table that year and my older sister and I received a piano. The problem was that I was not allowed to play the piano. My sister was the one who wanted one, so she got one and the lessons to go with it. I was too short to play pool with my brothers, so that meant that I got nothing that year. My parents never understood why I never got along with my sister after that Christmas. Just recently the topic came up with my mother and I finally told her how I felt. She said she thought that I was happy about the piano. I told her not only did I not get a gift for Christmas but the piano was put in my sister and my bedroom where she practiced day and night. I was reminded of that Christmas for many years.

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:13am
post #13 of 30

I've got one that probably most everyone on this board will understand.

I wanted a KA mixer. That's ALL I wanted. While I understand that money was somewhat tight (child support and alimony to 1st wife), I didn't feel I was really asking all that much. Especially since our anniversary is less than 3 weeks before Christmas and I didn't get a gift for that.

What did I get????????????

a PICTURE of a KA mixer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with a note that said he'd buy me one someday.

WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I'm still married to him. And yes, I did get a KA mixer-I think maybe for my birthday the next February. But that was birthday gift so that means I got jack for Christmas that year. I gave him a new, much needed suit. I got nada. icon_sad.gif

He learned his lesson cuz to this day I keep reminding him that he messed up BAD that year! LOL

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:16am
post #14 of 30

Well, my story isn't as heart-felt (or lack there of), but it happened about 7 years ago. I was dating a guy (ex now) and I always knew he was cheap when it came to other people. He would buy himself stuff, but never anything for anyone else. So, one Christmas I actually got a gift from him. It was wrapped all pretty, and I thought WOW, he actually bought ME something. I opened the box, and there was a tiny silver trinket box thing with a candle in it. Then, next to the candle was a card.....SIGNED BY HIS SISTER!! So, basically when he was at his sisters the weekend before, she told him to give me this gift from her, and he passed it off as his own......no wonder he's an EX!

OK...this is a toss-up....another BF when I was in HS still. As he was leaving my house, reached in his pocket and gave me a bottle of perfume. Not wrapped or anything. I thanked him, he left, and I went in the house...only to find out the perfume was HALF EMPTY!

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:40am
post #15 of 30

The one I remember is when I was a junior in High school (I think). Saw this dress I really liked at the store. Mom thought she picked up the right one but she picked up the only one on the rack I hated. Still to this day she doesn't understand why I only wore that dress a few times. Thankfully I outgrew it quickly.

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:44am
post #16 of 30

Ok my worst gift, it's actually not a christmas gift, but a birthday gift which is close to christmas...
Anyway I had family & friends come over for dinner & cake after I opened a few gifts I opened a gift from my MIL & FIL they gave me a card with an old lottery ticket & the only reason I knew it was old was as soon as I opened it & saw that there was just one lottery ticket my MIL said out loud to everyone "Do you know what numbers came out in the lottery last week?" I really didn't know what to do or think... weather they are just cheap or they just don't care.... oh well... I can go on & on but I won't.
Hope this made you laugh as that is all I do now when I think of it...

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:47am
post #17 of 30

Christmas 1962, I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with my daughter Melissa. I had asked for a red nightgown to wear in the hospital after her birth. I was tired of being huge and I guess I wanted something that would make me feel feminine again. I opened the gift from my husband all excited to see what gown he had chosen, it was a flannel granny gown, yes it was red but it looked like a flour sack. I cried and he couldn't understand why.
I gave birth on January 17th and I did NOT take the red granny gown to the hospital. thumbsdown.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 6:13am
post #18 of 30

The worst for me wasn't a gift received, but one given. My father and I don't see eye to eye (too much like him) but we are still connected. His wife on the other hand is a *********. A couple of years ago I send a gift to them of goodies they would all enjoy, even non-chocolate ones for the witch. It was returned unopened, after being refused. Not a postal thing, because it was hand delivered. Straight up REFUSED by my "family."

I still send little things, but to my father at work. Nothing for the rest of them!

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 9:41pm
post #19 of 30

my now hubby when we had just started dating...well about 6 months

I absolutely LOVE mickey mouse! I told him I wanted a birthstone ring for my birthday (usually u can get a lil BS ring from the mall jewelers for like 100 bucks right?)

So he went to Disneyland not long before Christmas and then on Christmas he gives me a box and inside it was a mickey mouse birthstone ring. Now I would have been super excited if it wouldn't have been the metal adjustable ring that would only fit on my pinky..

The thought did not count on that one!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 3:19am
post #20 of 30

oh my goodness zmama that's just straight up wrong, i'm so sorry for that happening to you. Does your dad know why you only mail things to his work now? I hope you said something about it to him.

my best friends DH one year saw all his brothers get a computer, clothes, candy and colonge for christmas and all he got was a pack of underwear and a pack of socks. They always did that stuff to him though.... so my best friend would always go way out and by him the best things she could. Of course this was for the guy for the whole first 2 years of their relationship had flowers sent to her every week (even when in boot camp and overseas)

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 8:51am
post #21 of 30

mkolmar..
Your best friends inlaws must be related to my BIL and his wife! (I don't think of her as my SIL !!) About 3 years ago they gave their oldest daughter a gold neckless, their son(the youngest) an expensive remote control car. You must have seen their other daughter's face when she received a book, and her parents told everybody how cheap her persent was. (They got it at a 50% off sale!!)

Needless to say my worst present was from them... a cheap salt and pepper set!! I think the paper it was wrap in cost more than the present!!

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 3:35am
post #22 of 30

OK, have to post this one....I'm having a terrible day, and this is just the icing on the cake!! My husband received a package in the mail today. It was my birthday present (Birthday is next week, so close enough to Christmas to add to this thread). A little background on the story. About a year ago, he was pulling my truck into the garage, and cracked the passenger side mirror on the side of the garage. (Of course MY fault, cuz I put the other car in too far over icon_rolleyes.gif ). Anyway, I don't really even notice that the mirror is cracked. It's on the bottom and not very noticable, so no big deal to me. So, this package is my gift....CHROME MIRROR PLATE COVERS! First of all, I said, I don't even have chrome on my truck, so what do I need those for. Second of all, I don't even notice the mirror, so big deal if it's cracked. Third of all, YOU broke the mirror...why is it MY present?!? icon_confused.gif So, after I say all this, he says they were 70 some dollars, and proceeds to call me an ungrateful #$%^! UGH.....just what I needed on a day like today!! Sorry for the vent, I just had to tell someone. icon_cry.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 4:07am
post #23 of 30

mhill, I have had a similar situation with my dh getting me something that was meant for him, so for Christmas I made sure that I got him something that was meant for me. He never made that mistake again. He even gave me some small appliances on Christmas and thought it was the best gifts ever, till he got to work to brag and all the women let him have it. I in turned kept treatening to buy him some trashcans and a leaf rake for his birthday. He saw how upset I was and this year after 30 years, was the first time he actually asked me what I wanted for Christmas. There is hope if you can just get through their thick skulls what is appropriate and what is not.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 2:05pm
post #24 of 30

Ok, ok, my passed mil got me a spaghetti thingy for Christmas one year.....it's the thing with holes in it and measures the pasta...just a cheap little plastic piece.....sure she got me a few otherthings too, like a mini notebook, etc., and I won't even talk about the other presents she got for people......like I said she's passed, so I can't be too mean.

I decided to ask my mom since I can't really think of anything other than from mil...........one year my mom's husband got her a fishing rod holder....you put it in the ground and it props the rod up for you. She loves to go fishing, but a rod holder for CHRISTMAS?!?!?!?!

Zmama Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 2:53pm
post #25 of 30

WHAT is up with people and gifts? I mean, it's less insulting to get nothing than some of this stuff!

mkolmar - my dad knows, it's a long story. PM me if you want to talk.

imtrying Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imtrying Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 2:58pm
post #26 of 30

Mine was from the first Christmas with my husband, before he was my husband. He handed me this box, it was big, it was heavy and it was nicely wrapped. I was so excited, what could it possibly be? Nice, he bought me floor mats for my car. Who does that? He was so dissapointed that I wasn't all excited about them and my mother got me in trouble for not being more grateful. More grateful? was she missing the part where I opened the box of floor mats?

I married him anyway. It took many years of training but he's doing much better about gift giving now.

Zmama Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 8:05pm
post #27 of 30

Married him anyway - he must have some redeeming qualities!

My BEST gift was my suburban, from my fiance for our first Christmas. In the time we've been together, I've gotten more (and better) from him than total in my life before. Says he's trying to get me used to getting gifts so he can start surprising me, so I wonder what he has planned when I can actually handle a surprise???

My ex was terrible at gifts, even for the kids. Two years ago he didn't get them ANYTHING, not even stocking stuffers, and he had them for Christmas morning. "If I can't affor what they want, they don't get anything." WTF???? They were 6 and 2 at the time, had no idea about money. "Santa" couldn't come back that year, but held their presents till the next year, when they got double, since he "didn't know where they were last year."

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 4:38am
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtrying

I was so excited, what could it possibly be? Nice, he bought me floor mats for my car.

I married him anyway. It took many years of training but he's doing much better about gift giving now.

LOL, I am rolling on the floor right now !!! You married my husband's long lost brother !!! My first year together with my hubby, our 1st year dating, he gave me 6 spark plugs, lol. "OH, and they are the good kind, too." he added. I could barely contain myself. icon_rolleyes.gif My mom got the biggest kick out of it. I knew she had a smirk on her face, but I wasn't sure why. He got them for me so that he could do a tune-up on my car at the time. But I sure didn't expect spark plugs, lol.

My sweet guy meant well, but I was expecting something shiny and pretty besides the shiny ends on those spark plugs if ya catch my drift. icon_wink.gif

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 5:37am
post #29 of 30

I think I have the most embarassing gift of them all!

It was 1996, Christmas. I was in the sixth grade an had just crossed over into to "womanhood". Well every year we go to my grandmother house on Christmas eve to exchange gifts with all the family. All the kids get gifts from my grandmother and the adults do a drawing and exchange gifts. In my family we open gifts one at a time and watch that person open thier gift. It was my turn to open my gift. I was all excited cause my cousins all got cool gifts and I couldnt wait to see mine. Im tearing open the paper and see that it is a gift basket. Ok cool. Then I look closer. In the basket I see Tampons, Pads, Underwear, Midol, A heating pad, and some other Menstrual realted products. My uncle asked me to hold it up so that everyone could see. I just sat trying to cover it up. Then my father took and held it up for everyone to see. I just put my head down and tried to hide. I was so embarrased. Everyone just stood there in silence.

I know its the thought that counts. My grandmother was trying to help me; but at the same time she could have taken me aside and gave me the gift. Now my family has to bring that incident up every year when its my turn to open a gift.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 7:03am
post #30 of 30

I can say I really don't remeber recieving a bad gift for Chirstmas. We have had some tough times throughout the years. My Grandma also got us Grandma panties every year. It was a given that was what you were getting. Actually it is kind of a tradtion I carried over. Everyone gets new socks and undies in there stockings. It is kind of a running joke with DH and me. When he gets holy socks he says when is Christmas in need some socks. And when he asks me what I want for Christmas He says don't say stuff for the kitchen. And I say but that is what I really want. He usually gets it and says next year I ain't getting you kitchen crap icon_lol.gif I feel for everyone that has had bad gifts. I guess I don't think any of mine were bad Becuase I enjoy giving better than recieving. Just me I know I am weird icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%