Age 70+ And Still Doing Cakes?

Business By handymama Updated 20 Sep 2007 , 12:00pm by apclassicwed

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 18

Please tell us, how long have you been a decorator? Does it provide at least part of your income? Is it still fun or would you rather not be doing it?
Thanks a bunch.

17 replies
SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:12am
post #2 of 18

I have been decorating as my full time job for about 5 years now. I worked in a grocery store for close to 3 years and now in a specialty bakery for 2 and a half years. I LOVE IT!! (Well most of the time anyway!) I started by working at a royal icing candy decoration factory and it made me want to take classes so I took the 3 wilton courses. I got a job at a bakery as counter help but took over the cake decorating when they needed someone to replace the decorator that quit, and that was that. I was hooked! and knew I didn't want to do anything else.

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:26am
post #3 of 18

I have been decorating cakes since 1980. I started just doing it for the 5 curtain-climbers but I now do it for friends and friends of friends. There are days that I hate it and there are days that I love it. This morning I was doing a very simple cake for my sis, and I had the cake in the pan and realized I forgot the eggs, re-did the mix then I put it in another pan, I put the mix in the wrong size pan, got the right pan out put the mix in it and I had forgotten to grease the pan, so I had to get another pan. Well I finally put it in the oven and about 10 minutes later I realized I forgot to put the wet things around the pan, I said the heck with it. If I was a drinking person I would have fixed myself a drink. But it all turned out. I have never goofed like I did this a/m, so this a/m I hated baking and decorating. But on the whole I love to bake and decorate.

handymama Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:35am
post #4 of 18

DiannaSue you're a riot! I actually made myself a checklist at one point because I was always forgetting something--usually the bake-even strips or the nail in the middle of larger pans. I'll remember your story on days that aren't going well. Thanks!!!

mdelmauro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdelmauro Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:35am
post #5 of 18

Started doing cakes in 1974, took the first Wilton class and have been making cakes for my kids and family and have been doing them since for family and friends and fellow workers. Am now retired from full time job (31 yrs) and still doing cakes from home. Have not posted as I don't have digital camera, but hope to do some soon. Love to do the cakes, love the challenge!! Don't do fondant, but can do roses pretty well.

NTxWriter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NTxWriter Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 18

I feel like a real newby here! I started decorating cakes when I was in high school but nothing very fancy. Now that I have small children, I got more interested in it as they need cakes for parties, etc. I've sold a few to their friends' mothers but it really just supports my "cake habit" of buying new items to make new designs or maybe buying a book or video.

My mom is 84 tho and still decorating cakes. She was my inspiration!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 18

Not quite 70, I am 68. I have been doing cakes since 1959 and have never lost my love of the art or the desire to keep learning new techniques. I can not be legally licensed in California or at least not in my area, so the majority of cakes I do are gifts and donations. I do maybe 3 paid wedding cakes per year, so no, it doesn't really provide income. But I think keeping active is always a good thing, keeps the brain cells up and running. I just finished a cake for today.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1038243

handymama Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 18

Quite lovely, Shirley, and I'm assuming you made the gumpaste Hydrangeas.

NTxWriter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NTxWriter Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 18

Beautiful cake, Shirley!

Joan in TX

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:50am
post #10 of 18

My goodness, Shirley, you've been doing cakes since the year I was born! Wow! No wonder you're one of my hero's on here! thumbs_up.gif

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 18

Beautiful cake Shirley! I have been doing cakes since the mid 60s and am half way to 60now. I do them for friends and family or if they refer and someone calls. I work full time and teach so that is all I have time for. I love it and wish I was closer to areas that have classes on gumpaste flowers etc. It is just catching on here in the Midwest. I was inspired from an aunt from CA who took me to Knotts Berry Farm and I fell in love w/ the figure piped pink elephant cake he was decorating as I watched. That was probably late 50s or early 60s and my aunt passed away in Feb of this year. She claims I went way beyond what she did and that meant everything to have her approval. OK enough of this and your cake is beautiful Shirley! 68 don't know if I will make it till then.
Great Job!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 18

I'M IN CALIFORNIA - AGE 65 - BEEN DECORATING CAKES FOR NOW....LET'S SEE SINCE 1969......OR SO.....38 YEARS......I'M SELF TAUGHT AND I'M STILL LEARNING.....THERE ARE SO MANY NEW IDEAS AND TECHNIQUES ..OUT NOW.....AND THIS SITE IS MY BEST INSPIRATION . I MAYBE DO 8 TO 10 WEDDINGS A YEAR......NOT AN INCOME I COUNT ON....BUT ENJOY THE EXTRA $$$$ AND I ENJOY A CHALLANGE.

LOVE TO DECORATE AND I TEACH 18 4-H KIDS AGES 7 TO 18 CAKE DECORATING.....THEY DO A FANTASTIC JOB AND ARE A DELIGHT TO WORK WITH.

THANKS CC'S FOR SHARING ALL YOUR IDEAS, THOUGHT AND TROUBLES.

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:05pm
post #13 of 18

I'm only halfway to 60 but have been doing cakes for 12 years. It started as a hobby when I was in high school - now I work in a grocery store bakery and do the cakes at home too. It is a source of income but not much. I no longer do cakes as freebees b/c it became too much and everyone expected it. It pretty much supports my little home business and a little extra on the side. icon_biggrin.gif

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:07pm
post #14 of 18

I started decorating in high school because o a catering class I took. Have made cakes for my kids birthdays, but just started getting serious decorating last year. If I am in the kitchen I am happy so most likely I will be doing it till I die.

Doesn't contribute to my income since most cakes are done for family members, but hopefully by next summer I can get licensed and it will be.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:44pm
post #15 of 18

what inspiration on here....i have been doing cakes for about 8 years....my mom used to bake and i remember watching her and being so intrigued....well she taught me alot and i eventually took some wilton classes....she said i am way beyond her but she still has that certain touch that nobody can duplicate!!!!!! and it drives me nuts because i la la la love her cakes!!!!!!!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:51pm
post #16 of 18

26 years icon_biggrin.gif
Jibbies

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:40am
post #17 of 18

I forgot to say the teaching I am doing is at the community and is cake decorating beg and advanced. I also have been doing a cupcake and cookie class. It is fun and so inspirational to see new students blossom. It is fun to share your talent so others can learn from it.

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 12:00pm
post #18 of 18

Been baking cakes since I was 9 years old, and I would "decorate" my cakes with candies, fruits--but artfully arranged (for a 9 year old). Took my first Wilton classes in 1982, I was 19 years old. Then life got in the way (college, getting married)--I didn't start serious cake decorating until 1998, when I had to get a birthday cake for my kids and realized that I had the talent to do better than the grocery store (and my cakes taste Waaay better!). I do cakes as gifts for family and friends. Michigan doesn't have a Cottage Industry law, so we cant do cakes for sale from home icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%