Mmf Is Too Dry!!!

Decorating By ruty Updated 7 Nov 2006 , 11:57pm by tcturtleshell

ruty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruty Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 8

Why my MMF is too dry? what did I do wrong? I never can work with it, I have to be placing it in the microwave every minute to soften the fondant a little. HELP!!!

7 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 8

How much powdered sugar did you use? I find that I can't use the full amount called for in the recipe or it's too dry. Try adding shortening to it.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 8

Check to see if you are using a 16oz bag of marshmallows. Some mini marshmallow bags are only 10.5 oz which means the marshmallow to powdered sugar ratio will be off and you end up with dry MMF.

BakingGirl

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 8

I believe it is too dry. I had the same problems when I started making fondant. Do not add all the sugar when mixing it. Add it little by little and stop
as soon as you feel that it is pliable but still a little bit sticky. Cover your hands with tons of shortening and knead.

If you have some fondant already made that is too dry, add a little bit of corn
syrup and knead with your hands covered with shortening.

Hope it helps!! First 2 times I made fondant I was so sad because it was too dry and it was tearing apart every time i tried to roll it.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 8

I would wager what baking girl said is correct. I had that problem once when I grabbed the wrong size bag. I was so frustrated. Then when I figured out the problem I was so happy and I love my Fondant again. icon_wink.gif Hope that is what your problem is, you will be so happy once you try the bigger bag. Good luck. Let us know.

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 8

I had this problem a little bit this past weekend too...part is due to the low humidity in the air ( at least it is where I live), and the other part may be too much sugar. I fix the problem by rubbing some crisco on the surface I am kneading the fondant on, AND rubbing a small amount into my palms of my hands. Just don't over do the crisco, or you will end up with a sticky mess! It's a fine balance! I made SO much fondant the past few days!!!...lol...I made a cake to serve 100 people and the entire 3 teir cake was all fondant ( I made it for a Bat Mitzvah party...it's in my photo gallery here)...so believe me...I had my experience with fondant!...lol...it was funny...I used the same amount of sugar EACH AND EVERY TIME, and each batch came out a little bit different! I also agree that microwaving for a few seconds softens it well. Good luck and try a little crisco and see what happens!

ruty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruty Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you for all your advices. Maybe the size of the marshmallows bag was the problem. But I also want to try the rest of your ideas to see what happens. I'll let you know the results.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 8

You can also put the mixture in the microwave for a few seconds. Get it a little melted again. Then start the kneading process over again. I have had to do that a couple of times. Always keep your hands greased with crisco, but don't over do it. Like someone else said only add the powered sugar a little at a time. I add 1/2 at first then the other 1/2 later. I use exactly 16 oz of marshmello's, 2 T water, food coloring & 1 1/2 t. flavoring to it before microwaving. Then add the PS. Mine always comes out the same. It will only take you a few times to get it right after that you'll be the MMF expert!! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%