What Does A 13Y/o Like

Decorating By cocorum21 Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 12:08am by chaptlps

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 19

I just got a call for a cake for a girl turning 13. Neither me or her mom knows what a 13y/o would want. All I can think of is boys, cell phones, ipods..... Anyone got any ideas? or photos they can link for me....i'm at a loss icon_cool.gif

18 replies
KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 19

Bubble flowers in neon colors are very popular. Are you doing all BC or Fondant or what? Purses, shoes, makeup all come to mind. K'ly

cocorum21 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 19

not sure if it's going to be bc or fondant yet. I thought about the makeup bag. i'll run that by mom

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 19

Ideas that come to mind:
Princess cake
Slumber Party
Make-up
Clothes
Anything that sparkles
Hello Kitty and friends
Boys
Bright colors
Ipods
Music
Movies (favorites?)
Cupcakes

I could go on and on (I used to teach 8th grade icon_eek.gif ) and these are just a few that come to mind. icon_wink.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 19

I may be thinking younger, but isn't High School Musical pretty popular among that age group?

I'm also thinking lots of bright colors.

Melbaby06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melbaby06 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 19

Well, I'm 20 now but I still remember my thirteenth birthday cake like it was yesterday. haha, I guess that means it was good right?? It was a very cute but simple idea too. The cake was a 1/2 sheet or whatever, all buttercream, but decorated to look like a bed. (purple, pink, turqoise bedding and pillows) Then it had a girl laying talking on the phone on it. It was a plastic figurine but this was before the big fondant craze. On the sides of the cake were more plastic figurines like lipstick, makeup, and CD's. I loved it. Just an idea. Hope it helps.

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 19

i'm a little confused that her mother doesn't know what her daughter likes ... maybe i misread it ... anyway, there is a lady on here that does really cool sheet cakes and there are several in bright colors that a thirteen year would like. i also remember a purse cake that was just a rectangle cut at an angle and iced (so it looked like it was laying down not standing up ... very cute and easy to do in buttercream -- not to mention easy to cut)
i'll try to find the name of the lady who does the sheet cakes.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 19

Would you happen to be talking about--Cakery? Her cakes are so festive!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_227883.html

kimkait Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkait Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 19

As the mother of a 14 year old..... Nothing mom likes, boys, flip flops, boys, cell phones, boys, myspace, boys, makeup,boys, ipods, boys. She does like Hello Kitty, high school musical and Bratz, but she would never want anyone to know.(lol) I did her a cake with flip flops and a purse and she loved it.

pidge Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 19

Found it ... Cakery has some great cakes. (As does everyone else on this site!!)
Here is one of them:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_775623.html

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 3:07pm
post #11 of 19

It's really hard to say what a 13 year old girl would like. It depends on her personality. Is she a prissy girl, goth or athletic? That's the first thing you need to know. My daughter is more of a prissy girl. When she turned 13 we had a luau themed party. I bought all the girls grass skirts, leis, etc online in bulk to keep cost down. Her cake was a wonder mold hula girl. They played limbo and other games in the yard. Another idea is the princess theme. Not the doll, but the crowns and decorations that say Princess. At 16, my daughter still likes all the stuff that says Princess, from pillows to houseshoes. I'd think of the iPods and boys and other stuff for a 15 or 16 year old.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 3:15pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocorum21

I just got a call for a cake for a girl turning 13. Neither me or her mom knows what a 13y/o would want. All I can think of is boys, cell phones, ipods..... Anyone got any ideas? or photos they can link for me....i'm at a loss icon_cool.gif

i did a stacked cake for a 16yr old and she wanted fushia pink and black dots and striped turned out really great we had a fabric bow on top done in pink and black then i made the #16 out of fondant and gum paste made it black then took pink edible glitter and scattered that on it she was pleased with it, so maybe dots and stripes

pidge Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 19

Just found this one ... great possiblities http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_92908.html

cocorum21 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 5:30pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkait

As the mother of a 14 year old..... Nothing mom likes, boys, flip flops, boys, cell phones, boys, myspace, boys, makeup,boys, ipods, boys.

I take it they like boys icon_lol.gif

Her mom just didn't have any ideas on what to do with the cake. Thanks for all the ideas and the links! I like the idea of a bed with a girl on the phone. don't know if I could pull that off though. I think I'll do something with makeup, cell phone, and flip flops seems to be the general consensus. Thanks guys!

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:21pm
post #15 of 19

Definitely I would think bags, make-up, shoes, as a newly teenager all the things you were too "young" for before turning 13. Phone, jewellery, I'm a bit concerned to hear her mum doesn't know what she likes?! icon_confused.gif

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:42pm
post #16 of 19

I'm 14 so I am close in age and I think the girl on the bed idea is cute and so is the make up bag. Whatever you do though make sure it is bright and colorful with lots of personality (maybe you should ask what her favorite color is).

Deborah

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:52pm
post #17 of 19

hmmmm ask the mom what the girls favorite music band is......that tells a lot about if they are girlee or tomboyish or into the goth thing.
if it's:
justin timberlake. she's girlee
panic at the disco, she's tomboyish
evanescence, she's into nice goth
lamb of god, she's hardcore goth
Knowing these will help you figure out what style of cake she would like.
Heck, she might even like manga (anime cartoons).
There's a lot out there, some appropriate some not.
LL

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:04am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

hmmmm ask the mom what the girls favorite music band is......that tells a lot about if they are girlee or tomboyish or into the goth thing.
if it's:
justin timberlake. she's girlee
panic at the disco, she's tomboyish
evanescence, she's into nice goth
lamb of god, she's hardcore goth
Knowing these will help you figure out what style of cake she would like.
Heck, she might even like manga (anime cartoons).
There's a lot out there, some appropriate some not.

I don't think you can really group people like that according to what music they like. My 16 y/o daughter loves Evanescence (just saw them live at the Family Values tour a few weekends ago) and she is as girly girl as they come. She would be repelled by a goth cake.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:08am
post #19 of 19

Sorry my bad,
Just tryin to help, but guess o well.......nevermind!!!!! icon_sad.gifthumbsdown.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif
Guess all I was tryin to say was that not all 13 yo girls are into the "pretty in pink" thing. Was just tryin to give more ideas.
I have four girls myself, ranging in ages from 15-22
One likes country western and she's my tomboyish one
One likes pop music, she's my girlee girl
One likes Evanescence, she's my nice goth girl (not even close to hard core all black vampyre stuff)
One likes hip-hop she's my girlee, independant, tomboy
Me, I happen to like black metal (death metal) love the guitar riffs n base lines. But I guess that's just my weird little family.
Basically was just goin on personal experience here....but like I said, O well, nevermind.......... tapedshut.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%