momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 6

HOW DO YOU MAKE A MARBLE CAKE?

5 replies
aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 6

there's several approaches you could take. swirl yellow/white cake batter into chocolate (or vice-versa) or spoon alternating cake batter into the pan. most commerical marble cake mixes have directions on the package. if you're baking from scratch and you can't find a specific marble cake recipe, look for compatible yellow/white and chocolate cake recipes (similar ingredients, bake time, etc.). i'm rather fond of mary ford's all-in-one butter sponge cake recipe, and it is easily made into chocolate with the substitution of some of the flour with cocoa.

now, i'm assuming you meant marble cake, and not a cake that looks like marble or a marble (like the round toy). to decorate a cake to look like marble, streak rolled fondant in the colour of your choice. icon_smile.gif making a cake to look like a marble would be mighty tricky, since marbles are dark and translucent.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 6

I take out about a cup or so of the cake batter that I'm going to use for my cake (usually white or it could be yellow too) and add some chocolate to it .. I drop tablespoonfuls randomly over the layers to be baked and then I take a butter knife and swirl it through the cake batter make sure not to touch the sides or bottom of the pan ... I've never bought the marble cake mixes as it just find it too easy to do it myself icon_biggrin.gif

dackn8tr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dackn8tr Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 6

when i make a marble cake i usually make 2 at a time and just freeze the 2nd one. make a batch of white/yellow and a batch of chocolate and alternate cupfulls of batter in the pan. on a 1/4 sheet i put 1c. white/1c. choc/1c. white on one row and the next row reverse it 1c. choc/1c. white/1c. choc and keep that pattern up until you've filled the pan. then take a knife and swirl it together, don't swirl so much that you mix them together though

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 6:14am
post #5 of 6

I know when most people think of a marble cake they immediately think of chocolate and yellow or chocolate and white.

I make a rainbow marble cake that's A hit with the kids. I use a pound cake batter. Half of The batter I put in to the pan. The other half I divide into two bowls and colour one lime green and the other pink. Then I place blobs of the 2 colours in to the pan with the uncoloured batter and I take the knife and gently swirl the 3 colours together. Take care not to over swirl and do NOT scrape the bottom of the baking pan. The result is a cool tri-colour marble cake.

Yes, i know it sounds weird but remember that The term marble refers to the pattern in the cake not the flavor. You Are not limited by colour or flavour when making a marble cake. Have fun with it.

Princess

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 6

I'm so glad I opened up this post I have been looking for all kinds of different cakes from scracth and I have gotton some great recipes . And know I have learned how to ad them together. I also like the idea about frizzing one of those cakes so nothing gets wasted .
What am I talking about cakes NEVER go to waste here.

I bet every one could relate to that!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%