Why Doesn't It Rise Over The Top?

Decorating By cassi_g16 Updated 27 Aug 2007 , 7:42am by diane

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:53am
post #1 of 12

It doesn't matter if I measure my batter to what Wilton says or if I fill up to 2/3 full my cakes never rise up level with the top of my pan icon_rolleyes.gif. I use Duncan Hines brand cake mix and occasionally add the extender but no matter what i have to eyeball my cake level. I want to be able to level before removing from the pan so I know it is level!! I have a horrible eye for that kind of thing. I use the wilton pans if this makes a difference.

ps I level with a knife, i don't have a leveler.

11 replies
Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:17am
post #2 of 12

I would recommend filling them 3/4 full. I always fill mine that full and it always rises above the pan (with a "few" minor spill-overs - LOL). I also use Duncan Hines with an extender.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:20am
post #3 of 12

Are you using baking strips and lowering your oven temp? I use the strips and bake at 325 (I'm a Betty Crocker person) and mine almost always rise higher than the pan. I never measure the batter ... I just know how many mixes go in what pans.

Also, I grease-only and never flour my pans. Haven't done that in over 25 years. I believe this helps a cake rise higher, too. Pops out of the pan better, IMHO.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:27am
post #4 of 12

I use the Wilton chart as a guide, but I don't measure my batter out with a measuring cup. I usually fill my pans about 1/2 to 2/3 full and they rise to the top almost every time.

I do bake at 325 for every size and use bake even strips.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:29am
post #5 of 12

Hmmm ~ maybe I need to try the Bake Even strips. It might save me some money in the long run by not having to use as much batter thumbs_up.gif .

I also bake at 325.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:32am
post #6 of 12

Is the middle rising up to the top of the pan or above and not the edges? or is the entire cake below the top edge of the pan?

MoGurL80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoGurL80 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:36am
post #7 of 12

I use "Baker's Joy" cooking spray. It already has the flour in it and have NEVER had any problems. I love that stuff!! Everything rises and comes out perfectly. It's in a blue and white bottle. thumbs_up.gif

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:45am
post #8 of 12

The middle is doming up well over the top but the sides are usually 1/4 to 1/2 an inch from rising to the top.

LiliS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiliS Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:10am
post #9 of 12

cassi, I get the same thing happening to my cakes. I dont know what I'm doing wrong!!!!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:10am
post #10 of 12

i get the same doming probem also. and depending how they dome- i found a quick cheap solution for leveling is before removing them from the pan- take some dental floss and simply "slice" your way through icon_smile.gif works just like a leveler.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 6:14am
post #11 of 12

A tip I learned on here was if after it bakes, cool for 10, then dump... but leave the pan on the cake on the rack to cool. I started doing this, and I swear the cakes are almost always level, and I had the same problem too. Also, as an added benefit, the pan held in the moisture so that the cake wasn't dry.

The tip was Brandisbaked. Thanks Brandi!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:42am
post #12 of 12

i read somewhere about adding meringue powder to your cake mix...i tried this, but i wasn't happy with the results, so i just use the even strips and fill my pans 3/4 full.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%