Im Mad Upset And Laughing All At The Same Time!!!

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 22 Aug 2007 , 1:25am by kjgjam22

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:19pm
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys90

I had a guy at work order a cheesecake for a family party. I charge $25. Now, I should have known better. I didn't get my money up front! He didn't have any change, and neither did I.

What?!? icon_surprised.gif No checkbook? Can't he run to the bank at his lunch hour? He WORKS, right?! So then, here's what you do...take the larger bills and tell him YOU will hold onto the cash while he runs and gets smaller bills!!

HA!!

I had that happen to me....work with guys making triple digit $alary and so I took the larger bills and "held them for a day" while they went and got smaller bills.

....only takes ONE TIME for people to catch on!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:25pm
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK

I've got a guy I work with that regularly tells me he wouldn't pay for one of my cakes which I think is fair and fine but why he tells me several times a week is beyond me.. icon_confused.gif

So when you bring your cake in for work parties -- he wants to eat it..hum?? My response to him: "NO CAKE FOR YOU! icon_evil.gif "

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:26pm
post #33 of 46

This happens here all the time, sure wished I had enough back bone to do as you did. I am still working on saying NO even after all of the sob stories but it is sooooooo HARD to say NO. I am sorry you had this experience but you handled it like a pro. Cong. and a pat on your back, you did good.

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:35pm
post #34 of 46

Good for you! thumbs_up.gif
I love a woman who stands up for herself! Glad you didn't cave!

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:40pm
post #35 of 46

That chaps me that she would want YOU to work on Labor Day weekend for FREE! People!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:53pm
post #36 of 46

LMAO I didn't even think about it ....Labor day for free hmmmmmm LMAO

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:58pm
post #37 of 46

And since your families have known each other forever, why doesn't she just give you free checking, 0% interest loans, and drop an extra dollar in your account every week?

Oh, wait, because the bank is in business to MAKE MONEY. What a coincedence! So are you!!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:20pm
post #38 of 46

That old story of not having the right change is just that...an old story. I had a lady I dealt with buying Jafra from me. I would tell her exactly what she owed me and she would always show up with a big bill. Finally told her to go get change if I didn't have it here and then she could get her makeup.

When I owned a bar I had one customer who would always flash $100 bills thinking I didn't have change. I ALWAYS kept change in the safe for this very reason. The girls were always ready for him. I have seen him pull it in other places and get a free drink because they didn't have change. (Mind you, I am talking about small towns, small bars) icon_lol.gif

Amazing that the cheesecake was full of hair but he didn't bring it back. Trust me. If I bought something full of hair, they would get it back along with a piece of my mind (maybe that's what's wrong with me--I've given too many pieces of it away and I don't have enough left).

Diane

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:28pm
post #39 of 46

Oh whew Wgoat5. I am so glad you understood what I was saying, because the last thing I wanted to do was make this worst for you. Just was giving some hard earned advice and hoping newbie's will learn from our mistakes. icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:35pm
post #40 of 46

OH Believe me I understand completely....and shall there be any more all of sudden I need a wedding reception cake done YESTERDAY there will STILL be a meeting at my location and not theirs at MY convienence IF I have the time.

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:39pm
post #41 of 46

You should have told her that if all she wanted to pay for was ingredients, she could go to the grocery store, buy the ingredients, and make the cake HERSELF!

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:49pm
post #42 of 46

Hey Christi - I know I'm in WV, but it's really just one state over from you, so would you mind bringing your portfolio over so I can take a look. No, no, don't bother telling me your prices first...I'm sure you can just do a couple of cakes for me at cost...right? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

You did a great job of handling this woman - much better than I would have, for sure!!! thumbs_up.gif

Bec

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:49pm
post #43 of 46

lionladydi, you are absolutely right. Believe me, I get my money in advance now! But this guy was as cheap as the day is long.

He tried to talk me into going into the cake business with his wife. They'd supply the money, I'd supply the expertise...which basically told me I'd be doing all the work with her looking over my shoulder the whole time! No thanks! I work on my own schedule, when I want, and for whom I want. I have a full-time job..the cakes are a wonderful hobby for me that happen to make me some extra cash. icon_wink.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 6:52pm
post #44 of 46

Good For you!

Cake on!

And no cake for them!

kathys90 and JanetK : please dont ever let these guys enjoy any of you baking, not even at work. icon_twisted.gif They absolutely do not deserve any of it!

Good Luck!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 10:02pm
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

...they already got married and we want to have a reception here locally so our friends and family can come...not serving anything but cake and punch for them..."Well you know, I do love all your cakes but really we JUST WANTED A SHEET CAKE" plain basic no frills ...Just maybe a couple to feed 150 people.....I say ok well JUST a SHEET cake still runs 2.50 a serving. her response "Oh really? Hmmmm...well can you do 2 for UNDER 70??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

They want to invite 150 people to a reception with just punch and "basic, no frills" sheet cake, for a couple who is already married?!?! Sounds like the greed goes a bit deeper...can we say trolling for gifts?

I've got nothing against cake and punch receptions, but if all you are having is cake, make sure it is a nice one!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:25am
post #46 of 46

i like what you said to her also. i know i wouldnt have had the nerve. i would have just said no to the lowering of the price and left....but yes why did she make you waste your gas and go to her...she should have been upfront with you over the phone about the price and the sheet cake..thats the part that gets me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%