Uhhh... Glycerin Is A Suppository?!

Decorating By shoup_family Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 1:21pm by shaekae81

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 6:13am
post #1 of 27

I'm trying to make Michelle Foster's fondant. Glycerin is an ingredient that is calls for. Someone on cake central said it was in the health food section at Walmart. I couldn't find it so I asked and they said they no longer carry the liquid only the SUPPOSITORIES!! So, can someone help point me in the right direction of what I should be looking for.

Thanks!

26 replies
KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 6:18am
post #2 of 27

Glycerin is an ingredient in a lot of things- suppositories being a big one. Soap is another one..You can get food-grade glycerin from Wilton in the cake decorating section of Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 6:18am
post #3 of 27

Wilton makes it, and sells it in a bottle that looks like this:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=708-14&CMP=AFC-CCF

I know that Walmart has downsized the Wilton area in some stores, so maybe that's why they don't have it any more.

RedPanda

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 6:20am
post #4 of 27

you can also find it at micheals in the cake decorating section

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 27

I found a bottle of Humco Glycerin in the baby section. It says it's a skin protectant. It was much cheaper than Wilton's. Do you all think it's food safe?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

I found a bottle of Humco Glycerin in the baby section. It says it's a skin protectant. It was much cheaper than Wilton's. Do you all think it's food safe?

doubt it.

unless specifically sold as a food additive, then don't assume it is safe.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

If the intent was not for food, I suggest not using it.

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 27

I asked a pharmacist if it was food safe (the kind in the bottle that says it is for skin) and she said no. But that would make a yummy laxative.... icon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 27

here is a web site with some info on Glycerin:
http://www.cleaning101.com/oleo/whygly.cfm
K

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 27

ROFL thinking about using suppositories in fondant. Some people think it tastes like A$$ anyway... icon_lol.gif

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.cleaning101.com/oleo/whygly4.cfm

The FCC or the Food Chemicals Codex is an internationally recognized compendium of monographs covering food ingredients. It contains specifications for many direct food additives, such as glycerin. The Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences developed and maintains the FCC. The FDA also supports this compendium. The specifications for food grade glycerin given in the FCC are generally comparable to those given in the USP.

sounds like food grade and USP are the same....?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:02pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdqueen

ROFL thinking about using suppositories in fondant. Some people think it tastes like A$$ anyway... icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif I just shot coffee thru my nose....literally!! rotflmao!!!!

marthajo1 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 27

also.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.cleaning101.com/oleo/whygly4.cfm

In all applications, whether as a reactant or as an additive, the virtual non-toxicity and overall safety of glycerin is always of significant benefit.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:13pm
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gakali

I asked a pharmacist if it was food safe (the kind in the bottle that says it is for skin) and she said no. But that would make a yummy laxative.... icon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif

icon_lol.gif I think I'll just stick with wilton's. I don't want my cakes to be that kind of memorable.

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:19pm
post #15 of 27

My kids would LOVE it if I gave them fondant instead of bran muffins when they were constipated!! tapedshut.gificon_lol.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:30pm
post #16 of 27

I think I'd stick to the stuff packaged for food use, you don't know how different the handling is for the preperation of the stuff for other applications. They might not have to be quite as clean as a food plant might be.
You wouldn't buy animal grade corn or oats either.

marthajo1 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:02pm
post #17 of 27

does somebody besides wilton make it for food use?

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:20am
post #18 of 27

i found the title of that thread so funnny. it looks like a bullet. icon_smile.gif

ApelilaRains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApelilaRains Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:20pm
post #19 of 27

I was trying to do as much research on the Glycerin USP versus food grade and this is what I found.

[url]http://www.scribd.com/doc/21120580/Why-Glycerin-Usp

[quote]The abbreviation USP stands for United States Pharmacopeia, a document first published in 1820 by the Medical Society of New York State. Recognized as official by Congress in 1848, this document was used as a standard reference by physicians for prescribing medicines. Today, the USP includes chemical descriptions, identifying tests, and purity tests, primarily for active ingredients. All materials listed in the USP are considered drugs by law and subject to all the U.S. Food & Drug Administration requirements pertaining to drugs. Labeling a product or a substance as USP implies that it conforms to all the legal requirements of the FDA and that it was produced in accordance with the principles outlined in FDAs Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)[quote]

[quote]The Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences developed and maintains the FCC. The FDA also supports this compendium. The specifications for food grade glycerin given in the FCC are generally comparable to those given in the USP

Quote:
Quote:

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:28am
post #20 of 27

Heres a thread from 2009 about glycerine. All4cakes states she contacted Humco to find out if their glycerin is food safe. From the Reps, I don't really care if I'm talking to you, response to all4cakes, I'd never buy their brand, food safe or not.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-645763-.html

From Humco website. I did a search on thier products list. Humco glycerin is listed under health and beauty, no mention of food use. Here's a break down on Humco glycerin, USP FCC

http://www.humco.com/assets/pdf/1031-Glycerin.pdf

I get mine at my local cake shop, its sold in tubs the same size as a 500 gram cottage cheese. Its also at my local Michaels. I don't think I'd buy it anywhere else as I'd worry about it being unsafe, and end up never using it.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #21 of 27

Oh ha ha! I just this moment noticed the date this topic was started! I'm guessing by now, its been looooooong figured out!! icon_lol.gif

DmdJoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DmdJoe Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:39pm
post #22 of 27

When purchasing Glycerin for your cake mixtures, please make sure to purchase USP labeled Glycerin. ('icon_biggrin.gif') USP means it has been approved for direct food additive use. Do NOT purchase Technical Grade Glycerin for your cakes. Technical Grade does not have the additives that makes Glycerin safe for consumption.('icon_razz.gif')

Also, ask for Vegetable based Glycerin. This will ensure you are using safe ingredients.

I found a good site that has the certificate of Kosher, the USP labeling, and they meet the requirements for safe Glycerin use in food applications. They sell it in 1 gallon Glycerin USP containers directly online.

Vegetable Glycerin

Food Grade Glycerin

Hopes this helps you out. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:20am
post #23 of 27

You think that's bad? I love using mineral oil to oil my rolling pins and season my wooden cutting boards. I like the mineral oil because it's tasteless, doesn't have a smell to it and never goes rancid. Where can I find it?? In the LAXATIVE dept at the drugstore! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

Jokerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jokerz Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:50am
post #24 of 27

The least expensive food grade glycerin I've found is at stores that sell wine-making supplies.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:16am
post #25 of 27

If you ate a spoonful of the wilton glycerin you would have a nice smooth bathroom experience too. icon_wink.gif It's technically the same, only the Wilton woudl be a more pure form.

LOL

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:25am
post #26 of 27

A bakery / candy supply store has food grade FDA approved glycerin and if you use enough you can buy it in the 1 gallon jug for like $39.00 the small bottles of Wilton only allow enough for 1 recipe of Micheals fondant with a little bit left over so Wilton's is quite expensive that way.
Good luck.

shaekae81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaekae81 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:21pm
post #27 of 27

I live in Germany and get my glycerin from the local pharmacy in my village. The pharmasist told me they use it as a laxative and was confused on how I would use it in baking...lol But the amount in MFF that makes 5 lbs of fondant is not enough to give you the runs...lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%