Wilton Color Mist Food Spray - Anyone Used??

Decorating By sweetchef Updated 17 Aug 2007 , 2:53am by deebird

sweetchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchef Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 14

I need to airbrush a cake for this weekend. I rarely get orders for that look, so I hate to invest in an expensive airbrush with a pump. I was going to try the Wilton Color Mist Food Spray. Has anyone tried it? Does it give a nice, even look?

13 replies
Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 14

I have a hard time with it, but it might just be me. I seem to get patches that are WAY darker than others. Also, it tends to make a mess so make sure you cover the surface you use with a tablecloth or something. icon_smile.gif I ended up with a partial purple table top.

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 14

I have used the color mist in the can. It worked fine for me. I had to spray outside though because the mist goes every wher. I didnt take a pic butI colored cupcakes covered in fondant and everyone was amazed.

cakemom1997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom1997 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 14

ive used it. i used it on the butterflies n flowers sheet cake in my pictures. worked fine dont know how well it would work if u had to do alot of detail though.

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 14

I have purple, blue and green to try this weekend, for a tinker bell cake, can you let me know how it goes, does it run?

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 14

It doesn't run unless you spray too much in one place. Make sure you practice before you do it on the cake. You'll have to know how much pressure to give it.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 14

I used the blue and the green on the housewarming cake in my photos. You could put the cake in a large box and spray it, so you won't get spray on everything. It is easy clean-up if done right away.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 14

I've used it and really liked the effect. I used black on a white cake with black roses and border, to give the whole thing a softer look and some depth. It worked very well and was no problem. I covered my dining table with a few sheets of newspaper and then rolled it all up when I was finished. No problem with clean up. Start with a light touch, you can always add more. Use it just like you do spray paint. To avoid runs keep the can moving and don't get too close.

sweetchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchef Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks everybody! Yes, it is good advise to ALWAYS spray inside a large cardboard box! I'm doing a skyline-themed cake with chocolate buildings on a tiered cake. I don't need any details just a blue fading sky with hints of orange for a background. The spray seemed like a quick, cheap solution.

I was also concerned about the color running, not when you're spraying it on...but when you take the buttercream cake out of the cooler and it sweats a little (I live in 100 degree heat, so everything sweats!). Do you think it would run?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:32pm
post #10 of 14

Never had that problem here in the 90 degree heat. I sprayed one cake that was covered in whipped cream and it faded a tad bit in the fridge, but no running. I never had a fading problem with BC.

patriciaab668 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patriciaab668 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 14

I have used the spray i loved it just make sure you practice first I used it on my dd's tinkerbell cake (in my pics). It held up good in the humidity just remember practice so you get the feel of how it sprays.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:43am
post #12 of 14

don't try to spray anything too detailed...that probably goes for all airbrushing tho. i tried to spray roses red boy what a mess haha icon_biggrin.gif

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:06am
post #13 of 14

I used the spray for a tinkerbell cake in my photos. pretty easy, and i really liked the way it turned out. i agree, it can be messy!

I've had problems with black, not sure if it was just that 1 can or if black is a crappy color.

deebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deebird Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:53am
post #14 of 14

I've used it several times and have had good results everytime. I do agree that you might want to do it outside because it does leave a film on everything and also don't hold the can too close because it will clump up but other than that I really do like it. I've used every color and they all turned out great! Good Luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%