First Fbct. What Did I Do Wrong???

Decorating By formerbuckeye Updated 12 Aug 2007 , 1:14am by formerbuckeye

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 10

This is my first attempt with a FBCT and may be my last if I can't figure ou what I did wrong. I used the recommended icing, but it just turned out looking sloppy. I did not outline in black, but outlined each section in the color it would be. Suggestions please! I see so many on CC that are wonderful but I am very unhappy with my first attempt.

Thanks,
Sandra
LL

9 replies
chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 10

i think outlining in a different color, black or a darker shade of the same color, would give it more definition.

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 10

I think it looks GREAT for your first try. But I too am challenged sometimes because I get texture in mine. So, next time, maybe after you have completed it and put the wax paper on top, gently push down on it with you fingers/hands so that the icing fills in the crevices and looks smooth.

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 10

My 5-year old daughter just saw it, and LOVES it. She said she wants that cake for her next birthday and she's picky so see, you did a really beautiful job!

JanetPlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetPlanet Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 10

Go read the thread on Crisco problems if you used that in your recipe... it was mentioned there that people were having runny FBCT problems since Crisco changed their formula to eliminate trans-fats.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 10

One thing I have learned about these is that sometimes it takes a few tries to get them to our liking. Don't give up on it after the first try. Give it another chance or two.

When I make these, I make my all crisco buttercream that I use for all my decorations. I don't really see the point of making a seperate icing just for them, when what I use works just fine. I use a soft medium for mine.

You don't have to outline in black. I've done both ways depending on the image. Some things need more defination, other's don't. It also depends on the look you are going for. When they are outlined in black it reminds me sometimes of coloring book pages that are colored in. Not a bad thing, just not always the look you are going for.

Yours looks very nice. Don't give up on it, you may find you really like it after a few more tries.

formerbuckeye Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone for your great advice and encouragement. I'm such a perfectionist that I think everything should be perfect first try. icon_cry.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 10

Wouldn't it be nice if everything came out perfect the first time around? Unfortuntely sometimes it doesn't and we have to work for it. But then again sometimes having to work for it makes the sucess that much sweeter.

camillethecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camillethecat Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 11:48pm
post #9 of 10

I think it looks really cute. I have yet to try FBCT myself.

formerbuckeye Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 1:14am
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone. BTW: All of your BCTs look wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%