Can You Tell Me What's Wrong With This???????

Decorating By krazeekaker Updated 11 Aug 2007 , 9:39pm by krazeekaker

krazeekaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazeekaker Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 10

I don't know what to make of people anymore. I had a customer call last Wednesday for a cake for a baby shower. She wanted it to look like a cloth diaper with one pin in the middle, nothing else. I kept asking her if she wanted more decoration on it and she said no. So I ask her how many servings she wanted and she said 25 or 30. So I proceed to take a half a sheet and cut it down to resemble a diaper, cover it in buttercream and fondant, add a pin, throw in an extra pin on the board because I thought it looked way too plain, and added a border. Well she comes to pick it up about an hour ago and from the moment I opened the cake box I knew something was wrong. I asked her if it wasn't what she pictured and she said, "well....no". I asked what did she want and she said she wanted it smaller. I was thinking to myself...you're wanting to feed up to 30 people...any smaller, there's not going to be enough. Me myself I'd be ticked because it looked so plain but that's just me. Now I thought it looked great for what it was...my fondant was smooth, my border came out good...I'd of been happy with it. Heck I would of been happy just because of the price I charged her. I only charged her $40. I know I didn't charge enough but since she was a friend of a friend I was trying to be nice. Just proves a lesson I learned long ago....no good deed goes unpunished. Anyway, here it is in all it HUGE boring splendor.
LL

9 replies
Danni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danni Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 10

I don't see anything wrong with it. If you had made it smaller, she probably would have complained that it was not big enough.

krazeekaker Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 10

that's what i thought also. guess you can't please everyone but it doesn't do your ego any good when you run into someone like that.
thanks for taking the time to look and to post.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 10

It looks exactly like you explained to her. I wouldn't worry about it especially since you were nice enough to do it at a discount.

Have a great rest of the weekend and be proud of it!
thumbs_up.gif

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 10

oh I saw the picture last and it was exactly ,how I was thinking it should look like.Your cake was right on spot.You did a good job.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 10

Well I guess SHE woke up on the wrong side of the bed because there is NOTHING wrong with that cake at all!!!

You should be proud of it! It's smooth, perfect looking & exactly what she ordered! icon_wink.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 10

You did an awesome job, your Fondant is flawless and you made exactly what she asked for.

Unless she wanted to server "petit four" size piece of cake, you did an awesome job.

Dont worry about it.

Good Luck

sweetiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiemama Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, what do customers expect? icon_confused.gif They ask for something so simple...and then are disappointed. Your cake looks great, I am sure once she fed all those people she was glad you did it that big!thumbs_up.gif Sweetiemama

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 10

Some people are just never happy! Your cake is lovely.

krazeekaker Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 10

thanks everyone! i do feel better about it now but what i didn't mention in my earlier post was that i helped her carry it out to her car when she was leaving and i told her it needed to be laid flat so the fondant did crease, well she just flopped it in the backseat of her car on top of a blanket. no telling what that cake looked like once she got it to where ever she was going. oh well, you live and learn.

thanks again everyone, you all have lifted my spirits and i'm so very thankful.
::::Big Hugz::::

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%