Help Me Quick, Iced Frozen Cake Now It Is Perspiring

Decorating By lfkeller Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 5:29pm by christielee

lfkeller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lfkeller Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 10

I froze my layers for the wedding cake I am making. I took them out to ice while they were frozen. Now water drops are standing on top! What do I do. Will it be okay? Guess I won't be able to smooth it out with the paper towel method because I don't think they are going to crust. I can use the hot spatula though.

But please, someone tell me about the droplets of water on top!

9 replies
Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 10

I can't help you but I'm in the same boat icon_cry.gif I iced then froze a cake and took it out today to finish the border and there's water droplets all over it. I'm nervous that the icing is going to start to slide off the sides.

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 10

Don't Fret icon_eek.gif

As the cake comes to room temp, the condensation will disipate as well. Just leave it out long enough and you will be able to use the paper towel method as soon as the icing crusts over again at room temp. You can also use the Melvira Method of smoothing out the icing (using a high density paint roller). The method is here on CC.

Good luck!

kiddoscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiddoscakes Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 10

I used to have this problem also.. I had fully decorated cakes that looked horrible b/c i did all of it while it was frozen.. Now i do my crust coat while it is frozen and let it thaw at room temperature before i do the top coat of icing. The water drops do go back into the icing.

lfkeller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lfkeller Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 10

I was really worried that I had messed up big time. I used the hot spatual methond to smooth since it didn't crust because of the droplets. But the next day I took a papertowel to dab up what little bit of water was left on top.

It wasn't a disaster after all.

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 10

If you defrost the cake and then put into the oven for 5 minutes, maybe that can help with the water...

clayberrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clayberrycakes Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 10

I did the same thing, this past weekend I did my nieces wedding cake i baked it on wed. and froze it as well, which I have done lots of times, took it out and iced it on friday, it was so smooth until, those water droplets started to develope. it ended up being more than droplets water was standing on top of my cake i was so nervous i kept goin back all day long to try and fix the problem i dabbed it with paper towers i scraped off the icing where the other cake would be stacked, i finally went to bed about 1 am and guess what i was up again at 3 am tryin to fix this cake, the wedding was saturday at 7 pm and they loved the cake but i think the water made the smoothness not look so good, it was really hot here and i think it was the high humitity that caused this to happen.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 10

I used to frost my cakes while frozen all of the time but the last few cakes i've done this with i've had this same problem. I figured it was the humidity but i'm not sure. The cake I made for yesterday I took out and placed in the fridge the night before so it could thaw and then iced it in the morning. It turned out great.

Debbie

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 10

Be careful when you frost frozen cakes. Condensation will form but once it has completely thawed it normally goes away but you may run the risk of your cakes expanding a little once they warm up to room temp and the forsting splitting. This happened to me once a couple of years ago on a weeding cake icon_cry.gif and then again 2 weeks ago on a last minute order for a bridal shower cake. Luckily I had some white chocolate to make curls to cover up the cracks. Now I just tort and fill my layer layers before freezing. I dont frost them until they have thawed at least 70%. icon_biggrin.gif

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 10

Okay, I was wondering about this. If you forget to take your cakes out the freezer when you wake up, cause you have organizational issues icon_redface.gif , do your cakes have to be completely defrosted not to have the condensation thing happen, or if they are just still a little frozen, is it okay??

Chrisite

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%