How Far In Advance Can I Make My Gumpaste/mmf Decorations?

Decorating By amiegirl Updated 11 Aug 2007 , 2:38am by ape

amiegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amiegirl Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:35am
post #1 of 7

My daughter is going to be blessed in church on the 2nd of September. I'm making a cake for the occasion and was wondering how far in advance I can do this? They will be gumpaste and/or fondant. Thanks again everyone!

Amie

6 replies
cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:49am
post #2 of 7

Decorations - go ahead. I did calla lilies over a month ahead - no problem - just keep them dust/moisture free.

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:56am
post #3 of 7

I haven't used MMF, but gumpaste will keep for a VERY long time - my MIL still has the flowers I made for her 25th anniversary (2nd wedding!) 15 years later! icon_eek.gif She keeps them under a glass dome to keep out dust and moisture and they still look great.

amiegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amiegirl Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much! Do either of you know of a good gum paste recipe? I have one on the side of the gum tex tub... is that one ok?

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 7

Here is a recipe for gumpaste that many CC'ers have raved about. It is from Nicholas Lodge...
http://www.ladycakes.com/Recipes/Frostings/GumPaste%20.htm

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:19am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbeeBaker

Here is a recipe for gumpaste that many CC'ers have raved about. It is from ...
http://www.ladycakes.com/Recipes/Frostings/GumPaste%20.htm

I, too, use Nicholas Lodge's Recipe a lot, but I also use this one for finer work - it dries quickly and is very strong. Sometimes I use a combination of the two. This recipe takes a while to make, but is well worth the effort.

2 level teaspoons gelatine
6 teaspoons (1 fl. oz) water
1 large egg white
3 teaspoons gum tragacanth
3 cups pure icing sugar - well sifted
1 1/2 oz white fat (Copha, Crisco or similar) softened until almost liquid
Additional 1/2 cup iciing sugar for kneading

Method:

Soak gelatine in the water for 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat half the icing sugar with all the gum trag. in oven at 150C for 15 minutes. Dissolve the gelatine/water mix carefully in microwave until completely clear (Do not boil!), add white fat and stir till dissolved (nuke for a couple of secs if needed). Add the liquid to the heated sugar mixture together with egg white. Mix well. Gradually add the remaining sugar until mixture is smooth, pliable and white.

Place into a plastic-lined, airtight container and allow to stand for at least 24 hours. This paste improves to a very fine paste the longer you leave it.

HTH!!

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:38am
post #7 of 7

amiegirl...you can use plain old wilton gumpaste...no one will be eating it anyway and it holds up really well. Buy it at hobby lobby/michael's with a coupon and you're all ready to start!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%