How Far In Advance Can I Make Fondant Decorations?

Decorating By mycuprunnethover Updated 2 Aug 2007 , 11:33pm by RICKASH

mycuprunnethover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mycuprunnethover Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 4

My daughter's 4th birthday is in Sept. and I was wondering how far in advance I could make the fondant Hello Kitty decorations for her cake if I place them in an air tight container. Could they get too dry and crack?
This will be my first time making her birthday cake and I am very nervous, but I think I can do it. thumbs_up.gif

My sister just made her first 2 cakes and they were awesome. We are bound and determined to start making our own cakes. The days of spending $100+ on birthday cakes is hopefully over!!

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 4

In an airtight container they won't have a chance to dry and may 'melt'

If you want the items to be dry, start now.

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 4

What kind of decorations are you making? If it is going to be a 3-D Hello Kitty that no one will eat and you want it to be dry I would leave it out. If you are making decoarations to lay flat on the cake an air tight container should be fine...I have made fondant decorations in advance before and they stay pretty good if you keep them air tight.

RICKASH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RICKASH Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 4

mycuprunnethover

I have made fondant decorations in advance no problems. If you want your decorations hard make them now if you want and they will be good. I recently did a cake for my son and made some of his decorations 6 weeks in advance. I didnt want them to harden so I put them on parchment paper in an airtight container with one corner lifted up alittle. This way they didnt dry out and become hard nor did they sweat. And they were nice and fresh. It was like I'd made them that day. Hope this helps. Here is a pic of my son's cake.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_832693.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%