To Freeze Or Not To Freeze?

Decorating By Marva Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 8:09pm by cakebaker1957

Marva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marva Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 11

Hello everyone. I have a wedding cake due for Saturday, August 11. The tiers will be 6,9, and 12 inch tiers. Unfortunately, my freezer is rather small. In fact, it will only hold the 6 and 9 inch tiers. The 12 inch tier is too big. So, my question is, do I have to freeze my cakes? Or is it okay to just put them in the fridge until I'm ready to decorate them? I don't want them to dry out... Please, help me! Any advice will truly be a big help.

10 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 11

If you can wait until the day before to bake the largest layer, refrigeration would be fine. I always prefer to start with the freshest cake possible, just in case.

Marva Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 12:59am
post #3 of 11

thank you so much. That's a good idea. Hadn't thought about doing that. Thanks again...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:14am
post #4 of 11

I try to freeze everything at least overnight. Layers are easier to handle and many experts believe that freezing locks in the moisture (literally.) I'd go ahead and freeze the smaller two tiers and bake the larger at the last minute.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 11

I am with Leahs..........I try to freeze everything, it does lock in moisture.......and big tiers are easier to handle while still partially frozen........

Marva Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you to everyone for the advice. Have a great day and keep on decorating...

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I try to freeze everything at least overnight. Layers are easier to handle and many experts believe that freezing locks in the moisture (literally.) I'd go ahead and freeze the smaller two tiers and bake the larger at the last minute.

Leahs, can you frost these cakes while there still frozen or is this not a good ideal, Thanks

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 11

Do you frost the cakes while they're still frozen? If so, how long does it take the cake to thaw once it's covered in buttercream? Do you go ahead and decorate or do you wait until it's completely thawed? Sorry for all the questions, I just had never heard of icing a frozen cake. Chilled, yes, frozen no.

Mickig icon_smile.gif

Marcelita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcelita Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 11

Refrigerating overnight would be okay but keep in mind that doing this does dry out the cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 11

Freezing is better than refrigerating a cake. (It's a humidity thing between your freezer and fridge.)

Yes you can fill your cakes frozen and put on a thin crumb coat, but really that's as far as you should go while they're frozen. I pull out of the freezer, fill and wrap on Thursday. Let the cakes settle overnight, frost and further decorate on Friday and deliver on Saturday.

I bake from scratch only and a scratch cake takes about 20 minutes to thaw.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Freezing is better than refrigerating a cake. (It's a humidity thing between your freezer and fridge.)

Yes you can fill your cakes frozen and put on a thin crumb coat, but really that's as far as you should go while they're frozen. I pull out of the freezer, fill and wrap on Thursday. Let the cakes settle overnight, frost and further decorate on Friday and deliver on Saturday.

I bake from scratch only and a scratch cake takes about 20 minutes to thaw.

Thanks Leahs, if i tried a scratch cake they would scratch there heads wondering what in the world this was,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%