Baking Strips

Decorating By JuneHawk Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 4:30am by imagine76

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 20

Am I the only person who finds them totally usless? I use thema s directed and the cakes still bluge on top and cook more on the edges than in the center. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but they just don't work for me! Anyone else have this same problem? I will try the flower nail method next time and see how that goes.

June

19 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 20

For some cakes, it helps prevent the edges from baking too fast, but you can still get a lift in the center.

Flower nails work great for even baking. I use one or more in almost every cake. The more dense the cake the more useful the nails are for even baking.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 20

I wont' bake a cake without them. They do not guarantee "no doming". They help the cake bake more evenly. Yes, there will be some doming, but NOTHING to extent of what you'd get without them. They are the only thing I use .... no baking cores or flower nails, not even in my 16" round or my 14x22 rectangle.

Are you wetting them with really cold water? That may help. Here's a thread that explains the science behind the baking strips: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3467363#3467363

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 20

I'm with Indydebi - would not make a cake without them. Try lowering your baking temperature by 25 degrees and make sure you soak them (submerged) in cold water long enough.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 20

I use them on all my cakes as they really help bake them evenly. On bigger cakes, I use a flower nail and the bake even strips.

TJ777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJ777 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 20

I use them on all of my cakes. There is still doming, but it is sooo much better than without them. How do you guys use flower nails? I've never heard of that b4.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:38am
post #7 of 20

I actually soak mine in ice water. Mine are stored rolled up and before I start baking, I fill a bowl with water and ice. I put the strips down in the water and squeeze the air out and then put a small plate or something on top to hold them under water. Then, when the batter is in the pans, I squeeze out the excess water and wrap them around and pin.

Yesterday, I make a WASC cake in 10" pans and they cake out perfectly flat. I didn't have to level at all, which was disappointing because I was going to use the scraps to try out Cake Balls. icon_smile.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:50am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ777

I use them on all of my cakes. There is still doming, but it is sooo much better than without them. How do you guys use flower nails? I've never heard of that b4.

I use flower nails on 10" pans and larger. I use more nails on the bigger pans. Place the flower nail upside down (head down) in the middle of the pan, they will act as heat conductors and allow the middle of the cake to bake evenly with the cake sides.

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 9:54am
post #9 of 20

I suppose I am alone then. Doming aside, the edges still cook far more than the middle. I will try lowering the temperature next time.

June

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:56am
post #10 of 20

June, I don't think your alone on this. I am a middle of the road girl on this. I don't use the strips on smaller cakes any more, only the flower nail. I know that when I was first using them I didn't have much luck, then I started soaking them better. On larger cakes I use both. I also use the push down method if any doming occurs, so I guess that when it happens I just don't think much about it, as I don't really use my leveler much any more. I think it's just personal preference, and trial and error.
Jennifer

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 20

yes! You have to make sure they're soaked. I always use them. I've used the flower nail too and find that the strips work better for me. To the point where I don't need to level them whatsoever.

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 20

I'm with most on here too, I won't bake without them. I was very skeptical at first thinking they'd be no help but now instead of cutting off almost an inch of cake, I've only had to trim slivers off a few cakes. Just make sure you completely soak the strips, especially if the cake is large. I wringed out to much water the first time I used them and sure enough, I had a dome.

Good luck and I hope your domes go away
icon_lol.gif

pechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pechee Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 20

I use them no matter how big or small. My teacher is always so excited that I have the tallest cakes in the class!!!!!!! But I use old towels, not the store kind.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 10:06pm
post #14 of 20

what's the push-down method?

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:57am
post #15 of 20

My niece claimed she did not have luck with them either. I asked if she was following the directions and she said yes. I was visiting with her one day when she was making a cake and saw how she was using them incorrectly. Tried to explain to her what she was doing wrong, but she said she was doing it right. Her way was turning on the faucet, quickly running the strip under the faucet and wringing out what little water she soaked into the strip. Then she wrapped the strip very loosley around the pan, without pinning it snuggly on the pan. She placed the pan in the oven and the strip fell away from the pan. Then she complained that the cake overcooked on the edge and buldged in the middle. I told her if she wasn't going to follow any advise as to how to use the strips, then lower her oven temp. First, I only use Magic Line Pans, soak the strips in the sink the entire time I am mixing up the cake batter, take two fingers and lightly squeeze excess water off strip. Wrap around pan tightly and secure with a T-pin, tapp out the air bubbles and place in an oven that is not overheated. Good Luck and try again before giving up.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:10am
post #16 of 20

I use the bake strips and love them my sides bake up higher with them

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:11am
post #17 of 20

I use the strips on all pans bigger than 10", I also bake (almost) everything at 325. icon_smile.gif

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:13pm
post #18 of 20

imagine76 wrote

Quote:
Quote:

What is the push down method

When you first take the cake out of the oven, use a tea towel, cloth napkin (some thing without lint) and gently push down the cake dome and level the cake. No cutting anything off. Makes the cake a little more dense, which I really like when stacking. Be careful when doing this, because the cake will be very hot, and will let out steam when you push down.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 7:52pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

My niece claimed she did not have luck with them either. I asked if she was following the directions and she said yes. .....Her way was turning on the faucet, quickly running the strip under the faucet and wringing out what little water she soaked into the strip. Then she wrapped the strip very loosley around the pan, without pinning it snuggly on the pan. ...

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif This reminds me of the joke of the guy who was given some (enema) suppositories. He remarked to his friend that they weren't working. Friend asked if he was using them every day. Guy said he swallowed one with a glass of water every morning. Friend was horrified! "You mean you're taking them orally?" Guy said, "Well, what do you expect me to do with 'em .... shove 'em up my a$$?"

icon_confused.gif Yeah .... wonder why they're not working? icon_confused.gif

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:30am
post #20 of 20

OMG indy! are you and i related! you'd fit right in around here!

by the way, i soaked my strips and put a plate on top of them and they worked just great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%