My Bc Won't Stick To My Cake...

Decorating By NikiG Updated 10 Jul 2007 , 11:04pm by NikiG

NikiG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikiG Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 19

icon_redface.gif soo I was trying to ice my cake & it wouldn't stick to the sides...it like my spatula more than the cake...& when I tried to put it back on crumbs were on the cake I had to toss out the rebelious icing cuz it was full of crumbs...can anyone help me...has anyone had that same problem...or just me.. icon_surprised.gif) thanks!

18 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 19

sounds like your icing was a little thick. You might try putting on a thin crumb coat first. Let that crust (1/2 hour or so if you have a good crusting BC recipe). Your final coat should go on fine.

tea07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tea07 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 19

I icon_smile.gif too have had this happen I just added a small amount of milk and
mixed it a a few more minutes ,then it was ok.
I have also had it be too cold ,in that instance I let it set for a half hour
at room temperature.hope this helps

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 19

It sounds like the icing is on the thick side so add a little liquid to thin it.

DURINDA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DURINDA Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 19

IF YOU ARE USING THE NEW CRISCO, ZERO TRANS FAT, THE ICING WILL BE SOFTER & THE SIDES WILL FALL.

indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DURINDA

IF YOU ARE USING THE NEW CRISCO, ZERO TRANS FAT, THE ICING WILL BE SOFTER & THE SIDES WILL FALL.

not necessarily.....

DURINDA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DURINDA Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 19

DO YOU HAVE A NEW IMPROVED RECIPE FOR BUTTERCREAM USING CRISCO?

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 19

I have had this happen before as well. The joys of being a newbie. You learn with every cake you do. Sounds like your icing may be too thick. Is your cake on the warm side or is it hot in your house. I had icing that didn't want to stay on the cake and it was just too hot in the house. Good luck!

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 19

Durinda there is a recipe for the new crisco posted on this site. I haven't tried it though so don't know much about it.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 19

You could also use the cake icer tip to ice the cake. I prefer my BC on the stiff side...

Courtney

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 19

I have had this happen when I try to put on the crumb coat and the icing is still a little too cold. Leave it out longer and try again and you should be fine. But, you have to do the crumb coat, like the above said, let it crust, then put the top coat on or you WILL have crumbs. I find my crumb coat serves it's purpose better if I put the cake in the fridge for 10 minutes after I applied the crumb coat!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 11:12pm
post #12 of 19

sometimes i find that if my cake is crumby then the icing tends to fall off. maybe you can try brushing off the crumbs that you can and then do the crumb coat.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 11:27pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DURINDA

Not true. Here's a recipe that works: Link

Please don't type in all capital letters. It's like screaming at us. icon_smile.gif

Thanks
Sherri

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 11:27pm
post #14 of 19

Just lately I've had problems w/my all Crisco BCI. I haven't had trouble before w/it. I think high humidity and heat plays a part of it.
I never could use the 1/2 butter 1/2 Crisco recipe. I'd make sure the icing was room temperature also.
I don't have lots of crumbs on my cakes. I don't like working w/thick icing to ice w/so I don't think either of those are my issues.

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 11:28pm
post #15 of 19

try using a hot spatula (not wet). this helps me sometimes when my icing is just acting weird.

indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 11:30pm
post #16 of 19

Another CC'er posted info that using milk instead of water was the secret to new Crisco. I've always used milk, so I guess that's why I noticed zero difference between the old and the new.

My square basketweave with purple roses that I made this past weekend .... it crusted so well that I picked up the top tier by holding onto the sides of the cake. When the cake was cut, it was still nice and soft inside.

I'm one of those "....until it looks right" cooks, so I'm not hung-up on exact measurements. Looks too thick? Add more milk. Looks too thin? Add more sugar. Until it looks right. The only measuring tool I use is the wooden spoon (2 glops of Crisco per batch). After 25 years of making it, I can eyeball it. (My daughter made me actually measure everything once because she didn't believe I could eyeball it. Everything we measured turned out to be pretty much what the recipe called for. I told her, "See? Mama knows!") icon_lol.gif

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 11:33pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreenag

I have had this happen before as well. The joys of being a newbie. You learn with every cake you do. Sounds like your icing may be too thick. Is your cake on the warm side or is it hot in your house. I had icing that didn't want to stay on the cake and it was just too hot in the house. Good luck!

So, if it is too hot in the house and that is the issue do you chill your cake to deal with the problem? (Sorry if that's a dumb question!) icon_biggrin.gif

NikiG Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 11:03pm
post #18 of 19

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm making a cake sometime this week so I will try a little bit of everything & let u know what works. The cake wasn't hot cuz it was set to cool overnight. Also, I had the A.C. On so it wasn't too hot. I'll try everything though. Thanks again. icon_surprised.gif)

NikiG Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 11:04pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm making a cake sometime this week so I will try a little bit of everything & let u know what works. The cake wasn't hot cuz it was set to cool overnight. Also, I had the A.C. On so it wasn't too hot. I'll try everything though. Thanks again. icon_surprised.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%