18 Inch Cake

Decorating By lou Updated 22 Jun 2005 , 1:03pm by lou

lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lou Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 7

I was just wondering what the opinion was on baking an 18 inch tier base from a solid cake pan or one of those 1/2 moon pans where you match the 2 halves to make a complete 18" cake. I have a wedding cake due in Aug. and I am not sure which I should purchase. Any suggestions?

6 replies
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 7

If it were me...I would probably go with the 1/2 moon. I think they sell a 2" and a 3" deep.
traci icon_razz.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 7

Most ovens will not accomodate an 18" pan... it's just too large for most ovens; therefore, most people, when doing a cake of this size, will use the half moon pans and put them together to make the 18" circle. I don't have this pan as I've never had a cake of that size to make, but I'd like to have the pan icon_biggrin.gif

Taffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taffy Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 3:06am
post #4 of 7

I've made two wedding cakes with the 1/2 moon. It was easy to put together and level it. After the cake was iced, you couldn't tell the difference. I would go with the 1/2 moon.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 3:44am
post #5 of 7

A lot of ovens will not fit even a 16 inch pan, you need to measure the depth of your oven along with the width. Usually it is the depth that is the problem.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 7

I have the 18" pan... it was the bottom cake for my daughter's wedding cake... I have a super capacity sized oven...it fit perfectly with room to spare...I got the pan at a yard sale pretty cheap...and it was in very good condition......"BUT" I think I will purchase the 1/2 moon pan.... the full 18" cake is sooooo heavy...and flipping it over to get it out of the pan took 2 people... and then placing the second layer on top took 2 people too... they are very hard to manuver...
Happy baking,
cakegal

lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lou Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 7

I'm sold - the 1/2 moon it is. Thank you all for taking the time to reply...it is truly appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%