Veggie Tales - Making Larry The Cucumber

Decorating By boonenati Updated 27 Feb 2007 , 11:25am by boonenati

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 13

In the last couple of weeks i've come to love these characters. I love Larry, he's so funny, and his singing in spanish is fantastic. Anyway, i digress, i was asked about how i made the veggie tales cake in my gallery. Bob was baked in the Wilton sports pan, he was made using a white choc coconut mudcake, he had a board in b/n the two parts and straws to support the board. He was then covered in a layer of red fondant, the top of his head was cut , a 1/8 inch slice was cut off the fondant and a bit of cake. This was to give him the flatter surface required for his head. Then he was covered in another thin layer of fondant. His features were added, and he was put on the board. Larry was done first.
Here are the instructions for Larry followed by the pictures that go with the instructions.
1. The board was done by my husband, he put a screw through the bottom, and screwed on a wooden skewer to the board. I covered the board with fondant, marked the tiles and let it dry. (the board is masonite)
2. A day or so before i had made a gumpaste half circle, which i would recommend being done weeks ahead and solid OR using a half styrofoam ball. Put this on the skewer first. (My half circle got flattened as you can see in the picture icon_cry.gif )
3. Skewer your first cake. This cake was baked in a 400gm tomato tin, which is about 5 inches high and 3 inches wide.
4. Skewer second cake, and carve top to make it rounded.
5. Cover whole thing with ganache.
6. Cover with fondant, i cut a rectangle, and joined it at the top and back, i smoothed it well, and most of the seams are invisible.
7. Add features, and BOB and you have the two most popular Veggie tales characters.

Nati

PS: Here they are in the gallery, finished, with Happy Birthday message and all.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=boonenati&cat=0&pos=0
LL
LL

12 replies
bekana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekana Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 13

Hi Boonenati,

My daughter absolutely loves veggie tales!! I don't think many people in Australia have heard of it before. You did such a fantastic piece of work there!! icon_smile.gif You are just so creative! Well done! icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Joan

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 13

THANK YOU for this!
One of my twin sons loves veggie tales! Can't wait to make these!

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 13

My kids love them too.....and with this as a base, you could do all kinds of different scenes! Thank you, thank you for sharing.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 13

oh where is my hairbrush?

of course Bob doesn't need one....

especially when he's lookin soooooo good the way you made him!! thumbs_up.gif

boonenati Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:27am
post #6 of 13

Thanks guys
I just thought i'd add somehting else. After i took the pictures of the assembly, i decided to tort the cake, i cut each cake into 4-5 pieces, not even, when i assembled it back, i got larry to be a little bent to one side. Hope that makes sense.
Nati

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:36am
post #7 of 13

boonenati all your cakes are amazing! Thanks for sharing!

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 13

Nati - thanks so much for the instructions and especially the pictures! Those cakes were amazing and it's so nice of you to share the "how-to"! Sometimes we would love to attempt certain things and just aren't sure where to start and how to make it actually "work". You are so sweet and helpful! Thank you.

Marilyn

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks, Nati for your generosity in sharing the detailed instructions and photos. My grandchildren will love these cakes!

Sams

boonenati Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 10:23pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks Samsgranny katharry & mommymarilyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymarilyn

...it's so nice of you to share the "how-to"! Sometimes we would love to attempt certain things and just aren't sure where to start and how to make it actually "work". .....

I agree Marilyn, seeing how to's really help, these days when i do something different, I take pictures of the steps in case anyone wants to see how it was done. A lot of the time it is the first time i've attempted it and im learning myself, and a lot of techniques i've attempted, i started thinking that i may fail because i'd never tried it before icon_wink.gif
Most of the time it works icon_wink.gif
Nati

CakePhun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePhun Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 5:32am
post #11 of 13

Perfect! Just what I needed... thanks a bunch!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 8:33am
post #12 of 13

We are HUGE Veggie Tales fans in our house! I would absolutely love to try this and they way you explained it, makes it seem possible! Thank you for taking the time to post this, it is very much apprecited! Jen

boonenati Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 11:25am
post #13 of 13

I've actually added these instructions to my how2cakes website.
Please let me see a pic when you try it. I love seeing ppl achieve success with my instructions. Yeh i get a kick out of it icon_smile.gif
Nati

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%