I Don't Know If This Is Forbidden...

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 6 Jul 2007 , 7:01pm by RRGibson

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 15

I am wanting to do the teapot/teacup cake that is featured on the cover of her book Cakes to Dream On - I looked at it online and the other cakes are beautiful and everything but I just don't think that I would ever make them and really hate to spend $40.00 on a book for instruction on just one cake. Is it bad for me to ask if anyone knows the instructions for this cake and could email them to me? More I just need to know how to assemble it and I asked someone who made one like it on here and they just referred me to the book. If it is wrong for me to be asking then just please disregard, I do not want to offend anyone. Thanks in advance

14 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 15

I don't have the instructions, but Amazon.com has the book for $26 plus free shipping... http://www.amazon.com/dp/0471214620/?tag=cakecentral-20

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 15

hmmm..hopefully someone can answer your question. Personally, I wouldn't do a cake exactly like another person's. I would just use it for inspiration then add my own color scheme, special touches, etc. KWIM?

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 15

I think there is a tutorial/article on how to make a tea pot cake on here... do a search under articles if you are just seeing HOW to make the shape.

melissa

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 15

Here are some tutorials I found searching online. I think if it can be found online, then it's fair game (except of course taking credit for it like you did it yourself)

http://www.brightideas.com/birthdays/themes/teaparty/cakestreats/c_1368_1.jsp

http://www.cakeworkscentral.com/scrapbook/teapotcake.htm

http://www.fortunecity.com/millennium/oldemill/337/tpotcake.html

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 15

You might also want to try to find the book at your local library-that way you can see her instructions, but save the money.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 15

krysoco - I am not so much wanting to make it look like her design, just trying to figure out how to assemble it. I want to do pretty similar but completely different colors and a little more elegant then fun. just can't seem to figure out how to put together. thanks for helping everyone

GinaJuarez - thanks for the links but the cake I am trying to do is a 3-tiered cake. thank you though

randipanda Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 15

I wish I knew the actual answer to this question, it is something I wonder about sometimes. Copyright is a sticky issue. It happens with all of the arts and crafts. My mom does the paper rolling thing and belongs to a forum and they have conversations similiar to this all the time. I almost wish I had gone to law school and knew the answers and the lines (nah, I'd rather bake cakes than do paperwork)

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

GinaJuarez - thanks for the links but the cake I am trying to do is a 3-tiered cake. thank you though

Haha, guess it would have helped to look at the cake you were trying to make.

tdybear1978 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 9:21pm
post #11 of 15

no problem, I appreciate you taking the time to find those links. but if there is anyone out there who maybe has this book and would not mind sharing the assembly instructions with me that would be great icon_smile.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 15

PM me with your email address. I'll send it to you when I get home tonight.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by randipanda

You might also want to try to find the book at your local library-that way you can see her instructions, but save the money.

This is actually a great idea. I just borrowed three books from my local library and now I know I'd like to buy The Cake Bible (was on the fence about that one), and I know I don't want to spend the money on Colette's (Peters) Wedding Cakes. Those styles of cake decorating aren't what I'd really like to try.

randipanda Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 10:50pm
post #14 of 15

It is hard to find the books sometimes though, wedding cake decorating books in June seem to be a hot commodity.... icon_smile.gif

I found out that I didn't want Colette's Cakes to Dream On really, that I could check it out from the library and be fine, but that I'd love to have Debbie Brown's books and Colette's Birthday Cakes book. I'll have to check out the Cake Bible next time

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 7:01pm
post #15 of 15

Sugar Plum, have you actually tried many of the recipes from the cake bible? If so, how do you like them? I've had the book for quite sometime and I haven't tried many of them as of yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%