Need Honest Opinion On Idea Of Tattoo Groom Cake

Decorating By birdgirl Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 7:15pm by CakeDiva73

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 40

I am back again with yet another question. I was asked to make wedding cakes for a couple and they are into the Gothic look and are tattooed. They are allowing me to create the cakes--whatever I want. I have ideas for everything but the groom's cake maybe a tattoo. I thought about a couple of hearts intertwined with their names one each with their wedding date on a banner across with their wedding date. Is this tacky? I think that they would love it--have to know them. I would probably use a photo and transfer it. Mayby Frozen buttercream transfer. The reception will be very casual. Thanks for helping again!

39 replies
pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 40

I don't think it's tacky at all, if that is their style and you are going to do it simple as you mentioned, no it's not.

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 40

I think it would be pretty if you could do a cake, either fondant or buttercream, and put a tribal type tattoo around the sides. That would be very cool! icon_cool.gif

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 40

I don't think it's tacky either. It's their style and I'm sure they'll think it's really cool.

Especially as a groom's cake - you have lots of room for creativity.

Be sure to post it!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 40

Unless it is one of their own tattoo I am not sure they would know it was a tattoo rather then just a picture. Unless you made the cake in the shape of an arm or something.

kaylabrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylabrown Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 40

well i dont think it is tacky since its their style but just think about it when they get old and they will be looking at pictures they might think it is tacky later on in life......... that is something to think about..... why dont you do brown buttercream icing and do like chocolate drizzle on the top....i dont know but i dont think you should do tatoos.... just thinking of them in their later life....

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 40

My DH is a tattoo artist and I asked him for ideas. He came up with putting "Man's Ruin" on the cake. I didn't know what it was and did a search on it. It involves pinup girls and such. He also suggested a Nordic star with spiderwebs coming out of the left and right side and birds underneath the star holding a ribbon with the couples' names. I'm not sure what I think of the ideas but HTH!

kaylabrown Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 40

why would you do a "mans ruin" they are getting married im sure MOB would like to see pinup girls on her son-in-laws cake.................

immortalove88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
immortalove88 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 40

I think it is a good idea but it is hard to look goth and not just white trash.so try to do one of his fave tatts

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 40

I love the man's ruin idea. If they're into tattoos they will get a kick out of it. It's not about what the MOB thinks, it's about the bride and groom.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 40

yaknow while I think that tat idea would be cool, something tribal or simple though (like was mentioned something around the border of the cake maybe- nothing too hardcore lol). But I think it could be argued for the other way as well- I mean I can see both sides- not fro ma cake standpoint- but the tat thing- you know people change re tats- i mean the extreme case where someone gets a tat and then years later have to have it removed and outgrow it- like you put posters on yourw all and outgrow those- so maybe something generic would be nicer- so when they look at their wedding album in 50 years they're not going OMG I cant believe we blablabla lol

kaylabrown Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 4:46pm
post #12 of 40

yeah that may be but the MOB sure will care about what her daughters wedding cake looks like.........

kaylabrown Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 5:06pm
post #13 of 40

I dont thinlk you should do the tatoo grooms cake especially not for a wedding cake

atey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atey Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 5:18pm
post #14 of 40

birdgirl,
I like your idea of the hearts intertwined and their wedding date. That could not be tacky in photos at a later date. If they are into tatoos 'go for it' in fact I would like to see a picture when you are done. This would really show off your talent!

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 7:44pm
post #15 of 40

Man's ruin? I wouldn't want to see that at my wedding. Would you want that at yours?

I think a tattoo design (no pinups, no nudity, nothing salacious) in general would be fine.

Ezmerelda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ezmerelda Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 40

Hi, I'm a new girl but I hope that I can give a little advice here icon_smile.gif

I have been what is usually described as a 'Goth' for the last 8 years, and will always be. I think the idea of a tattoo is great, but I would recommend that you ask them about the design first. As for the intertwined hearts, I would personally cringe a little, and the rest of my house this evening (partner and 2 friends) agree that a generic tat (what you are describing) wouldn't be a good idea.

I have to say that I am envious of you, what a great and creative opportunity to decorate a Goth wedding cake icon_biggrin.gif

And hello to all of the lovely people here princess.gif

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 40

About them 50 years down the road.......do you really think they will be looking at their photo album going "I can't believe we had a tattoo cake" when they themselves have tattoos, and some of their tattoos may be showing in the photos as well. (I know some people tattoed from head to toe!) I think if they do a complete change in 50 years they will look at it as a phase in their life.... JMHO!! icon_biggrin.gif

glitterkris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glitterkris Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 8:43pm
post #18 of 40

That is SUCH an awsome idea! Maybe you could do some nautical stars aroud the sides and some sparrows holding the banner. I think that would be cute! Good luck and be sure to post pics when your done icon_smile.gif

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 8:46pm
post #19 of 40

I think the tattoo idea is great. but, I think it should be something personal that the couple agrees on. Perhaps you could mention the idea to them, one of them may have a tattoo that they would love to see immortalized in their wedding pictures.

My brother and his wife got matching tattoos of an infinity symbol when they were married. I think that a tattooed cake would be really interesting. However, you have not mentioned...what colors will you be working with?

For the wedding cake, I think a dark chocolate icing would look amazing in pictures! (I'm thinking fresh flowers...blood red roses!)

llee815 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 9:14pm
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

Man's ruin? I wouldn't want to see that at my wedding. Would you want that at yours?

I think a tattoo design (no pinups, no nudity, nothing salacious) in general would be fine.

It was my DH's idea. I'd be fine with it if that's what he wanted on his groom's cake. I'd probably put a twist on the idea and have it say "(Groom's Name) Ruin" with a pic of the bride.

llee815 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 9:18pm
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezmerelda

Hi, I'm a new girl but I hope that I can give a little advice here icon_smile.gif

I have been what is usually described as a 'Goth' for the last 8 years, and will always be. I think the idea of a tattoo is great, but I would recommend that you ask them about the design first. As for the intertwined hearts, I would personally cringe a little, and the rest of my house this evening (partner and 2 friends) agree that a generic tat (what you are describing) wouldn't be a good idea.

I have to say that I am envious of you, what a great and creative opportunity to decorate a Goth wedding cake icon_biggrin.gif

And hello to all of the lovely people here princess.gif

WELCOME TO CC!!

I have a question, what do you think about tribals? My DH said that "goth" people in general don't go for tribals. I was just wondering that.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 9:20pm
post #22 of 40

Since the brides cake should reflect something about the bride the grooms cake, traditionally, should reflect something of special interest to the groom. I would think a tasteful tattoowould be okay if they approve of it first. Although the bride might want to surprise him with his cake. As far as being concerned what they'll think 50 years down the road that's not your problem. This is them now and that's what you're dealing with doing their cakes. Hopefully the couple will consider others and not select something offensive. I think generally the bride and groom want the wedding to be a joyful occassion for everyone involved. Please be sure and post your cakes. I'll be curious to see what you end up doing. Good luck!

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 9:58pm
post #23 of 40

Thanks for the input. I will be e-mailing them to get ideas. They like different things and I figured the groom's cake is a reflection of him. They are doing fall colors and will have two sheet cakes and a cupcake stand covered in fall leaves, fall colored ribbons and heart shaped cupcakes. I was trying to come up with something "different" for them. His cake will be smaller so it wasn't going to be a huge issue with showing up in to many pictures. I planned to run it by them to make sure I would not offend anyone. The mom of the bride doesn't mind he is covered in tats and piercings.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 12:00am
post #24 of 40

I think it would great.. Here is a tattoo cake I made for father's day.. (LONG STORY) so anyhow.. I made a FBT for the photo and made a tattoo gun out of fondant.. Good Luck!
LL

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 3:06am
post #25 of 40

I looked on the internet and found some interesting images to share. They may spark an idea should you choose not to do the tattoos. These are all goth ideas. The topper could be two crows (they have special meanings in the goth lifestyle - not bad) or the dark flowers.

Hope these help.
LL
LL
LL

Ezmerelda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ezmerelda Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:10pm
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by llee815

WELCOME TO CC!!

I have a question, what do you think about tribals? My DH said that "goth" people in general don't go for tribals. I was just wondering that.

Thank you for the lovely welcome icon_smile.gif

Most people I know don't have 'tribal' tattoos. The majority design their own, taking influence from pagan, norse and celtic history. Hope that enlightens you detective.gif

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:34pm
post #27 of 40

I guess I Was wrong, sorry, it makes more sense to do something personal that reflects them now, who cares what happens in 50 years lol

how about copy a tat he has on his body? make it really personal- but I agree to find out what kind of designs they like. (i would do celtic/norse design but that's for me- cause i love norse/celtic artwork- art is very personal and tattooing is artwork lol

llee815 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 5:26pm
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezmerelda

Quote:
Originally Posted by llee815

WELCOME TO CC!!

Thank you for the lovely welcome icon_smile.gif

Most people I know don't have 'tribal' tattoos. The majority design their own, taking influence from pagan, norse and celtic history. Hope that enlightens you detective.gif

Well, that would go with what my DH said. Thanks for enlightening me! My DH and I love norse and celtic art. We actually have a matching tattoo that's a Viking Rune. Also, our wedding rings are of a celtic design.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 5:50pm
post #29 of 40

I am SO jealous you get to do this cake! It's right up my alley. I am crazy for both cakes AND tattoos (of food art mostly). If I regret them in 50 years, who cares? My wrinkles will probably have mostly folded over them anyway! icon_lol.gif

Go with tattoos for sure, following Ezmerelda's great advice.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 8:16pm
post #30 of 40

I have learned so much from this post!!!!!

[This is why I love CC! There's always someone on here with first hand knowledge for you questions!...welcome to CC Ezmerelda! Glad you're here to share your point of view.]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%