Confused About Servings And Cake Size.

Decorating By domzgirlz Updated 26 Jul 2015 , 7:14pm by Singerssoul

domzgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
domzgirlz Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 12

I have been lurking for a little while now and have gotten such great tips and inspiration from all of you! I have mostly been doing cakes for fun but have been asked to make two sheet cakes for next week. One for a graduation and one for a class reunion.
Each one needs to serve 20 people and I am unsure of what size the cakes need to be. I originally thought 9x13x2 but my husband(An engineer) insists this is too small. Who is right? I also have never made a sheet cake before so any advice you could offer would be helpful.Thanks!

11 replies
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 12

Hi. I would definitely go with the 11x15x2(1/2 sheet). This will give you some extra...but no one will complain. When I do this size I use 3 cake mixes and use the large leveler to even it out. You will have a little extra batter...but you could use it for cupcakes! icon_wink.gif
traci

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 12

9x13 will serve 20-24 2x2 slices
11x15 will serve 35 slices

or
9x13 will serve 28 1x1 1/2 slices
11x15 will serve 40-44 1 x 1 1/2 size slices

both of these are acceptable party size slices to go by

Technically you are right but it all depends on how and who is slicing the cake.

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 12

You could get 20 servings out of a 9X13 sheet cake, but there is next to no room for error and the pieces aren't that big. I would definitely go with the 11x15x2.

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 12

i normally do a 9x13 for 20.. my cakes are a lil higher(they are 3 layers of cake) so everyone gets a bigger piece

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 12

I use 11 x 13 for 20 people. If in doubt use a two mixes and bake two to layer them. I made a two layer filled and decorated with buttercream over the weekend and 1/2 of it filled 20 people. They took the other 1/2 home.

Debbie

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 12

The number of servings depends on how many layers of cake/filling there are. I also ask the customer if they are having food and other desserts at the party. How many children (smaller pieces), how many adult males (they want a hunk) how many women (they just want a sliver), do want to have some leftover-all of these go into the decision of how big a cake is needed. The taller the finished cake, the thinner the slices can be and still be adequate. I mapped out my own serving size chart for a 4 or 5 inch tall cake and 1x2 slices. It seems small but when you actually cut a piece according to my chart and put it on the plate it's a just right serving for an adult. A 2 layer 9x13 should be enough for 20. If it's just one layer, then the 11x13 would suffice.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 12

I agree with cakeconfections, I traced it out on the pan in 2x2" slices. I think that's a generous party size. Sure there are people who slice them bigger, in that case you'd have to make more cake. Keep in mind not everyone likes cake or wants to eat it. For everyone out there who likes a big hunk of cake, there's someone out there who wants a tiny piece.

Sizes of cake range between diffrent people. I use 12x18 for a half sheet and 11x15 is 1/3 sheet.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 12

It's always safe to say "this cake will serve __ 2" x 2" pieces or will serve approximately __ people depending on the size of the serving" or something like that. I found a chart somewhere that listed serving sizes when cutting 3 different sizes on many pan shapes and sizes. I'll try to find it.

Deb

domzgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
domzgirlz Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks everyone! Off to buy a bigger pan! icon_lol.gif

Sandie332002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandie332002 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 6:55pm
post #11 of 12

Do not be cheap!  People are doing you a favor coming to your event. Some really like the cake, some don't. Buy too much and boxed to take with them if they wish. I bought a huge cake and let people take what they wanted. It's fair to cake lovers. Some gets tossed so what. Those who like it were happy you didn't micro manage the cake. It's tacky and everyone remembers it

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 12

Um I wonder why these ancient posts keep getting resurected...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%