Thomas The Train Recall

Lounge By wysmommy Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 6:58pm by wysmommy

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 12:32am
post #1 of 16

I'm steaming mad! My son plays with these all the time. Here is a link to the recall notice:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07212.html

I figured there are a lot of mom's on here who might want to know what's going on.

-Michelle

15 replies
spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 12:37am
post #2 of 16

Thankyou ....my son plays with them everyday!

Thanks twinsy for sending me this link!!

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:27am
post #3 of 16

Thanks! My son has several of the recalled trains which my one year old daughter loves to chew on. We will be sending them back this week.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:45am
post #4 of 16

Oh, thanks for sharing!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 5:42am
post #5 of 16

I saw this, too! So scary. Does anyone know what kind of illness / symptoms may come from ingesting lead paint? I don't even know what to be on the lookout for. My youngest (2 1/2) still puts EVERYTHING in his mouth.

wysmommy Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 11:59am
post #6 of 16

I'm not sure what to look for, but that's a really good question!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm kind of annoyed that these trains are so expensive and this can still happen. Somehow I can rationalize when a toy from a bubblegum machine gets recalled for lead, but a little wooden train that costs $12? I'm curious if I'm supposed to pay shipping on these things to get them sent back too!

Has anyone been able to get on the web site to find out what we are supposed to do with these trains?

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 16

You can call the company directly (RC2 is the company) at (866) 725-4407 or go to their website
http://recalls.rc2.com

Can anyone tell me why they even MAKE lead paint anymore???

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 16

What I can't believe is that the recall goes back to toys made several years ago up to just a couple of months ago. Someone in quality control isn't doing their job. Lead paint warnings have been around for years!!

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 16

I too am a little more than annoyed that these toys cost so much and are being recalled for having lead in their paint! My son is 5 so he doesn't put them in his mouth anymore but he plays with them every waking moment. I am also really concerned about sending these back and getting exact replacements because I am sending back well over $100.00 worth of trains back. Probably more like $200.00. My son has almost everyone of the items listed. Frustrated? OH YEAH!!!!!!

By The Way... Thanks Wysmommy for posting this. I would probably have never know otherwise.

Dordee Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 16

Does anyone else keep getting a busy signal when they call the # listed? I have no idea where to send these toys to.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 16

I actually have worked in toy retail for ten years or so. There is always a certain amount of lead in all children. I have had my daughter tested during her yearly. The great thing about Thomas and Brio is the great guarantee they have. Brio was sold and last I heard was a mess, but they have a lifetime guarantee. Same with Thomas....they are willing to help if pieces break and such. Things are recalled everyday. I have to say the Thomas wood trains is hierloom quality toys that pass on and on. I know I sound like a commercial but just had to chime in. I have the giant $500 sit on Train set. I will call the staore to see what they say??

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 16

I spoke with the store I wokked at. The company will replace all the pieces you return and are offering free gift for the troubles. It sounds like it is a lot of red pieces.

JoMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoMarie Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you so much for letting us know.

Dordee Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 5:37pm
post #14 of 16

I called the store that I usually purchase my son's Thomas toys from and the lady who owns the store told me she spoke with someone from the company and he told her that there had been no incidents with the toys and that they were just doing it as a precaution. My son is too old to put them into his mouth and ingest any paint so i'm not sending them back. Don't get me wrong, if there was the slightest chance of him getting sick from handling them then I would send them back asap, but being as it is I will just keep what he has. My son has well over $1000.00 worth of these toys so I hope there are no more recalls because the shipping would absolutely eat me alive if were to have to send them all back icon_surprised.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:16pm
post #15 of 16

wow, thanks for posting this. We mostly have the metal trains. I don't think we have any of the ones listed but will have to double check. What is going on in our country lately? Sure, there are always recalls but lately, there have been some scary recalls...spinach with e.coli, peanutbutter with salmonella, pet food with rat poison that's banned in our country...now Thomas trains with lead paint??

The fact that these things are being shipped in from China without having to follow our laws in manufacturing is maddening. If we're going to be buying products manufactured in other countries, those companies should still be following our laws in manufacturing them. This is asinine.

and like others have said, those trains are NOT cheap...at least, not for the consumer. Some CEO is probably pocketing a huge (as in billions) paycheck for using cheap, cheap labor and then turning around and charging a LOT for the trains, as if they were hand-made. It's rather sick.

wysmommy Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 6:58pm
post #16 of 16

Dordee,

My son doesn't put them in his mouth either, but just a heads up, some of the paint has actually chipped off a couple of the recalled trains and signs that we have. If you do keep them, just something to be on the lookout for. I know I'm not too thrilled with the prospect of lead paint chips floating around my house somewhere.

I totally agree that if they expand this recall we are in for ridiculous shipping too. We seriously have every train, station and track they make. (I know...I know...he's spoiled rotten, but it's his favorite thing on earth). icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%