New Food Network Challenge - Villian Cakes 6/10

Decorating By butters7 Updated 18 Jun 2007 , 12:47am by weirkd

butters7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butters7 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 32

Sunday 6/10 at 8pm the Food Network Challenge is going to be at Disneyland doing Villan cakes. On the commerical it shows someone made a "Scar" lion cake and his head falls off during the judging.

Just thought I would give a heads up to everyone!

31 replies
Sonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonya Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 32

Thanks for the reminder. I seen it advertise and I cant wait to watch it.

~Sonya

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 32

cant wait to watch it !!!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 32

Oh Good! Thanks for telling me! I will have to tape it. I dont get to watch FN that much. Its usually reruns of Scooby Doo!

Tina_Mace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina_Mace Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 32

Already have my DVR set up in case I forget!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 32

Just set my dvr to record it! Thanks!

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:07am
post #7 of 32

I just finished watching it. It was so much fun to watch it! Each one of them did an amazing job and I learned some of their skills already by watching it over and over again (I have TIVO).

I'm afraid to tell you who won because I figured, by looking at this post, that no one hasn't seen it yet. I know for sure you won't be surprised who won the challenge. Just didn't want to spoil your surprise. icon_smile.gif

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:18am
post #8 of 32

oh man, i missed it. i will have to see if they will replay it. GREAT IDEA icon_smile.gif

tigerlilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerlilly Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:27am
post #9 of 32

it doesn't air in ca until 10pm so you still have time. i know im counting down

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:30am
post #10 of 32

It was cool!

SPOILER@@@@@@@@

I was scared that Mike wouldn't win due to his "poor" sportsmanship (which I didn't think was bad at ALL).. but I am glad he won. I love his work.. and his Captain Hook was impecable. I was dissapointed with Bronwen Weber's Ursula cake.. it looked a bit like Jabba the Hut. The 101 Dalmations cake wads cool too.. but I am in total agreement that Mike took the cake with his creation.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:36am
post #11 of 32

Well, now that I know who won!!!

I'm going to watch it anyway. I can't wait to see the creations. I like to watch the "in the process" anyway!!!!!!

I already have it set on my DVR.

Amy

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:40am
post #12 of 32

oh I missed it ,but well its going to air again around 12 am . Iam awake so I'll catch it then or set my DVR.Thanks

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:42am
post #13 of 32

just got back from vaca, DVR'd all of the Ace of Cakes; Im going to have to go see if I can catch this one or if Im too late icon_sad.gif hopefully not!!!! Thanks for the heads up! I love these shows!!!!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 6:20am
post #14 of 32

Yeah, Mike's was the best...but geez, he was just having a little fun with the crowd! I think them saying anything about his jokin' around was dumb....
It ended exactly how I thought it would...a great show for sure!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 11:32am
post #15 of 32

Mike is in a class all by himself. He is consistant and impeccable. I am convinced he was "scolded" just to throw us off a bit becasue there really was no competition. If the other contestants were distracted by his jokes, don't you think they would have said something RIGHT THEN AND THERE? Give me a break!
The Cruella cake was very nice, but IMO, Bronwen's cake was the best of the worst.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 12:26pm
post #16 of 32

I missed just the very beginning of Mike putting his cake together. What was actually cake? I know the captain and croc were modeling choc. Were snee and the treasure chest the cake?

I had a really hard time deciding what I like best because the top 3 were all very different. Mike captured the whole scene with amazing detail but I loved the homage to the 2-d effect of Dalmations and that guy's puppies were way cute and I thought it was amazing the way Bronwen carved and sculpted Ursela. And like she said she could have done more and bigger if they didn't have to move the cakes!

I felt really bad for the lady making Jafar. But now that she's done it, her next competition will be much better for her, I'm sure.

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 12:45pm
post #17 of 32

The bottom of the croc was cake, and though they didn't really show it, I'm assuming that the treasure was cake, too. It really really was so awesome!

I felt bad for the guy who's head fell off. I never really like him, but like they said on another thread, it could just be food net. spin on him, and he might actually be nice. I thought it was kinda wrong about the licorice, though.

I felt bad about the Jafarr lady, too, but you got jump in somewhere! And it is hard going up against the best of the best!

Wendoger Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 2:55pm
post #18 of 32

yeah, I totally agree with you....it is 'tv' of course....we all knew Mike was gonna win....hands down. thumbs_up.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 9:06pm
post #19 of 32

Loved the show and of course thought Mike's cake was the best, but Richard's was really a close second. I really didn't think his Cruella looked quite like the cartoon character but over all the cake was great. I don't care for the guy from Carlo's bakery, but I felt so bad for him when the head fell off his lion. Probably a good thing he wasn't there to see it happen. Bronwen's work was a little different this time and not as good as others I've seen her do. But her ability to sculpt features in fondant is always amazing to me. I did feel badly for Mike when he was scolded for performing after his cake was finished. I didn't think it was that bad a thing until they pointed out that it was distracting to the other chefs who were working under the clock to finish their pieces. And can you imagine having to leave your partner in the middle of a challenge because of a nose bleed. She must have been so embarrassed.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:11am
post #20 of 32

Mike's work is darn near perfect! I've got to watch it again so I can pause it and see how they did some of that stuff. Did Mike shape the jaws free hand, or did he use some type of mold?

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:14pm
post #21 of 32

I agree! Mike's work is just amazing!!! So perfectly executed and you can just see movement and life in his work.

I thought the lion cake was not the greatest. His stand was cool but the work wasn't that "clean", and the expression on the lion's face was pretty basic. I didn't get the licorice either...it didn't even look like mane.

So, was Bronwen's cake 16 layers without any boards in between?? Her sculpting abilities are amazing! I want to try fondant sculpting like she does. Does anyone know the best way to do it?

Courtney

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:26pm
post #22 of 32

I loved Mike's cake!!! I would have liked Bronwen's better if her color would have been lighter. Her sculpting is unbelievable!!!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:41pm
post #23 of 32

Wonderful!!! I ditto everything said.

Mike's cakes are ALWAYS clean, impecable, amazing and perfect. He works so fast and so well.

Cruella's cake I liked it a lot, but in comparison o Mike's, I knew that it wasn't going to win because Mike's cakes was more complicated and much bigger.

I didn't like Ursulla's cake... but was tremendously impressed with the carving to do her.

I also felt bad for the lady that did Jafar.

And, doesn't that guy that did Scar the Lion seems to be always a bit too overconfident on his techniques and that his cake is the best? I don't know, but I get a annoyed with him most of the time. icon_surprised.gif

Wendoger Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:46pm
post #24 of 32

The guy that did Scar seemed to be more into the mechanics of the front leg working than he did the detail of his piece. It was cool, but not that cool...definately not as cool as Mike's. icon_biggrin.gif

carterl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carterl Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:47pm
post #25 of 32

I think Mike's cakes truly are amazing, but I think he has a huge advantage over the other competitors. His assistant is incredibly gifted and pretty much does one creation all by herself, allowing him the luxury of focusing on half of the overall creation. I'd love to see how he constructs some of his supports. He is such a gifted artist. Although, he probably shouldn't compete in any more challenges so that other decorators would stand a chance.

Bronwen is in a league by herself with her sculpting. I wish they would've shown how she did her sugar work on the Ariel ball and eel's eyes. Just awesome the way they glowed! And did she use a light at the bottom of the cake?

Richard's piece was wonderful the way he captured the 2 dimensional aspect of the movie. And I loved that he used different techniques in his work.

Buddy had really good intentions with his cake and it was impressive when he had the sparklers going and the lion arm moving. But again, it is a cake decorating challenge and I think he just lost sight of that in his quest to entertain us with his cake. But just imagine how cool that cake would be at a child's party??

Hannah's cake would've been just beautiful if she could've finished it. It is always great to see new decorators on their way. Remember Marina Sousa's first challenge? Just awesome.

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 4:37pm
post #26 of 32

I taped it [no DVR....] but discovered today that I had it at the end of the tape so I missed it. But for anyone else that missed it, it will be on Wednesday night @ 9pm and repeating again at midnight. I'll be taping [and checking my tape better] because my kids will want to see it--this way we can fast fwd through the commercials...

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 11:22am
post #27 of 32

But for anyone else that missed it, it will be on Wednesday night @ 9pm and repeating again at midnight.

Thanks! My DH missed it because he was at work and I forgot to record it for him. icon_redface.gif He was ummm not happy.

I think Richard's cake was just unreal, it brought back memories of my favorite childhood movie. Mike is well, just amazing.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 11:26am
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters7

"Scar" lion cake and his head falls off during the judging.

Just thought I would give a heads up to everyone!

No pun intended, right?? LOL

Any way, I liked the show and I'm glad that Mike won. I liked his cake the best.

Lazy_Susan

smolie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smolie6 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:24am
post #29 of 32

HEY! I was on the mikes amazing cakes NEW web site and they have a page called "whats new". On it are some great photos of what they did at Disney.CHECK IT OUT!

brwntab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brwntab Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:05am
post #30 of 32

I finally saw it today and it was so exciting and a learning experience as always.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%