Your Advice Sought

Decorating By Doug Updated 1 Jun 2007 , 2:12am by Doug

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:21am
post #1 of 20

Ok...

2 cakes for this weekend.

the Confirmands cake is full size sheet for the after church celebration -- and YES it has to have RED, red and more red! (ggrrrr --- the lady in charge even reminded everyone that we HAVE to wear red as well!!! -- it's Pentecost Sunday as well! as if I have red in my wardrobe) crosses at this point will be gold (lustered). will be half choco and half white.

and then the have to do one or the other cross cake for pastor's daughter's party later that afternoon. it's a funfetti cake (ICK --but that's what she wants with just plain BC filling!! icon_cry.gif boring!)

so....
on sheet cake: sotas or cornelia lace between borders??? and any other suggestions??

on cross cake: which one (leaning toward the 2x2 serving size as it gives more room for the confirmation verse)? and any other suggestions?
(thinking of doing chalice as 3-D gumpaste gold lustered (should I start w/ yellow or golden gumpaste?)

you have until mid-Saturday to suggest -- after that it's cake time.

and just so you know -- doing both at cost as in gift to church and pastor's daughter (not to mention advertising for me!)
LL
LL
LL

19 replies
jendalain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jendalain Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:13am
post #2 of 20

Well I like the idea of cornelia lace between the layers. I agree, I think 2x2 would give you enough room. And...the luster dust would look great!

Keep it as simple as possible, like you said, you are doing these at cost. I'm sure you'll have plenty of bookings following these cakes!

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:23am
post #3 of 20

ditto what howelljennifer said- love the idea of the cornelli lace that would be a nice touch and i agree the 2x2 is more balanced and leaves room for the verse without it being to cluttered.
as to thr chalice I would try to do a similar color of gold at least i have found what works for me- sound beautiful!!

how the heck do you do the drawings??

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:28am
post #4 of 20

These look great! Good luck with the red!! Also be careful with the funfetti cake!! The present cake in my photos is funfetti and fell apart! I HATE to make any funfetti cake now... In fact I wont unless its cupcakes. Can't wait to see photos.

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:31am
post #5 of 20

Wow Doug,
You're my "go-to" guy not to mention so many others.

I guess I didn't realize the "go-to" guy might need a "go-to" aid as well.

Cornelli lace sounds awesome.

Go get'em tiger!!!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:32am
post #6 of 20

Doug,
For once, we can try and help you out, I am honored.
I think the ideas for both cakes are great. I agree the 6 inch wide arms for the 2X2 is a good size too. Unless there will be less people for that celebration.

Have you thought of making the crosses out of chocolate and covering with Gold Luster Dust? If you have chocolate molds of course. They look really cool too.

Good Luck with the cakes, cant wait to see the pictures.

CONFECTIONCONNECTION Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONCONNECTION Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:43am
post #7 of 20

cornelli lace is my favorite but since we all know red has a less desirable taste.....could you do a stained glass window border? Using red, blue, green & yellow? This would still give the RED but less of it? Either way both of your designs look great. Happy decorating.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:28am
post #8 of 20

OMG, both cake designs look great! icon_eek.gif

Casting my votes for cornelli, and 2x2" size. thumbs_up.gif

(Whoo Hoo, I also feel honored; I helped Doug.) icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 20

I'm just thinking---If you're concerned about the taste of red icing, could you use a spraygun for red and use white corneli lace on top??

Doug Posted 28 May 2007 , 12:23am
post #10 of 20

and here they are:

sheet: 1/2 chocolate (butter recipe + dark fudge as extender + choco pudding + choco syrup + mini choco chips) and 1/2 yellow (butter recipe + french vanilla w/ extender and added sour cream) gumpaste crosses w/ gold luster.

cross: fun-fetti (pudding/sc added). (which BTW was assembled and decorated at church AFTER church and before the party!!! -- my car can't hold two full sheet cakes at one time!)

(ps and we can now all see why my 8th grade teacher told my parents to buy me a typewriter! icon_rolleyes.gif)
LL
LL
LL

jendalain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jendalain Posted 28 May 2007 , 12:51am
post #11 of 20

Doug - these cakes came out great! They turned out perfect!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 May 2007 , 12:53am
post #12 of 20

Holy Moly, Doug, you outdid yourself. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Not only are both cakes gorgeous, but they sound so yummy. For sure, everyone had a good time. party.gifbirthday.gifparty.gif

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 28 May 2007 , 1:09am
post #13 of 20

I just spotted this thread and just wanted to say that you kicked some butt on these cakes, Doug!

BTW- did you have any luck finding anything RED to wear this time of year?

-Michelle

Doug Posted 28 May 2007 , 1:11am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by msauer

BTW- did you have any luck finding anything RED to wear this time of year?

-Michelle

yes -- icing!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 May 2007 , 1:19am
post #15 of 20

Great job!

BTW for funfetti cake, couldn't you use a reliable mix (like regular DH white, and I like to use vanilla pudding and whole eggs) and then just add colored sprinkles into the mix?

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 28 May 2007 , 1:20am
post #16 of 20

LOL haha
looks great Doug !!!!!!!! kudos !

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 28 May 2007 , 1:21am
post #17 of 20

Doug I love you and your cakes are beautiful, but I hate to point out it looks like you spelt congratulations incorrectly. I had to look like 3 times to notice it though

I'm sorry to be the bearer of this news

But they are beautiful

Doug Posted 28 May 2007 , 1:25am
post #18 of 20

guess that F i got in spelling is still following me.

tho' --- it must be following every one at church too, as no one mentioned it!

obviously NOT hooked on phonics

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 28 May 2007 , 1:35am
post #19 of 20

I always say if the people it was made for didn't notice then I just pretend it didnt happen icon_smile.gif

Doug Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:12am
post #20 of 20

nrctermite asked how I made the cross.

so...here's the sketch (which will be posted in templates gallery too)
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%