Charging For Different Flavor/layer Or Not

Business By awall96 Updated 19 May 2007 , 12:51am by Lenette

awall96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awall96 Posted 18 May 2007 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 7

I am meeting with a bride tomorrow and she is thinking of a different flavor for each layer. How many of you charge for this and how many of you don't? I currently don't (the local economy is bad) my husband says I should (more work mixing different flavors). Need opininons, ideas, procedures, etc. Thanks

6 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 18 May 2007 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 7

I do not, but most people do...I just do it out of my home, so...

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 May 2007 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 7

I don't. But, remind the bride you may need more cake. Many guests will want to try more than one flavor, especially if the cake is good.

midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 18 May 2007 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 7

I don't if I need to make more than one cake anyway (i.e., one tier one flavor, another tier another flavor, etc.) If it's a small cake and they want more than one flavor, I charge more. Hope that makes sense.

I am always rethinking this, and would not doubt that at sometime I may go ahead and charge for more than one flavor.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 18 May 2007 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 7

Yes and No. My prices say that " specialty flavors are extra". I always quote with an upcharge for multiple flavors, but, if the customers does as I recommend, and order 20% more cake because invariably one flavor is more popular than another etc., then I waive the two flavor charge. If not I charge $.50 more for the extra dished I have to do. I hate dishes icon_mad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2007 , 12:42am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by midialjoje

I don't if I need to make more than one cake anyway (i.e., one tier one flavor, another tier another flavor, etc.) ....

Agree. I don't charge extra for different flavors. If I'm making a 5-tier cake and they want 5 flavors, I try to talk them out of it simply because you are then REQUIRED to cut all 5 tiers and if you have cake left over (which they always do!) then you have 5 partially cut cake.

I also don't worry about it if they run out of one flavor. If the 14" is white and the 10" is chocolate, then they are going to run out of chocolate first. It happens. It is nuts for a bride to try to provide ALL flavors for ALL guests.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 19 May 2007 , 12:51am
post #7 of 7

I don't charge extra for that. My mixer is only so big so I have to mix more batter anyway. It's no big deal for me. It's an easy thing to say "I don't charge extra for that" when they are comparison shopping too.

I think many folks want a choice brides and guests. Like I said it's no big to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%