Wow Look At This Cake!

Decorating By maryjsgirl Updated 21 May 2007 , 4:48pm by marthajo1

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:33am
post #1 of 38

It's called an Ube-Macapuno cake. I thought my fellow cake people would appreciate it.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ube-Macapuno-Cake/Detail.aspx?rss=1

37 replies
fairytale_parties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairytale_parties Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:56am
post #2 of 38

very purple....that would be a shocker to cut into. icon_biggrin.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:12am
post #3 of 38

That's enough to make a Red Velvet cake blush! icon_biggrin.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:13am
post #4 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

That's enough to make a Red Velvet cake blush! icon_biggrin.gif

Lol!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:17am
post #5 of 38

What a fun cake! I would love to try it but have no idea where to get that.

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:20am
post #6 of 38

Very popular in Hawaii.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:22am
post #7 of 38

It looks very striking. I wouldn't personally want to eat all those food colourings. I know you can get a very red cake from making it with fresh beetroot.

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:28am
post #8 of 38

I wouldn't personally want to eat all those food colourings. I know you can get a very red cake from making it with fresh beetroot.

its a purple cake ...am i seeing it right?
and its only got a total of 12 drops of color for the entire layer cake....so no biggee there, i think it looks cool, id definatley try it....where the heck can i get a purple 'ube' in south alabama?? lol

Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:30am
post #9 of 38

oh my goodness...do you know how hard it is to find an ube or mango cake where im at????? its almost 2 hrs away from where i live! thank you sooo much for sharing im so glad you found this reciepe i cant wait to try it!!!

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:33am
post #10 of 38

"It looks very striking. I wouldn't personally want to eat all those food colourings. I know you can get a very red cake from making it with fresh beetroot."

The fruit/vegetable (not sure exactly) is that purple. You should see the mash potatoes it makes. My aunt (in law) uses it in a lot of things & the color is amazing.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:43am
post #11 of 38

I'd love to try this but I have no idea how to get my hands on a purple yam or coconut preserves. I've never heard of either of those. The food colorings I wouldn't be that concerned about, doesn't seem like so much.

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:01am
post #12 of 38

i think that if you would leave out the colouring it would still be amazingly purple. look at this purple yam.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chockylit/165388265/

i guess it is like a potatoe?

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:06am
post #13 of 38

Freakish looking. Except I guess if you are a purple freak, sounds pretty good though. I wouldn't mind trying it. And it is a sweet potato. I had them in Hawaii. Never seen them before, but they are really popular there. I remember the first time they served them I had to ask what was on my plate. And they were tasty just different colored.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:08am
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

I'd love to try this but I have no idea how to get my hands on a purple yam or coconut preserves. I've never heard of either of those. The food colorings I wouldn't be that concerned about, doesn't seem like so much.

Honestly. I think you could do it with regular yams. They taste pretty much the same. As for the coconut. You may have to google that one. I know after we went to Hawaii. I had to do that to order a couple of things you could only get there that were yummy. icon_wink.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:22pm
post #15 of 38

Liis, Thank you!! Chockylit has a great web site for cupcakes!! I just spent 30 min there. Good stuff!!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:45pm
post #16 of 38

do you think you can order those purple ubes online anywhere and have them shipped? Wouldn't that be funny - yams in the mail!

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:09pm
post #17 of 38

I can get those at a local farmers market.

When I saw the cake I instantly thought.......topsy turvey...teenage girl...animal patterns....sparkeles....boas...anything over the top!

I love the color and would definately give this a try. Definately not for everyone. I don't think it has too much food coloring in it and you might be able to cut them down depending on the final color of the yam!

Fun, fun, fun thumbs_up.gif

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:51pm
post #18 of 38

Neat!! It says you can get those yams canned, maybe in the asian section. Maybe Wegman's has them..they have unusual stuff. Anyway, I may try my first cupcake bouquet with this if I can find the yams..and coconut preserves.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 15 May 2007 , 7:16pm
post #19 of 38

I would so love to make that for my niece. Her birthday is in July and she's a purple-loving freak! icon_lol.gif

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:36pm
post #20 of 38

you can get ube at asian stores that carry filipino/vietnamese/thai groceries. they have the ube thats frozen and grated. the macapuno is a filipino product- its young coconut that has been shredded and sweetened. it comes in a jar.

although the ube is naturally a pretty purple, the food coloring is still needed because somehow the baking process turns the cake a green color without the food color. dunno how that happens icon_confused.gif but trust me, its not as appetizing icon_smile.gif

you can also get ube-macapuno icecream in some asian stores. its pretty good.

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:36am
post #21 of 38

Oh I have to try this!! I wonder if those peruvian purple potatos are similar. I can get thoe at a gourmet grocery store. How cut it would be with pink frosting!!

ladybug03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug03 Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:58pm
post #22 of 38

This would be a fun cake for anyone who's graduating from a HS/College with purple as their school color...I'm sending it to my friend from Kansas State...while I go work on the Jayhawk cake I have to make.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 17 May 2007 , 9:14pm
post #23 of 38

ladybug03, Good luck on your KU cake! You're right..It would make a good K-State cake though!!My son is a senior there this year. I'll have to keep this cake in mind!

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 17 May 2007 , 9:24pm
post #24 of 38

I grew up in the Philippines and Ube ice cream and macapuno ice cream were my favorites.

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 17 May 2007 , 9:31pm
post #25 of 38

Does anyone know if you could get the ingredients at Trader Joe's? Seems like items they may carry.

Stina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stina Posted 18 May 2007 , 11:25pm
post #26 of 38

I am from TX and when I saw that cake I immediately thought TCU. OMgoodness - have to make this for my TCU friends maybe in the shape of a football jersey. Won't tell them what is on the inside - just let it be a huge suprise.

Thanks for sharing

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 18 May 2007 , 11:39pm
post #27 of 38

How about a Barney cake!! HEE, HEE!

Thanks for all the links!

Sigyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sigyn Posted 19 May 2007 , 1:05pm
post #28 of 38

lol! icon_eek.gif thats my kind of cake!! I LOVE purple...

well until I noticed it was a yam cake tapedshut.gif I would prefer a plain purple cake icon_wink.gif

Thanks for showing that was great

aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:34am
post #29 of 38

I can see it as a Halloween cake. Love that color.

Amaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amaya Posted 21 May 2007 , 2:45am
post #30 of 38

If you can't find fresh ube you can substitute powdered ube which you can find at oriental stores. Here is another ube cake recipe where you can use either fresh or powdered ube.

Ube Chiffon Cake

8 eggyolks
2 1/2 c. sifted cake flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. oil
1 c. boiled and mashed fresh ube or 1/2 c. ube powder
1/2 to 1 tsp. violet food color

8 eggwhites
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cream of tartar

1 c. ube jam for filling (optional)

Procedure:

1. Sift flour, baking powder, and sugar.
2. Place in a large mixing bowl: eggyolks, sifted dry ingredients, milk, oil, and fresh or powdered ube.
3. Beat until smooth. If necessary, adjust color of mixture by adding violet food color. Set aside.
4. Beat eggwhites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
5. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.
6. Fold ube batter into beaten whites.
7. Pour into ungreased, lined 9x4 tube pan or four 9 inch round pans.
8. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 40 minutes or until done. Invert pan and let hang until cool.
9. Fill with ube jam and frost with buttercream icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%