Trans Fat Free Crisco

Decorating By dcohee Updated 14 May 2007 , 6:55pm by mcalhoun

dcohee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcohee Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:26am
post #1 of 21

Has anyone used this new Crisco in their buttercream frosting?
I read on another website that cake decorators are experiencing problems with it.
This was the only kind of Crisco the store had...and I don't want any problems with a wedding cake I have to make next weekend.

Thanks for anyone's input!

20 replies
beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:33am
post #2 of 21

Hello and welcome! Here is a link I found for you. I don't know the answer myself, but this has been discussed pretty extensively here on CC. I am sure you can find more....
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-250011-0-days0-orderasc-.html

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:41am
post #3 of 21

You got me started on reading more on this topic. If you do a "search" type in "new crisco" and you will see several posts that should be helpful to you. I hope it works out for you!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:50am
post #4 of 21

OMgosh - don't get me STARTED! I made a cake for this last Tuesday in BC - I usually use fondant so I was especially nervous about smoothing perfectly, but I've done it before with BC. WELL - I used the new crisco and my BC DID NOT CRUST!!! I used the same recipe I have used for years and it has always crusted for me!! I had a heck of a time getting that thing smooth(which is not exactly what I'd call it)!!! There are a couple of people that haven't had a problem with it crusting - I talked to one of them and got her recipe (don't have it in front of me) and it used more liquid and less crisco, so maybe that's why - the crisco didn't affect it as much because the BC wasn't as dependent on it? Not sure.

sweetooth2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth2 Posted 12 May 2007 , 4:08am
post #5 of 21

Girls you have got me NERVOUS!!!
I have to ice a sweet 16 cake in the morning and I used the "NEW" no trans fat Crisco. I have been using Crisco for my buttercream frosting for years and I didnt know there was going to be a differnce. Does it taste the same even if it doesn't act the same when icing a cake???????

man if I had known I would have used Butter
This might be me in the morning icon_cry.gif

( I did buy some fondant and gumpaste maybe I can use these some way..)

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 May 2007 , 4:14am
post #6 of 21

It tasted good to me, but it just wouldn't crust - I'd just be prepared if it doesn't. Maybe have some other ways lined up to smooth your cake, and be extra careful when icing it! Maybe the hot spatula method? I know there are several people who use a non-crusting BC and get smooth cakes, so it CAN be done!! Depending on the cake you are doing, you can always roll some fondant or gumpaste and make flowers, decos, etc to cover "bad" spots!!

dcohee Posted 12 May 2007 , 4:15am
post #7 of 21

Thank you for the "search" info. I tried a search...just didn't scroll down far enough to see any results! duh!!!

Looks like cutting back on the Crisco and watching the consistency might work. I guess I will try to make my frosting a couple days earlier than planned....and if it doesn't turn out right.....it'll be a mad dash to Sams Club for a bucket !!!!

Thanks for your help! This site is great!!!!

sweetooth2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth2 Posted 12 May 2007 , 4:22am
post #8 of 21

Renaejrk.... Thanks for the Wonderful tips hun.
So GLAD to hear it taste allright icon_smile.gif
The cake is a basic three tiered cake (my first actualy icon_surprised.gif ) just green icing with ribbon around each tier and a gunpaste 16 at the top. I hope it works out.

THANKS thumbs_up.gif

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 12 May 2007 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 21

My buttercream with crisco will crust (I use the Wilton recipe) but my problem is that it is just too soft and doesn't want to smooth well. I think that could be a disaster in hot and humid weather like we have here in the south.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 12 May 2007 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 21

It changed my frosting dramatically. I have been on a search in all grocery stores for trans fat shortening. I found RichTex at Walmart. So far, I have bought 28 cans! But that won't last forever! Helen

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 May 2007 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 21

This is the third thread I've found on this subject -- great advice! Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2007 , 2:37pm
post #12 of 21

I'm one who has had zero problems with the new crisco. I make roses and drop flowers and they air dry within 2-3 hours to the point that I can pick them up with my fingers. My icing crusts and smooths great, especially since I started using the Melvira method to smooth the icing. I've had cakes sit outdoors for over 5 hours in 90+ degree heat with no melting.

In the big crisco thread, I've seen recipes in there that called for a LOT more fat than I use. I only use (and have ALWAYS only used ... this is not just since the new stuff came out) 1-1/3 cups to 2 lbs of sugar. I swear, I looked at some of these recipes, with all the crisco AND butter in it and thought, "Geesh! No wonder the icing is sliding off the cake!" icon_lol.gif

I'm also a "throw it in until it looks right" cook, so I was never locked in to a specific amount of milk. Looks dry? add more milk. Looks too wet? add more sugar. Heck, when people on here started asking me for my recipe, I had to stop and actually measure the stuff (ewww! shudder!!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Play with it .... you may get it to work for you.

dcohee Posted 12 May 2007 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 21

Indy...thanks!!
I believe yours is the suggestion was going to follow from another thread. Do you use butter also in your ratio? I need to go for the "wedding" white...so was going "Crisco only". Also...do you use merangue (sp?) powder as well?

Thanks for your help.
Deb

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2007 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 21

No butter. Believe it or not, I hate the taste of butter especially in icing. No MP. I never knew that stuff existed until I got on CC a year ago. also no salt. i don't put salt in anything either .... not in icings, not in cookies, not in brownies, nothing. No one ever misses it. (My logic is the amount is so small, why bother? I had a 1st husband who had very high blood pressure so I learned to cook low salt everything).

2 lb p.sugar
1-1/3 cups crisco (give or take)
3 tsp clear vanilla ( or more.... I LUV vanilla!)
1/3 cup milk - give or take for consistency

(My 1-1/3 cups of crisco are actually measured as "two big glops off of the end of a wooden spoon") icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Nickii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickii Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:14pm
post #15 of 21

I have tried the new Crisco with no problem( keeping my fingers crossed). I like indy add until it looks and taste right. I do however use MP. That is the only way I have known to do it. My mom suggest using dream whip...but have not given that a whirl just yet. BTW...i did purchase this from SAMS which did surprise me since they tend to get the newer items a little later. GOOD LUCK!

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:29pm
post #16 of 21

Okay - I have had ALL of these problems with the new Crisco. My buttercream has turned out soft and not crusted, but then the next batch (MADE EXACTLY THE SAME WAY!!) will crust and be fine! I am soooooooo frustrated! My icing has always been so consistent and I am finding myself very tired after having to spend extra time on this!

Oh well - I guess there will just be lots of icing to make cupcakes for the people at work!!!

icon_cry.gificon_biggrin.gificon_mad.gifthumbs_up.gificon_razz.gif

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:30pm
post #17 of 21

I used Sweetex hi-ratio shortening for the first time this past week and it worked wonderfully. I'll never go back to Crisco - the old or the new. It can be found at cake supply stores.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:39pm
post #18 of 21

I am just scared to even try it. I went to Walmart and dug and found all of their old Crisco (6 cans) and bought them. After they are gone I will either try the new stuff or buy high ratio. Maybe by then all of the experts here will have it down paticon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:05pm
post #19 of 21

Stop buying all the trans-fatty shortenings! LOL

Here's a recipe that works beautifully with the trans-fat-free Crisco:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3783-0-Cakepros-Buttercream-with-Trans-Fat-Free-Crisco.html

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 May 2007 , 12:50am
post #20 of 21

I have not had any issues with the new crisco either. (I use 1 - 1/4 cups to 12 cups of powdered sugar though) It crusts just like the old, smooths out just fine. NO problems here! (and I use MP in mine too - 4 Tablespoons)

2/3 c. water
4 Tablespoons meringue powder
3 teaspoons flavoring (usually a combo of vanilla and almond)
1 teaspoon salt
12 cups powdered sugar
1-1/4 cups crisco

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 14 May 2007 , 6:55pm
post #21 of 21

Oh Man! None of mine have trans fat - I bought 6 cans for nothing! I will give cakepro and quadcrew's recipe's a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%