Americolor Vs. Wilton

Decorating By freddyfl Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 3:43pm by Moovaughan

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:15pm
post #31 of 46

See, while I hate that the lids leak on Wilton's, (I stopped completely removing the plastic tabs when I opened them) I love that I can really get in there and scrap out every last drop of color. With the squeeze bottles I feel like I'm losing out on some of it, cause I can't ever seem to get all of it out.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:17pm
post #32 of 46

True, but you can cut it in half and then scrape out the last bit - with a toothpick a la Wiltons!

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:37pm
post #33 of 46

Lucks Food Decorating Colors 4 Life Image

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:45pm
post #34 of 46
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 8:10pm
post #35 of 46

I must be missing something. I've used both and don't find that there's a huge advantage in using Americolor over Wilton. Yes, I like the squeeze bottle dispensing, that is quicker and easier. I've found Americolor to be very liquidy and I still have to use heaps for dark/bold colours - which means by the time I get the shade I want the fondant is extremely soft. Both brands fade when using certain colours.

Personally I don't get why Americolor is regarded as so much better. I can't help but think it has something to do with the brand name...Americans (bless them!) are so wonderfully patriotic, that I can't help but think they'd rave over any brand name with 'Americ' in it. Obviously the vast majority love Americolor, so really my opinion is moot.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 8:50pm
post #36 of 46

Coral 3 wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Americans (bless them!) are so wonderfully patriotic, that I can't help but think they'd rave over any brand name with 'Americ' in it.

What a funny and fresh insight.

But I really do prefer Americolor as my Wilton containers (also strictly an American product) with their nasty little caps and toothpicks that get so very, very messy make me prefer Americolors. That being said, if they were Britishcolors, or Canadacolors or Australiacolors etc. I would love them just the same and maybe even more. icon_wink.gif

soapy_hopie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soapy_hopie Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 9:56pm
post #37 of 46

americolor all the way

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 10:34pm
post #38 of 46

Has anyone ever tried Linneas, Inc. brand or CK brand colors. I picked some up the other day to give them a try and I haven't used them yet, but was curious to hear if anyone else had since I had never heard of them before! LOL!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:33pm
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeuhlicious

Lucks Food Decorating Colors 4 Life Image

I just got Luck's shimmer colors - LOVE them. So pretty and easy to hand paint with - and reasonably priced.

I just bought a ton of Americolor thru that sale ($.59/each) and am SO happy to never use Wilton again. Personally, with the exception of their metal piping tips, I think that company is useless.

tiptop57 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:00pm
post #40 of 46

Awe now FromScratchSF piping tips are another story and should be another thread as Wilton/Ateco are okay, but seem to rust. And as I had issues finding a #0 or #00 in Wilton and then discovered PME tips. Quite nice! I like to do fine piping and stringwork so curling strings are a nightmare and anytime I use Wilton the edges are not smooth enough for me and I always got little curlicues and I thought it was my piping skills (grrr) then I discovered these other tips..............

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:44pm
post #41 of 46

........had to walk around for 4 days with blue thumb because the color just refused to wash off........

A couple of you mentioned not being able to get color off your hands. Well here's a tip:

Ammonia - in the form of Windex Window spray.
Toothpaste
Shampoo
HOT! water

Any and all of the above will take it off. Usually I spray my hands w/Windex then rinse with water as hot as I can get it.
Just make sure that the 1st water that touches your hands is as HOT as you can stand. Cold water sets the color icon_sad.gif
Windex also removes food color from clothing. When my bottle of Windex got down about 1/2 I added more ammonia icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:52pm
post #42 of 46

Keeping from getting dyed try Synthetic or Vinyl Food Service Gloves. I swear by them and provide all my students a pair in class.

Edited as I can't spell.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:17pm
post #43 of 46

Americolor is better, hands down. I've not experienced fading, only have to use 3-4 drops for red where as Wilton I've had to use about a teaspoon of gel for the same color. It doesn't come off the hands easily, no but shouldn't that say something about the pigment in it versus the Wilton that washes off easily?

Just ordered more Americolor at the .59 price and am going to expand my color palette to include nearly all the Americolors. icon_smile.gif

CatzCreationz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatzCreationz Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:39pm
post #44 of 46

I absolutely love Americolor, I first began with Wilton and had alot of trouble getting the dark rich colours. I bought an airbrush with americolor 4.5oz colours and they are amazing. I use them in my fondant, alot. A little goes a long way and with 4.5 oz .. yay icon_smile.gif Also I've used the liquid colour in my buttercream and it does not thin it down, which is amazing considering you are adding liquid to it!

I also have to give my thumbs up to the new "Duff" gel colours! They are also amazing, the black is very black, I find that the wilton gives off a green hue and the americolor gives a dark purple hue, but Duff's is just black black! The neons are very cool, the lime green is awesome. I especially like the teal and saphire blue color!

I now want to try the lucks, I didn't know they had some and Kroma is supposedly good but I have yet to buy some.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:31pm
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

Awe now FromScratchSF piping tips are another story and should be another thread as Wilton/Ateco are okay, but seem to rust. And as I had issues finding a #0 or #00 in Wilton and then discovered PME tips. Quite nice! I like to do fine piping and stringwork so curling strings are a nightmare and anytime I use Wilton the edges are not smooth enough for me and I always got little curlicues and I thought it was my piping skills (grrr) then I discovered these other tips..............

Funny you mentioned this, I will be making a very delicate royal icing monogram for a cake I have coming up basically using stringwork techniques using the #1. I've been having the same curling problems making my testers, I thought it was my pressure or maybe the royal was too stiff even though I could swear it was the perfect consistency... It never dawned on me it could be because the tips suck! I have a set of Wiltons of course, maybe I'll order some PMEs to try them out. Thanks!

PS I ran out of Satin Ice gumpaste last night and had to resort to Wilton's, that stuff blows also. No matter what I do it always looks dry and cracked. I hope dust and color will hide the flaws!

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:43pm
post #46 of 46

Did you also see the 1 2oz extract for 1.99 (limit 1) at prepared pantry along with the .59 americolors?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%