Am Planning To Make A Wedding Cake

Decorating By GLORIA2005 Updated 12 May 2005 , 9:48pm by cakeconfections

GLORIA2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GLORIA2005 Posted 11 May 2005 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 9

for 300 to 400 people and am not sure how mucg to to charge can someone pleace help me

8 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 11 May 2005 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 9

i would charge at least $2.50 a slice. icon_smile.gif

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 9

I would also throw in some fees depending on the intricacy of the design. I made one big mistake before that I'll never make again.

I didn't charge my client for the edible beads and instead of making my own I bought some for $11.00 per bottle. It took so long to place those on her cake too. So I've learned my lesson.

beccal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccal Posted 11 May 2005 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 9

I don't know how experienced you are at cakes, but I'm just starting out and I charge $1.50 per slice and let them know I'm less expensive because I'm not as experienced. Usually this covers my costs, and gives me a little for my labor on the cake. icon_biggrin.gif But of course, feel free to charge what you want. My Wilton Course III teacher has been doing them for 20+ years and only charges $1.75 per slice. It can vary depending on the region you are in.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 12 May 2005 , 7:17am
post #5 of 9

I would charge at least $1.50-$2.00
My 1st cake went for 1.75.

Consider that some very lucky people can make as much as $10-$20.00 a slice so you still have room to move up as you improve.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 12 May 2005 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 9

I'm baking a wedding cake in August for 350 ppl....and I'm charging the girl $1.00 a slice.....she's a relative of my hubby's and she's buying the silk flowers that she wants on the cake....so since I don't have to make the flowers I thought that was a fair price...
but $2.50 is the going rate around here...more for the fancier cakes.
hope this helps you.
cakegal

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 9

I charge $2.50 per slice for basics. If they get intricate, then it price goes up. If they just want silk or fresh flowers, they buy those or pay me to buy them for the cake in addition to the per slice price.

For my first wedding cake, I charged them my "per cake" price and will never do that again! It took me forever to finish this cake and was just not worth the time.

Heck--when I got married in 1988, the cost of the cake was $1.25 per slice--I think they are getting a deal at $2.50 17 years later.

Lisa

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 9

It really depends on where you live. I charge $2.00 a slice right now and there are lots of places that charge less. I've read on some websites that really large cakes get a little of a discount. You can charge as much as someone is willing to pay... you just have to figure out what you and your clients are comfortable with. thumbs_up.gif

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 9

I would probably start at 2$ a slice for simple. If they are wanting things like gumpaste flowers or other intricate work you need to charge for that. Make sure you include rentals of any cake stands and if you are using fondant you need to start at no less then $3 but i would even say 3.50$

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%