How To Cut A Stacked Cake?

Decorating By jtka1972 Updated 7 May 2007 , 2:01pm by jtka1972

jtka1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtka1972 Posted 5 May 2007 , 11:49am
post #1 of 7

Hi
I am making a 14" stacked (no separators) square wedding cake, 2 levels, it has 2 torted layers with a cake board separating the 2 levels, buttercream icing.
Can anyone tell me how you neatly cut and serve a stacked cake for a wedding? I don't want 6" high slices. Do you re-ice after disassembling to neaten the appearance or does it look okay for serving already?
Thanks ahead of time!

6 replies
Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 5 May 2007 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 7

Usually I disassemble the layers and cut them one at a time. That way the cake still looks ok until the next layer is needed.
Also keep in mind a serving is only a 2X2 inch piece at the most. So if you have a round cake you can try and do a slice but it is better to cut it into squares all the way around.
You can find cutting patterns in a Wilton catalogue/decorating book.
Good luck Claire

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 5 May 2007 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 7

each cake should be on its own cake board, with hidden supports. So Just lift the cake off and cut as normal.

HTH

jtka1972 Posted 6 May 2007 , 12:36am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your replies.
This may be a dumb question but doesn't the bottom cake's icing stick to the board of the upper cake messing it up?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 May 2007 , 1:43am
post #5 of 7

Some, but that depends a lot on what you are using and what temp the cakes are when you take them apart. If you are using a crusting buttercream, I have heard that you can just let it crust over really well before stacking. You wouldn't want a total exploded looking cake on your hands, but once its time to disassemble and cut, it no longer matters if each tier looks perfect. I would just slide a long spat under the whole tier to loosen the icing (so that it doesn't pull off) before removing it.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 6 May 2007 , 1:59am
post #6 of 7

You need cake board and support on both cakes, to save the top of the bottom layer icon_confused.gif , I learned to put toasted coconut just before you put your top layer on.

See this tread:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-269313-.html

Good Luck. thumbs_up.gif

jtka1972 Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks SO Much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%