The Cake Mix Doctor

Decorating By Winnie Updated 18 May 2005 , 3:15pm by m0use

Winnie Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 27

I am so excited...my son got me "The Cake Mix Doctor" for Mothers Day. I can't wait to sit down and see what I want to make first. The only time I ever use a cake mix is when I make a coconut cake, everything else is from scratch.

26 replies
cakeconfections Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 27

Yes i love my book. When you are done, the cakes taste like homemade. I also got the cupcake doctor book last week. I cant wait to start playing with that one.

Enjoy your new book.

m0use Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 27

Is an AWESOME book!
I have the regular cake mix doctor book and it has improved my cakes ten fold!

Lisa Posted 9 May 2005 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 27

That's a great gift! You'll be so surprised just how good a cake from a mix can taste. Be sure to try the ripe banana loaves recipe and the cookie pops. Those are two of my favorite recipes.

Winnie Posted 9 May 2005 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 27

I can't wait...I will be out of town a couple of days and a new grandbaby any day now so as soon as everything settles I will try a few. Thanks Lisa, I will try those 2 first.

Loucinda Posted 9 May 2005 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 27

I got that for Mothers Day too!! I am still going through it to see what I want to try out first. I also got "The Essential Cake Decorating Guide" - anyone try this one? (from Thunder Bay Press) Real nice instuructions.

m0use Posted 9 May 2005 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 27

I've made the:
1) Buttermilk Devil's Food Cake
2) Spice Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (Orange Cream Cheese frosting recipe substituted lemon for orange), mmmm that frosting was sooo good
3) Amaretto Cake with 2 cups of Buttermilk Devil's Food Cake leftover batter mixed in- that was to die for
4) Amaretto Cake with 5-6 Tablespoons of cocoa mixed in (was going for same effect as cake descibed in #3, but was not the same effect, too much cocoa)
5) Bride's White Cake -my personal favorite for wedding cakes and the like
6) Stacy's Chocolate Chip cake
and that's it so far. Alot of the cakes that are in bundt pans can be made in regular cake pans without any problems.

Loucinda Posted 9 May 2005 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 27

That Amaretto sounds really good - and I of course want to try the Brides White cake!

montanakate Posted 9 May 2005 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 27

I've used the buttermilk devil's food and the brides cake and they were SOOOOO good. The brides cake I added a little of the champange flavoring (from Lorann) and it was YUMMY icon_biggrin.gif

diane Posted 9 May 2005 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 27

isn't that book great. i have tried several of their recipes...i love the chocolate and peanut butter cake and the carrot cake...oh, and the snickerdoodle cake...yum!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Winnie Posted 9 May 2005 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 27

MAN!!!!! Sounds like I will have lots of fun. Everything in the book must be yummy. My son said he started to circle the ones he wanted since he bought the book. Guess he will have to be my first to test it out.

momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 10:27pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0use

I've made the:
1) Buttermilk Devil's Food Cake
2) Spice Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (Orange Cream Cheese frosting recipe substituted lemon for orange), mmmm that frosting was sooo good
3) Amaretto Cake with 2 cups of Buttermilk Devil's Food Cake leftover batter mixed in- that was to die for
4) Amaretto Cake with 5-6 Tablespoons of cocoa mixed in (was going for same effect as cake descibed in #3, but was not the same effect, too much cocoa)
5) Bride's White Cake -my personal favorite for wedding cakes and the like
6) Stacy's Chocolate Chip cake
and that's it so far. Alot of the cakes that are in bundt pans can be made in regular cake pans without any problems.




do you think i can get that recipe to the Brides white cake? i wonder if i can do that for the wedding caek? is that with abox mix recipe?

m0use Posted 9 May 2005 , 11:12pm
post #13 of 27

Sure, I can get the recipe to you when I get home from work, won't be until late though because I have to pick my son up from my mom's first.
If you remember to melt the butter it should bake up nice and firm for you, perfect for stacking (wedding cakes).
Yes, it does use cake mix in a box, but the way it is doctored up you would have no idea.
Can you PM me your email address? I will know about the PM faster than I will with your reply post with email address.
When I get home I can email it to you. I will probably scan it into my pc instead of typing it up.
m0use

sardog57wife Posted 9 May 2005 , 11:27pm
post #14 of 27

I have made so many cakes from the CMD and the CCMD books it's not funny!! I just got the Dinner Doctor as well, my favorite pound cake recipe is in the Dinner Doctor. I just have to get the cupcake doctor and I have all the recipes. I even joined the message boards for CMD to get more doctoring tips.

Every cake I have ever made has received rave reviews, and the funny thing is everyone thinks I made the cakes from scratch!!! Right now my favorite recipe is the Best Darn Chocolate Cake mmmmhhhh yummy!!!

Stephanie W.

sunlover00 Posted 9 May 2005 , 11:49pm
post #15 of 27

I havn't made the Bride's White cake yet, but it seems pretty much like what I do anyway, except for the eggs - it says three eggs but I use 4 egg whites. Does the whole egg make the cake yellower?? Does it make it taste better than just 4 egg whites?

Lisa Posted 10 May 2005 , 2:15am
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardog57wife

I have made so many cakes from the CMD and the CCMD books it's not funny!! I just got the Dinner Doctor as well, my favorite pound cake recipe is in the Dinner Doctor. I just have to get the cupcake doctor and I have all the recipes. I even joined the message boards for CMD to get more doctoring tips.

Every cake I have ever made has received rave reviews, and the funny thing is everyone thinks I made the cakes from scratch!!! Right now my favorite recipe is the Best Darn Chocolate Cake mmmmhhhh yummy!!!

Stephanie W.




Hi Stephanie...I think it's great you joined the CMD board! You'll have to share some of the tips you pick up.

Lisa Posted 10 May 2005 , 2:16am
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlover00

I havn't made the Bride's White cake yet, but it seems pretty much like what I do anyway, except for the eggs - it says three eggs but I use 4 egg whites. Does the whole egg make the cake yellower?? Does it make it taste better than just 4 egg whites?




It does make the cake more yellow but it adds a lot of flavor too. I also think the texture is better.

Joshsmom Posted 10 May 2005 , 10:45am
post #18 of 27

Well, obviosly I'm behind the times (once again - icon_wink.gif ) and need to get out to get this book to try these fabulous recipes. Would all the major book stores carry it?

Loucinda Posted 10 May 2005 , 1:35pm
post #19 of 27

Yep! I have even seen it at the Super Wal-Mart here.

Mchelle Posted 10 May 2005 , 1:44pm
post #20 of 27

I have tried the best darn and boy that's good. I tried the brides cake and added almond flavor. That was good. I also tried one of the pound cakes and used orange juice and that was good. On the best darn I have used a chocolate cream cheese frosting and it was to die for!!! I'll have to get the cupcake doctor. Sounds like I need to get in the kitchen and bake another cake! icon_lol.gif

blueskies Posted 10 May 2005 , 4:17pm
post #21 of 27

I just got the CMD last week and have made the white and yellow sour cream cakes which are really nice and moist. I also tried the caramel frosting and penuche - both were excellent!! I made a mistake with the penuche and left it in a warm place after filling my cake. It melted into the bottom two layers but my husband said it was the best cake he's ever eaten! Talk about a moist cake! Now I have to figure out how to get that effect without leaving the cake in the sun! I love the cake doctor!!!

SadEyes Posted 10 May 2005 , 4:25pm
post #22 of 27

What does CMD mean - I would like to get the book since you make it sound so interesting - thanks in advance g

SadEyes Posted 10 May 2005 , 4:30pm
post #23 of 27

Please disregard my previous email (sent a few minutes ago) - I got the answer. thanks

AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:53pm
post #24 of 27

I love this book as well. It is my favorite recipe book to use. If you were to take a look at my book in person you can tell it has been used. I have folded pages, markings, etc.

mjones17 Posted 17 May 2005 , 3:28pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

That Amaretto sounds really good - and I of course want to try the Brides White cake!




Would you mind passing along the Brides White cake recipe? I would really appreciate it. -Michele-

mjones17@twcny.rr.com

Annalisa Posted 18 May 2005 , 7:11am
post #26 of 27

Can I please ask what champagne flavouring is, do you buy it ready made up or do you make your own.


Anna

m0use Posted 18 May 2005 , 3:15pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

That Amaretto sounds really good - and I of course want to try the Brides White cake!



Would you mind passing along the Brides White cake recipe? I would really appreciate it. -Michele-

mjones17@twcny.rr.com



Just sent it to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%