Moist Cake Secret

Decorating By klg1152 Updated 5 Feb 2007 , 11:48pm by cakeladydi

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:57am
post #1 of 80

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread going around and someone said they wrap their cakes in plastic wrap as soon as they take them out of the mold. Well, I tried it this week and it works like a charm. I took a cake to my niece's party, same recipe I have been using for a while now and everyone wanted to know what I did differently. The cake was so moist and I baked it on Monday night. I don't know who to thank but whoever posted the tip - THANK YOU!

79 replies
sweetoccasions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetoccasions Posted 19 May 2006 , 2:07am
post #2 of 80

Did you freeze, refridge, or leave out? I'm baking a cake this thurs. night to decorate fri. night and will freeze as usual, but have been thinking about just putting it in the fridge. A friend tells me freezing changes the flavor of the cake and not for the better.

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 19 May 2006 , 2:13am
post #3 of 80

Did you wrap the cake while still warm? And I'm curious about freezing, etc. too. I have frozen cakes and don't think the flavor changed, but maybe my tastebuds just aren't sensitive enough.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 May 2006 , 4:16am
post #4 of 80

I think there are some folks that are just sensitive to the taste that freezing puts into a cake. I am one who can "taste" if a cake has been frozen - and have never been wrong when guessing. Some of the people in my family think I am nuts......but, I can taste it. (and it is not a good taste)

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 19 May 2006 , 4:26am
post #5 of 80

I take my cakes out of the pans 10 min. after they are out of the oven. Is that when you wrap them in plastic wrap? If not, what is your time frame?

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 19 May 2006 , 6:04am
post #6 of 80

I have never heard of doing this, but it makes sense. Isn't this technique just using the condensation created by the heat from the cake and cool air as a sort of moistening syrup/liquid for the cake?

klg1152 Posted 19 May 2006 , 11:34am
post #7 of 80

I took the cakes out of the pan about 10 min after removing from the oven at that point I wrapped in saran wrap. I did not put it in the fridge or the freezer, just put it in my cake taker (undecorated) until yesterday afternoon when I needed to decorate. Try it - it is amazing. Did it with a 13x18 - just wrapped it right on the cooling rack and it worked fantastic, I have also put cupcakes in a cake taker while still warm and they stay moist as well. Hope it helps!

sherik Posted 20 May 2006 , 12:18am
post #8 of 80

Thanks I will try this. thumbs_up.gif

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 20 May 2006 , 4:11am
post #9 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxdesserts

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread going around and someone said they wrap their cakes in plastic wrap as soon as they take them out of the mold. Well, I tried it this week and it works like a charm. I took a cake to my niece's party, same recipe I have been using for a while now and everyone wanted to know what I did differently. The cake was so moist and I baked it on Monday night. I don't know who to thank but whoever posted the tip - THANK YOU!

Well, that was me! I have been doing it that way for 20 years! People don't believe me when I tell them it makes a difference! Helen

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 20 May 2006 , 4:24am
post #10 of 80

I've done this since I've started decorating (about 15 yrs) and I think it makes a difference... I let the cake sit for about 5-10 minutes, wrap in lots of saran wrap and stick them in the freezer. My cakes are usually frozen over night and then thawed the next day... I always have very moist cakes and I've never had a complaint from people about the taste.

klg1152 Posted 20 May 2006 , 10:38am
post #11 of 80

Helen - you are the bomb! Thank you for sharing that little secret it is amazing how moist the cakes are. Like I said I took a cake to my nieces birthday same cake I have been making forever all I did was wrap it like you suggested and everyone was raving about it saying it was the best yet and wondering what I did differently. I am going to continue this practice. Thanks again.

katiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiecake Posted 20 May 2006 , 11:28am
post #12 of 80

does the cake stick to the saran wrap?

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 20 May 2006 , 1:55pm
post #13 of 80

That's what I was wondering- does it stick? Sometimes my WASC sticks to the plastic wrap after I thaw it out.

Courtney

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 20 May 2006 , 1:58pm
post #14 of 80

I treid this but only due to it was getting late. Next day when I leveled it and tasted the scraps (which would explain diet gone to heck!) Tasted sooooo moist. I will be doing this for now on!!Works great

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 20 May 2006 , 2:10pm
post #15 of 80

It seems this works no matter the recipe used.Am I right?

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 20 May 2006 , 2:12pm
post #16 of 80

I tried it on a german chocolate cake It was SO good! Thanks Helen!

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 20 May 2006 , 2:12pm
post #17 of 80

I usually put the whole pan in a grocery store bag and tie the bag off. It works the same way as the plastic wrap. However, the plastic wrap idea would work wonderfully on a cake too big for a grocery bag or you could use a clean garbage bag.

My cakes are VERY moist by doing this.

Thanks for the reminder on the plastic wrap as I totally forgot about that.

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 20 May 2006 , 2:16pm
post #18 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

I think there are some folks that are just sensitive to the taste that freezing puts into a cake. I am one who can "taste" if a cake has been frozen - and have never been wrong when guessing. Some of the people in my family think I am nuts......but, I can taste it. (and it is not a good taste)

It's funny that you say this as I can't stand the taste of a frozen cake. I never thought about the sensitivity part though. Everyone told me that I was nuts. icon_wink.gif I worked in a grocery store for years and all of the cakes the bakery decorated came in frozen and UCK! how gross they were.... Now I know I'm not the only one who thought that... thumbs_up.gif

b

klg1152 Posted 21 May 2006 , 1:32am
post #19 of 80

I have not had a problem with the cake sticking to the saran wrap and last night I used that press and seal wrap and it worked fine too. I have used this method with two different types of cake and both came out just fine. I can't say enough about how great this works, the cake stays moist, I can bake ahead and not have to freeze.

sherik Posted 21 May 2006 , 7:19pm
post #20 of 80

Jaxdesserts:
How far in advance do you bake a cake? I have a large tiered cake to deliver
Saturday and another large tiered cake for Sunday (next weekend).
Would it be too long a time to keep if I bake Saturdays cake Tuesday night, and Sundays cake Wednesday night?

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 21 May 2006 , 7:28pm
post #21 of 80

i will definitely have to try this... my cakes are already moist but this is worth trying just to taste the difference... im so excited! icon_biggrin.gif

CakesWithAttitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesWithAttitude Posted 21 May 2006 , 7:42pm
post #22 of 80

Anytime that I don't have time to ice right away to seal in the moisture; this is what I do. And it helps.

klg1152 Posted 21 May 2006 , 9:17pm
post #23 of 80

sherik, I use to bake the day before delivery but now that I have gotten busier I am baking a few days in advance. This past week I baked Monday night for items that I delivered on Thursday (I had 3 big orders for Thursday) but I have to tell you I had some left over cupcakes (baked Monday) tasted one today and it was still fine. I think you should be ok

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 21 May 2006 , 11:29pm
post #24 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxdesserts

Helen - you are the bomb! Thank you for sharing that little secret it is amazing how moist the cakes are. Like I said I took a cake to my nieces birthday same cake I have been making forever all I did was wrap it like you suggested and everyone was raving about it saying it was the best yet and wondering what I did differently. I am going to continue this practice. Thanks again.

Thanks! It's amazing, though, I have been writing this tip on other message boards, but no one has tried it. People really think I do something magical to my cakes & if they knew it was just saran wrap....well, they wouldn't believe it! So glad you like it too! Helen

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 21 May 2006 , 11:40pm
post #25 of 80

WOW!!! I can't wait to try this!! I have three cakes this week-end, one for Friday and two for Saturday. I was wondering how I was going to get all this done while working full time. I am amazed at all you that do work full time and do a lot more cakes!!
So all you do is let it cool in the pan for 10 min. then flip out on your cooling rack and then wrap in saran wrap and the press-n-seal?
Thanks!!!!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 21 May 2006 , 11:43pm
post #26 of 80

I bake cakes at least 2 days in advance. If I don't need the pan, I'll flip it out of the pan to make sure it didn't stick, then I put the pan back on the cake, flip it back over, cover the top with wax paper and then wrap the whole thing, pan and all in saran wrap. If I need the pan, I cover the whole cake in wax paper, then in saran wrap. I don't freeze of refrigerate. They come out very moist and delicious and easy to torte. BTW I usually use enhanced cake mix formula.

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 22 May 2006 , 12:12am
post #27 of 80

I let my cakes cool for ten minutes in the pan then wrap them in saran as soon as they come out.
I have never had a problem with the saran sticking as long as you let them cool completely. I usually bake my cakes the day before I decorate them so they are completely cooled.

I tell my students, "When the steam is rising from your cake, that is the water leaving the cake!"

klg1152 Posted 22 May 2006 , 12:53am
post #28 of 80

tysmom, yes as soon as you take it out of the pan wrap it in saran wrap.

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 22 May 2006 , 1:06am
post #29 of 80

Thank you for sharing this idea I am going to try it on my next cake! I feel so lucky to have found Cake Central and all of the wonderful people who share their skills and knowledge!

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 22 May 2006 , 3:08am
post #30 of 80

I made a graduation cake two days ago and only wrapped the cake that was exposed. I should have wapped the whole thing like you guys are talking about. I do think it makes a difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%