How Far Ahead Can I Make A Ganache Covered Cake?

Decorating By BCo Updated 19 May 2006 , 11:39am by spottydog

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 17 May 2006 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 13

I need to make a pretty large Chocolate Ganache covered cake in a few weeks - I need it for Sunday at 2p - can I make it Saturday afternoon and leave it out or does it need to be refridgerated? I have other cakes to do and it would be easier to just get that one done and let it sit out. It will not have a filling in it that needs to be refridgerated.

Thanks guys for your help!

12 replies
pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 13

here's you a bump

i would think that a ganache cake has to be pretty fresh, but i could be totally wrong

don't worry, someone will respond soon thumbs_up.gif

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 13

If your ganache recipe has whipping cream, it needs to be refrigerated. I made my son's birthday cake (in my photos) covered in choc. ganache and Strawberry tux's a day ahead and it was good- it just had to be kept in the fridge.

BCo Posted 17 May 2006 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 13

thank you - now I'm confused- I just read somewhere else that it can be left out for a few days b/c you are cooking the cream!!! ARGHHHH - maybe I'll just play it safe and stick it in the fridge - one more question- does it sweat a lot when you take it back out to bring it to room temp? Don't want a sweaty cake!! lol Oh- and does it stay shiney after you take it out?

thanks again!

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 17 May 2006 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 13

Hmm,
I am trying to remember- yes, I believe it did sweat a little when I left it out, but it did stay shiny. We ate it so fast, I have a hard time remembering!
Kerri

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 17 May 2006 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 13

I've made a ganache cake, but ate it within 3 hours. It was just fine.

I'd hate for you to go through all that work just to have it not turn out right. I suggest making the cake and refrigerating it and maybe an hour before you need it pull it out to come to room temp. and putting fresh ganache over it. I think that would be the safer bet. That way you're guaranteed no mishaps since you're on a timeline.

I'd experiment on a small bundt cake before-hand if possible and see how it does.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 18 May 2006 , 2:26am
post #7 of 13

A little bit of corn syrup in the emulsion will help keep the shine.

BCo Posted 18 May 2006 , 12:29pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks guys- I think I've decided to go ahead and wait until the morning of the party to do it instead of the day before just to be safe!! Thank you for your help!

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 18 May 2006 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 13

good luck Btu, I don't blame you for waiting

BCo Posted 18 May 2006 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 13

ok- last question, I promise!! icon_razz.gif Can I make the cake ahead and refridgerate it and then put the ganache on over the cold cake or should I let the cake come to room temp first? Didn't know if the cold cake would effect the warm ganache. Ok - thanks a million again!

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 18 May 2006 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 13

If the cake is too cold the ganache will set before it has a chance to flow down the sides. I do ganache the day before all the time. Baking911.com and "Cake Bible" both say ganache can be left out for three days. (I boil the cream)

Love ganache, best tasting stuff on the planet!!!!!

BCo Posted 18 May 2006 , 8:13pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks okred - I think that's where I read the same thing about leaving it out for a few days b/c the cream is boiled. So many different options!! lol Thanks again to everyone for their help! I'll post when I'm finished!!

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 19 May 2006 , 11:39am
post #13 of 13

Great advice...I have been wanting to try this! I love this site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%