11 X 15 Sheet Cake - 2 Cake Mixes?

Decorating By midwestmom Updated 25 Jan 2014 , 12:34pm by cole10

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 18

I just bought a Wilton 11x15 sheet pan. The instructions that came with the pan says to use 11 cups of batter. It also says that one cake mix yields 4-6 cups batter.

How does everyone else make 11x15 sheet cakes? I was going to make the CMD's Darn Good Chocolate Cake. It calls for 1 cup of sour cream & a box of instant pudding & four eggs. It seems excessive to make two of these, but is that what I need to do? I usually use milk instead of water, but with a cake this big, will it make it too moist, where it might fall in the middle?

Any tips or suggestions you can give me would be appreciated. I only make cakes for family birthdays so that's just a few times a year, so I'm still fairly new at all this. Thanks in advance!

17 replies
dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 18

I made an 11 x 15 this weekend with the extender recipie . I only used one batch of extender recipie with 2 box mixes and the cake came out nice and tall, moist and a little denser than usual but it was really good. I wrapped baking strips around pan and used 2 inverted flour nails in middle and baked at 325 for 1 hour and it came out perfect. hth

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 18

You definately need 2 boxes to get a nice size cake. I always use two and add a box of pudding to each and an extra egg to each.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:03am
post #4 of 18

When I use the 11x15 I usually bake two and fill. I found that using 1.5 mixes was the perfect amount.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:57am
post #5 of 18

2 mixes

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 18

I always go with 1.5 cake mixes, bu since I always make it double layer I use 3 boxes.

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 18

I always use 2 cake mixes for an 11x15 cake, use the bake-even strips around the pan and bake at 325 degrees. I've never had to use a flower nail with mine and do not have any problems with the center being underdone or falling. I do notice, however, that it definitely takes longer for my chocolate cakes to bake than my white cakes.

Michele

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 18

Two mixes isn't enough when I bake an 11x15....the corners never rise above the pan and I have to level it quite a bit (I also use bake-even strips). Three mixes is too much batter, but I prepare three and use the leftover to make cupcakes! This way the entire cake rises slightly above the pan and I have a perfect 2" tall cake!

OH....I've also used two mixes with the cake mix extender recipe and that was just about perfect!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin

I made an 11 x 15 this weekend with the extender recipie . I only used one batch of extender recipie with 2 box mixes and the cake came out nice and tall, moist and a little denser than usual but it was really good. I wrapped baking strips around pan and used 2 inverted flour nails in middle and baked at 325 for 1 hour and it came out perfect. hth

Do you just use one extender recipe or double it?
ie:2 cake mixes plus what the box calls for &
1c flour
1/2c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp b.powder
etc..

Do you use the extender recipe with the pudding or sour cream?

Thanks!

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:19am
post #10 of 18

I use 2 mixes and 2 extenders.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:30am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelectables

I use 2 mixes and 2 extenders.

Ditto here.....jdelectables, what part of Ohio are you in?

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:22am
post #12 of 18

Thank you. I doubled the Cake Mix Doctor's Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe and it was just the right amount. I pushed down on the top of the cake just a little when it came out of the oven and it was perfectly level. It was also perfectly delicious.

bakerladybec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerladybec Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 8:57am
post #13 of 18

Ok I'm new too, and feel quite stupid but what is the cake extender, because I have a few problems at times whit my cakes, the corners not coming up even with the pan, and humping up in the center.

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:53pm
post #14 of 18

In the process of making an 11x15 double layer marble cake.  I used one vanilla cake with an extender for each layer and then one chocolate cake with extender that I divided between each layer.   I forgot to use the flower nails so I am hoping i have no problem baking at 325 with only the bake even strips this time. I usually use the nails. 

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:54pm
post #15 of 18

I am usually a scratch baker but cannot figure out how to make a marble cake with my own recipes. If anyone has a scratch marble recipe they want to share let me know. Adding cocoa to my vanilla didn't work well last time.  THanks.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 6:24pm
post #16 of 18

I baked an 11 x 15 cake recently.  I used a single mix equivalent of scratch cake, and the bake-even strips.  

I DO NOT grease the sides, I just line bottom with parchment. I didn't have to trim anything off.

I layered three of these cakes for a real solid 4" high tier.

TatianaS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TatianaS Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 3:21am
post #17 of 18

AWhat is it extender?8O

cole10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cole10 Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 12:34pm
post #18 of 18

On this same note. If I need 50 servings for a sheet cake, would size would you recommend? Wilton's serving chart say the 9x13 (I think) is 50 servings (doubled of course), but sometimes I don't trust their serving size pieces...especially when I'm not the one that's going to be serving it. Should I go ahead and make 2 layers of the 11x15??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%