Mmf Vs. Wilton Fondant

Decorating By liamsmommy Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 12:40am by terrig007

liamsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liamsmommy Posted 7 May 2006 , 6:19am
post #1 of 11

Ok so mmf is way better tast icon_confused.gif ting but is it ever as pliable as the wilton fondant?

10 replies
Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 7 May 2006 , 6:54am
post #2 of 11

Yes, pliable and has a nice satin sheen. It may be a little softer, bows are a bit harder to make if rolled to thin, but not a problem, just an observation.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 7 May 2006 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 11

I found it to be more pliable actually. Just like Rodneyck said, it can be a little hard to work with for bows and such. But adding a tiny bit of gumpaste makes it dry faster. Once I started making it, I'll never go back to Wilton.

liamsmommy Posted 8 May 2006 , 6:29am
post #4 of 11

I have made a few batches and it just does have the same texture. For example when covering the cake and smoothing the sides it breaks and cracks really easily. What do I need to add or subtract to make it more stretchy?

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 8 May 2006 , 10:43am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsmommy

For example when covering the cake and smoothing the sides it breaks and cracks really easily.

What you can do is once the mmf is on the cake, you can either smooth in some water w/your finger or add a touch of crisco and rub that in the crack and it should take it right out..

b

if the mmf is cracking before you put it on the cake, you may need to add some more crisco to the batch.
hope this helps

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 8 May 2006 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 11

I used mmf last night, and had to knead a little crisco in it to get it pliable, but I made it about a month ago. The crisco made it very easy to work with though!

liamsmommy Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 11

I originally posted this thread awhile ago. Now I have the opposite problem. Way gooey mmf! I had a cake disaster last week with gooey fondant that wouldn't harden for a bow. icon_cry.gif It was super stretchy and would just blob all over. It was awful!!

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsmommy

I originally posted this thread awhile ago. Now I have the opposite problem. Way gooey mmf! I had a cake disaster last week with gooey fondant that wouldn't harden for a bow. icon_cry.gif It was super stretchy and would just blob all over. It was awful!!

I have had this same issue, for bows I have learned to use either 50/50 fondant and gumpaste or all gumpaste.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 11

I know I am a little off subject, I was wondering if anyone had an easy and good poured fondant recipe, TIA
Deborah

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:26am
post #10 of 11

why anyone would want to eat wilton fondant is beyond me. i use it and it is easy to work with, but i mainly use it to make animals, flowers, and things like that. if they could just get it to taste as good as it works it would be o.k.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:40am
post #11 of 11

I think the same way about Wilton fondant but I sent a cake in with my husband one time with the Wilton fondant and they all loved it. A few weeks later I sent in another one with Satin Ice and they complained (I always send in a questionaire with these cakes so I can get an idea of what recipes, icings, etc. for when I open my business some day). I will be sending in fondarific next time and wonder if they'll request wilton again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%