Smooth Flowing Edges...

Decorating By luvmygirls Updated 4 May 2005 , 5:50am by tcturtleshell

luvmygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmygirls Posted 1 May 2005 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 12

I have a request for a chocolate wedding cake with chocolate icing...the bride doesn't want any "frills" at all - in fact, she wants the top edge to be smooth and "flow" over the edge - not a sharp edge. Is there a recipe for a chocolate frosting that will do this or should I thin out my regular icing to make it flow... Help

11 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 1 May 2005 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 12

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like she wants the cake to look rounded rather than flat, they're now selling pans that do this but you can do it with your icing. No, I'd make buttercream icing and add cocoa powder to make it chocolate, and keep the icing as fluffy as possible so you can round it off.
I have one video where the decorator is using a wide spatula bent to form just a curve that rounds the edges; another one uses Klear Bands, they are available at Sugarcraft.com in their Tools and Equipment classification. Hope this helps!

I think somebody invented this style cake to make covering with fondant easier. LOL Janice

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 2 May 2005 , 3:14am
post #3 of 12

Or you could use ganache, that will run to the bottom of the cake & it will look rounded. It tastes wonderful!!! You first put on a coat of Choc BCI on the cake then pour the ganache over it. The ganache recipe is on CC. Look in icings. I will look just to make sure ok.~

tcturtleshell Posted 2 May 2005 , 3:16am
post #4 of 12

ok I looked.. just go to recipes to the right of home. Type in Ganache & it will show you all the ganache recipes. There all easy & yummy!

luceymoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luceymoose Posted 2 May 2005 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 12

Here is a link to an article on creating faux fondant. I've never tried it so I hope it helps! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/article10-How-To-Create-Faux-Fondant.html

tcturtleshell Posted 2 May 2005 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 12

I tried the Faux Fondant & it works great! You should try it Luceymoose! I also like the plastic soda bottle tool! I use it for regular BCI too! It's great for the sides. Carol Ann uses Faux Fondant too & likes it.

crylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crylynn Posted 2 May 2005 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 12

O.K. What is the 'plastic soda bottle tool'?

luvmygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmygirls Posted 2 May 2005 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 12

icon_smile.gif Thanks for all your help - I'll do a test cake with Ganache then try the faux fondant...I'm hoping for a happy bride!

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 2 May 2005 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

I tried the Faux Fondant & it works great! You should try it Luceymoose! I also like the plastic soda bottle tool! I use it for regular BCI too! It's great for the sides. Carol Ann uses Faux Fondant too & likes it.

ok, i dont get it! what exactly is faux fondant?

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 2 May 2005 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 12

Faux fondant is a buttercream recipe that crusts really nice which allows you to get the smooth look of fondant. It is under receipes. I have never used it, but use crusting buttercream that also does the same thing.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 2 May 2005 , 11:19pm
post #11 of 12

Click on the link in Luceymoose's post for the bottle.

tcturtleshell Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:50am
post #12 of 12

coke bottle tool... You just cut out a shape that looks kinda like a shoe horn (that you use to get shoes on with). It is very flexible & goes with the curves of your cake. Like veejaytex said look up at luceymooses post & click on what she posted. Also look it up on recipes. It won't hurt to try it. It tastes really good too. I liked it`

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%