What's The Weirdest Wedding "theme" You've Ever He

Decorating By ruralepicure Updated 23 Apr 2007 , 12:57pm by nannaraquel

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:03am
post #1 of 18

First of all, I really hope that I don't offend anyone that has maybe had this as their wedding "theme" it's just that I've never heard of someone doing it ever before.

Camouflage!! Have you guys ever heard of this one before? And no, this isn't just the groom's cake, this is the theme for the ENTIRE wedding. No one has asked me to do the cake and I'm certainly not calling to offer!!

What are the weirdest requests/themes you've heard??

17 replies
jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:33am
post #2 of 18

you mean like the bride and groom have on fatiques and combat gear and everything? i think that would be neat....the wedding that i am going to in the fall will have a goth theme to it...one of my co-workers had a star-trek theme (in vegas) and they had the costumes, cake and everything icon_biggrin.gif

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:50am
post #3 of 18

I don't know if this qualifies, but I'm doing a wedding cake next month and the bride wants peacock feathers on it. There will be peacock feathers in her flowers too.

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:02am
post #4 of 18

I've heard of the camo theme before... usually people who are very outdoorsy, hunter types (I actually had an ex-boyfriend who suggested this... and he also wanted duck calls on all the tables as "favors" so people could blow them when they wanted you to kiss instead of clinking glasses!!). My brother broke the news to his fiancee that he was absolutely going to wear a camo tux when they get married... she might be changing her mind about marrying him now!! lol... so not that uncommon I guess depending on where you're from.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:10am
post #5 of 18

We had to do a camo wedding cake when I was at Publix. Bride was wearing a wedding gown - but made out of camo cloth. Neither she nor the groom were in the miltary. Not sure why they were doing the camo thing.

But the wierdest request I had was for a Corpse Bride cake. We had to refer the bride to independent bakery, as we weren't set up to do this kind of thing - she wanted skeleton and corpse legs and arms sticking out of the cake in random places (she wanted these molded from chocolate).

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:13am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

But the wierdest request I had was for a Corpse Bride cake. We had to refer the bride to independent bakery, as we weren't set up to do this kind of thing - she wanted skeleton and corpse legs and arms sticking out of the cake in random places (she wanted these molded from chocolate).

Ok, that is a little weird, lol!

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:21am
post #7 of 18

That's hillarious!! At least it is to me. I have done several themed weddings. Not necissarily weird, but let's see, there was a pretty wild Mardi Gras one, I made a scarecrow bride and groom to top a fall themed cake, I did one all white with black cow spots on it with a Mary's MooMoos topper, I did one with different animal prints for a wedding at the zoo, one that looked like a huge sand castle, a couple renaissance castles, and I think the weirdest one I have in my collection was a western themed cake with log poles for pillars (just fondant covered and airbrushed), and they had me make his and hers outhouses for the topper. Who puts outhouses on top of a wedding cake??? I thought it was pretty funny and it turned out really great. I wish I could put those pics in my gallery, but I don't have a scanner and they are not digital pics.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:31am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiemama

Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Ok, that is a little weird, lol!

Little?!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:43am
post #9 of 18

I could see camo being cool for a military couple but thats really it lol. I guess themes aren't really popular here. You choose colors & flowers.

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:45am
post #10 of 18

Wow, you guys have me beat! Especially prterrell, corpse wedding cake? wow, could you really even eat that??

I've been living a sheltered life of cakes here in Iowa!! Usually nothing out of the ordinary at our weddings!!

msladybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msladybug Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:50am
post #11 of 18

I live in the south in GA and camo weddings are huge here. I wouldn't have it, but people do all the time.

sugarhill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarhill Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:46am
post #12 of 18

I made cakes for a couple whose theme was "Star Wars." Although the bridal cake was the norm and the reception site was a lovely Victorian Mansion, the groom's cake was a 3-D R2-D2. We thought only the groom's cake was themed, but when we showed up at the delivery, the entire wedding party as well as some of the guests were dressed in costume. Quiet strange.

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:06am
post #13 of 18

my cousin wore a camo vest with his tux along with all the men in the wedding party, however, the wedding cake was 4 tiered, round, ivory with pearls around the bases of the cakes and pink roses placed spiratically (sp) on the cake. the grooms cake however was round with a fishing frog on the top (my cousin is a pro fisherman) , i also made 400 decorated fish cookies which were placed on all the tables

i have another cousin who's getting married this summer and i've been hearing some interesting things about the decorations. i'm not doing the cakes but i know there will be camo somewhere, my cousin is a huge hunter and has a custom painted camo truck that he's very proud of.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:39am
post #14 of 18

I have a pic in my gallery of my weirdest one... I could not ascertain an actual "theme" for the wedding... but it was a 4 tier satellite cake with the bottom center once having a yin yang on the top, the left cake had pirates charging towards the right cake which had ninjas guarding their treasure and the top center cake had the starship enterprise rising above it all. The groom went and got star trek glasses for the table and they had all of the "fun toppers they could find on there too (like the bride dragging the groom, etc...). Some of the wedding party were dressed in long blue robes (I think maybe a Star Trek thing) and they told me the convinced the guy performing the ceremony to wear one of those beer hats with the tubes that go down to your mouth!

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:54am
post #15 of 18

I'm not sure but I think you might win this one KoryAK!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:23pm
post #16 of 18

Oh my! I guess I'm not a big fan of themes, definitely not at my wedding, but they work good for kids birthday parties. LOL!

My sister is very outdoorsy and so is her fiance, but there will be no camo at this wedding! She is doing dark red and khaki for the reception linens (reminded her of a picnic tablecloth) and she did get a cute cake topper of the bride reeling in the groom on a fishing rod, and she found her fiance a silk tie with fly-fishing lures on it, but I think that is tame compared to what you guys have seen! LOL!

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 11:54am
post #17 of 18

KoryAK....I was sitting here giggling as I read your description of that cake, and was half convinced that you were just pulling our legs. Then I went to check out your photos, and could NOT stop laughing! The cake was beautifully done, and I LOVE it, but I can't imagine what was going through your head as you were making it! LMAO I showed my Husband the picture, and read the explanation of it, he's now convinced that it was the greatest wedding cake EVER! LOL It's absolutely going in my favorites, hopefully someday I'll have a reason to try something similar! Thanks for sharing, you made my day! lol

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:57pm
post #18 of 18

BTW, I don't know if this counts as "weird", but it definitely wasn't your everyday average wedding--my uncle and his wife got married on the farm that my mother and her siblings grew up on. They had a very "country" theme--the groom and all of the groomsmen wore blue jeans under their tux jackets (with bolo ties instead of regular neckties). The bridesmaids had sage green knee-length sundresses and all wore cowboy boots. Oh, and the real kicker--the guests were asked to all dress casually, because for the ceremony they were seated on hay bales! Now that I think about it more, I'd say yes, it counts as weird! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%