Castle Cake Question

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 18 Apr 2007 , 9:45am by 2txmedics

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 2:11am
post #1 of 7

Im wanting to make a castle cake. I know I read somewhere in here that you can use empty food cans different sizes.

My question is this: I bought 3 pampered chef, 12" tubes...each tube is shaped different: flower, star and a heart. The woman said she owned some and did candles in them and knew of others that baked bread in them. icon_smile.gif

I thought great! this will be my towers for the castle...each side has a lid on it...so I placed the lids, filled them with batter and decided to put in another pan for extra over flow. Will yes, the did bake inside the cake, oly 1/2 of it...the other...the batter flowed out of the bottom onto the pan I had set them in. icon_sad.gif

What do u think the pampered chef tins are for? and do u think this would work?? or should I stick to cans???
THANKS AHEAD OF TIME.

6 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 2:40am
post #2 of 7

I would probably stick to cans... or you can bake in sheets, cut rounds, and stack em up.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 2:56am
post #3 of 7

I would not use those tins for castle cakes.

However, back in a previous life, I sold Pampered Chef. In order to use runny batter, such as cake batter, in those tubes, you must place a large piece of greased, heavy duty foil between the bottom of the tube and the bottom cap.

I still bake bread for every holiday in those things. It's the only thing I use them for.

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:08am
post #4 of 7

According to the book I purchased at Hobby Lobby called Celebrate with a Cake by Lindy Smith, she used paper towel and toilet paper tubes for her towers and covered them with Fondant. She used pointed ice cream cones for the tower caps and covered them with ribbons of Fondant.

If you are going to ice them, I would use KoryAK suggestion.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:25am
post #5 of 7

I've done three castles and all in different ways.

1. The towers were the plastic pushdown dowels with rings covered in frosting and sugar ice cream cones on top.

2. An 8" stacked on a 10" pushed to the front and just plain ol' ice cream cones as the towers.

3. Three 10" stacked together and the towers are four 3" cakes stacked. I cut little 'indentions' into the 10" cakes to make it look like the towers were really attached. The 10" cakes had dowels and all that good stuff, but the 3" didn't - it was faith, prayer and lots of frosting that kept them together.

Hope that helps - or at least gives you more ideas.

Paintedlady201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paintedlady201 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:47am
post #6 of 7

I used rice crispy treats for my castle turrets. They're light weight and edible (if that's important to you), and you can run a sharpened dowel rod through them from the top to bottom to secure into the board. I just buttered some plastic cups, all the same size and pressed the hot rice crispies into them. I let them dry overnight and took out the next day. I iced them with buttercream and covered with fondant. You can see the pics in my photos. Hope this gives you some alternatives. icon_biggrin.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 9:45am
post #7 of 7

icon_smile.gif Thanks for the wonderful advice. Im still waiting on how to find the article on how to use the cans...I found it once in here. but the part of putting foil on the bottom of those cans never crossed my mind.

I do love the part of cutting into them to fit them into the corner really good making them look like there attached to the actual castle.

Thats why I come in here....for advice, and feed back....and support... icon_biggrin.gif I think I did realize that whipped icing wont be good for holding anything up. ....so that Im not doing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%