Sturdy Cake Board For Heavy Cake???

Decorating By bulldog Updated 28 Apr 2006 , 2:15pm by ellepal

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 36

Hey guys, I am doing a stacked cake that will be double layer 12", double layer 10", and double layer 8". I am looking for something that will hold up to the weight, be thick enough to wrap a ribbon around it, and as cheap as possible, but still work.
OK, let me hear all your great ideas....

35 replies
bulldog Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 36

Bump.

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 36

One thing I have read about doing for the base of a very large cake is to get a piece of plywood or masonite and cover in foil. Or, you can go to the hardware store and have them cut square pieces of glass. they polish the edges and then you can add round door stops for feet. you can also get round and square table tops of glass from hobby lobby, it is very thick, finished on the edge and looks great. also large mirrors would work, either way you will need 2 to 3 thicknesses of cake board underneath the cakes. Any way you look at it, the hardware store is a good place to start!! icon_smile.gif

dishguyswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dishguyswife Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 36

I always use plywood, it works great, nice and sturdy! I cover it with shelving paper and it wipes right off.

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 36

i wonder if you could just hot glue 3 of the wilton thick cakeboards together and then cover it with fabric and ribbon??????

Do you actually set the cake on top of the fabric or do you glue or tape the cake board (small one that the cake is on) onto the big cakeboard?????...

dishguyswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dishguyswife Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 36

I wouldn't think you would want to set the cake right on the fabric, the buttercream would leave an oily residue on the fabric.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 36

It's a very heavy cake for cake boards - even 3 put together. If you do use the cake boards - when you turn the boards over you can see what I call "ribs" - it's the chambers of the carboard - well - when you place the boards together - make sure the "ribs" are running criss cross - don't have the lines running in the same direction for all your boards - spin one of the boards so that the lines run in the other direction (cross-ways)and make the 3rd one run so the lines are running in the same direction as the first one. I hope I wrote this so you can understand it. This technique provides extra support and makes the boards much more sturdy. Personally I use plywood. I work too hard to chance a mis-hap with cardboard but we all use what's available to us. Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 36

glad you got some responses, one of my fears is having a cake slip or collapse. good luck!

bulldog Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 36

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go with the plywood. thumbs_up.gif

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 12:00am
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog

Hey guys, I am doing a stacked cake that will be double layer 12", double layer 10", and double layer 8". I am looking for something that will hold up to the weight, be thick enough to wrap a ribbon around it, and as cheap as possible, but still work.
OK, let me hear all your great ideas....

bulldog,
In Australia we use two different types of board, the ones you guys call cake circles, which are used for small birthday cakes, and the masonite boards which we use for wedding cakes and larger cakes. The masonite boards come pre covered in silver or gold paper. Here is where you can purchase them in Australia, only thing would be that the postage may be rather high.
http://www.bakerysugarcraft.com.au/products/main.asp?C=32&G=21

Nati

bulldog Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 12:13am
post #11 of 36

Thanks Boonenati, I have seen those here, but did not know if they would be strong enough.

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 12:31am
post #12 of 36

You could use masonite or you can buy the pre-covered cake drums that will hold alot of weight. In fact the last one I used held a double 14", double 10" and double 8". It was about $6 at the cake store. It's thick enough to wrap a ribbon around, where masonite isn't.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 12:45am
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyjo30

i wonder if you could just hot glue 3 of the wilton thick cakeboards together and then cover it with fabric and ribbon??????

Do you actually set the cake on top of the fabric or do you glue or tape the cake board (small one that the cake is on) onto the big cakeboard?????...

Depends on the fabric but with some you can put the cake directly on the fabric, always wash it first. On some fabrics I cut a circle of clear contact paper that is actually a vinyl with an adhesive back. Or you can use a cake board over top, one about the same size as the cake. Fabric can be removed and re-used. I don't find the grease spreading out on the fabric a problem except with some types of satin and of course with some fabrics with heavier naps, you wouldn't want any fuzz coming off, onto the cake so you would want a barrier in between.
3 thickness of cardboard are not heavy enough for this type of cake as they could cause cracking issues with the icing.
Hugs Squirrelly

bulldog Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 12:49am
post #14 of 36

Hey thyterrell-- I was actually talking about a cake drum. I can get them at my local cake shop. You used them, and they are strong enough to hold the cake I am talking about? That would be great to use one of the drums.

I am not actually covering the entire board with fabric, just wrapping a ribbon around the sides.

Thanks again guys!!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 12:49am
post #15 of 36

Here we would use the masonite or cake drums for the not too terribly big and heavy cakes and for the larger heavier ones, 1/2 inch plywood or a heavy duty cake base like the one Wilton makes. Masonite can only support so much weight before being susceptible to snapping, it is stronger than cake drums but not as strong as 1/2 inch plywood.
Hugs Squirrelly

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:01am
post #16 of 36

I usually use a cake drum that I make myself by using four or more cardboard cake circles (I let the width of my ribbon determine the number of circles I stack up), but I have also used a top to the cheapie three-legged tables that are made to have those round table cloths on top of. They are about $8, are nice and big for large layers, and if I don't get them back from the customer, it isn't the end of the world.

Deanna

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:57am
post #17 of 36

What exactly is a cake drum? I have seen it mentioned several times, and I have either never seen one, or never noticed one!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 2:02am
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyterrell

...........It's thick enough to wrap a ribbon around, where masonite isn't.

Actually this depends on the thickness of the masonite and the ribbon you have. The covered masonite boards i buy are thick enough to put a ribbon, and sturdy enough to hold a lot of weight.
All of these cakes were done without ribbons, but they were large. The top one has a 14inch base, and the other is 7 x 3 inch high cakes stacked. Both of them had to be carried into the reception by two ppl.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=boonenati&cat=0&pos=107
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=boonenati&cat=0&pos=11

Then with these two cakes, i covered the boards, same thickness as above with fondant, to match the cake and then wrapped a ribbon to match around the whole thing. As you can see it was thick enough for the ribbon.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=boonenati&cat=0&pos=111
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=boonenati&cat=0&pos=3

Hope this helps
Cheers
Nati

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 2:04am
post #19 of 36

I used a cake drum on a stacked 10-9-6 scratch cake (Mardi Gras in photos). Man that thing was heavy! Cake drum worked like a charm. Afterwards, I took it apart to see what a cake drum was (tee-hee) and it's just 4 cake circles glued together covered in foil!

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 2:13am
post #20 of 36

I go to places like Lowe's or appliance stores and get large boxes that usually hold appliances, chairs, etc. The cardboard is usually a little thicker on those boxes. Depending on how much weight I want it to support, I'll go 4 or 5 layers thick, run the corrugated boards in opposite direction of the one it sits on and also put a little glue between each layer. I have yet to have a problem with this method. The boxes don't cost anything, so if I don't get the base back, it's no big deal.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 12:51pm
post #21 of 36

For rather large cakes I have taken to using plywood or mdf as a base board then a cardboard board directly under the cake. If you are using Fondant then you can cover the board with fondant. You could also cover the board with wallpaper and there are many things you can use to cover boards. If I was using fabric to cover the board I would either put a cardboard board under it or a piece of grease proof paper/gladbake or similar under the cake to save any unwanted marks on the fabric.

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 12:55pm
post #22 of 36

There's another thread on this site somewhere that I got the idea of using floor tiles as a cake base. I had a wedding to do a few weeks ago and I used a 16 x 16" floor tile. It was great!! Nothing moved around and it looked really cool too!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 2:59am
post #23 of 36

Hi, Bulldog! Greetings from blakescakes in Cleveland!

Colette Peters uses 1/2 inch foamcore for heavy cakes and doubles it for very heavy cakes. She swears by it because it's sturdy, easily cut, and cheap enough so that if it isn't returned/returnable, it's no problem--good enough recommendation for me icon_lol.gif

Rae

bulldog Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 12:00pm
post #24 of 36

Thanks everybody! I actually have the plywood cut with some feet on bottom so I can pick it up, but I will keep all ideas under my hat.

Hey, Blakescakes--Glad to hear from you. I have used so much I learned in Columbus. Take care thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 12:12pm
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

I usually use a cake drum that I make myself by using four or more cardboard cake circles (I let the width of my ribbon determine the number of circles I stack up), but I have also used a top to the cheapie three-legged tables that are made to have those round table cloths on top of. They are about $8, are nice and big for large layers, and if I don't get them back from the customer, it isn't the end of the world.

Deanna

Now that's a cool idea....do you get those at Walmart?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 12:32pm
post #26 of 36

Hey Kitagrl....I've seen those tables at Dollar General stores for under 5 bucks!!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 12:35pm
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Hey Kitagrl....I've seen those tables at Dollar General stores for under 5 bucks!!!

Wow what a cool idea... I was wondering because I have a stacked wedding cake coming up and I didn't take any "return deposit" so I wanted to find something sturdy yet cheap so I don't have to worry about it. That sounds perfect!!!!

Thanks!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 5:28pm
post #28 of 36

Blakescakes, where do you get the foamcore? Sounds like it would work really well. Thanks

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 4:22pm
post #29 of 36

I get my foamcore at Michaels or JoAnnes. They have sales off and on that puts a 20x30 inch 3/16th inch board at 89-99 cents. For the thicker stuff, I use coupons to get it down to $2.50/board. You can also find it at larger WalMarts (sometimes) and at art supply stores online or brick & mortar shops.

I should also note that for very heavy or awkward cakes, it's a good idea to put a second board under the first that is an inch or so smaller in width so that you have an area where you can get your fingers under the board & cake to carry it and to set it down easily. This also makes the cake look like it's floating on the table and that's a neat effect for cheap icon_biggrin.gif

Rae

SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 3:09am
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I get my foamcore at Michaels or JoAnnes. They have sales off and on that puts a 20x30 inch 3/16th inch board at 89-99 cents. For the thicker stuff, I use coupons to get it down to $2.50/board. You can also find it at larger WalMarts (sometimes) and at art supply stores online or brick & mortar shops.

I should also note that for very heavy or awkward cakes, it's a good idea to put a second board under the first that is an inch or so smaller in width so that you have an area where you can get your fingers under the board & cake to carry it and to set it down easily. This also makes the cake look like it's floating on the table and that's a neat effect for cheap icon_biggrin.gif

Rae

Rae, everyone seems to be referring to something different when they talk about foamcore. If this is the stuff meant for crafts, that looks kind of like corrugated cardboard but is more of a plastic, then it is not the safest material for cake boards mainly because it can snap and break. It tends to get stress fractures and is not meant for heavier weights. I know different people call different things foam core, but the craft kind, that is really thin, can break quite easily. Not sure if this is the one you mean or what. There is a fair bit of give with the one I am talking about which is not good for some cakes as it causes icing cracks too. I looked into the building supply foamcore which is meant as a type of isulation barrier in areas where you need a flexible product. I checked it out with the manufacturer and it also is not recommended as it cannot support weight. There are at least 3 different products I know of that people refer to as foamcore.
Hugs Squirrelly
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%