Decorating Styrofoam

Decorating By Pamela Updated 13 Apr 2007 , 11:41am by indydebi

Pamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamela Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:31am
post #1 of 3

Has anyone decorated Styrofoam? I went to a wedding once and they had the most gorgeous cake. Come to find out, it was decorated Styrofoam!! I've been asked to make a wedding cake and I would like to do the same. Any tips or advise to help make things go smoothly? I was possibly going to use fondant but will use buttercream or royal if that's what works best.

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:11am
post #2 of 3

Brides sometimes chooe a larger decorative 'fake' cake and serve only one tier or plain sheet cakes to the guests. Although, it doesn't save any money, the fake can be much larger for dramatic effect without so much left over cake.

Cake dummies are available in most decorating stores and on-line. You can decorate them the same way you would any other cake using whatever icing you want. Royal or fondant are a bit more permanent.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 11:41am
post #3 of 3

you can order the shaped styro's at www.dallas-foam.com Some folks wrapped them in saran before decorating. I don't ..... just regular buttercream! Kept one for 10 months and when I was ready to swap it out, I just slid a knife under the hardened icing and it popped right off.

I've used them for brides who want a grand centerpiece cake for their reception. Once bride wanted a double cake but it couldn't be done for 100 guests. So one of the cakes is styrofoam. HEre's the pic.... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=indydebi&cat=0&pos=73

I have a 50th anniversary coming up and the couple was in a dilemna on when to cut the cake. It's an open house and they wanted to preserve the wedding cake as long as possible. So I suggested we do a 2-tier styrofoam and have brownies (they had ordered brownies also) and a sheet cake cut for the guests. They LUV'd this idea.

I've also used the stryrofoams as a cake stand. The wedding cake is a small cake, but bride wants it to sit a little taller. I will place a 14" styrofoam on the table and cover it with a linen, then place the cake (which has a 12" base tier) On top of this.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=indydebi&cat=0&pos=81 This cake has a styrofoam under the tiered cake to elevate just the exact height so the satellites can be slightly tucked underneath the tiered cake.

These little suckers are very versatile!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%