What Would You Charge?

Decorating By craftmasterchris Updated 16 Apr 2007 , 9:30pm by superstar

craftmasterchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftmasterchris Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 27

I have a customer requesting this cake. She wants it just like the picture, it is a cake someone else has done. It looks like it is the size of a wedding cake and is covered in fondant. I am thinking it should be the price of a wedding cake. It is for a 1st birthday so I am unsure of what I should charge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My husband says $200 at least, but I am not very comfortable with that. I have done a 2 tiered castle with the towers on top with just icing and charged $65, I need help!

Thanks,
Christina
LL

26 replies
becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 27

listen to your husband.....just look at all the detailed work that is in this cake...not to mention all the time it will take to cover this thing with fondant!! and what about your time...whew!!!! hahahaha i agree with your husband!!!!! good luck...keep us posted!!!!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 27

craftmasterchris wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

My husband says $200 at least, but I am not very comfortable with that. I have done a 2 tiered castle with the towers on top with just icing and charged $65, I need help!

I would charge $485 for that cake. I am thinking it is 90 servings at $5.00 a serving plus $35 for the turrets. But I am in a metro area. If you are in a rural or economically depressed area, I would charge about $4.00 to $4.50.

BTW, IMHO you way under-charged for your two tiered castle cake! Remember you are making a hand crafted, custom cake and not cheap cakes!

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 27

Wow! That's gorgeous! Yes, I would definitely charge wedding prices for this because it is so detailed and so big. Now, I know there's differing opinions on this too, but if your customer didn't need all that cake (that would certainly be alot of cake!) you could do 1 or 2 of the tiers styrofoam. I personally don't charge as much for my styrofoam layers just because it saves me the headache of having to bake that much cake. I'd much rather ice and decorate a dummy! But even if you did do dummys, I agree completely with your hubby, $200 is the least you should charge. Anything less would be giving it away.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 27

I don't know- I would start by figuring out how much I would charge for each tier (its hard to tell how big each cake is --10, 8 & 6??) -- anyway, then add those up and the figure out how much extra per slice or per cake you want to charge for the detail.

You could always offer $200 or whatever for a very close replica of this cake....and if she says that's out of her budget, you could do a less elaborate version for less $.

shelleylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelleylynn Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 27

I have to say nothing less than 150.00. That is alot of work.
Good luck!!!!

Shelleylynn

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 27

Where I live I would have are hard time asking for $200, but I think I would for a beautiful cake like that!
Another one voting with husband's idea.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 27

I am making a 2 tiered castle cake for this weekend. The castle part is 9" x 7", but not sure how tall to make it? How tall is bottom castle part in this picture? How tall are the turets? I am also adding 4 turrets to the cake I will be making.

The 2nd tier is a 6" round cake with a turret................and stupid me quoted a price of $45.00 dollars.

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 27

I think, regardless of your location, even $200 is too little for that cake. It's gorgeous, huge and a LOT of work. I would charge at least $400. If the customer doesn't want to pay that, then tell her you could do a smaller version since that cake serves at least 90 people like a PP said....

HTH

Jen

PS be sure to post and let us know what you end up charging her and what she said...

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 27

I think anything less or very close to $200 is giving this cake away. That's a lot of detail and hours.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 27

The cake looks like a 6, 8 and 10 covered in fondant with seven towers, plus drop flowers. the board will need to be thick enough to hold the cake.

So $250 to $300 maybe, look around.

here are some pretty castle cakes, from the UK.

http://www.cakesunlimited.net/html/body_castle_cakes.html

here coment on the cake below by a mother:

This cake was made for my daughter's 4th birthday celebration! Next time I make a castle cake I'll add more color, but on this one I ran out of time. Didn't realize how much time this would take! It was fun though.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3076/1425/1600/100_4793.0.jpg

main link to her page> she has some nice cakes.

http://cakespace.blogspot.com/

Just wanted you to see how much work goes into a castle cake so do not short change yourself.

good luck

tiptop57 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 27

southaustingirl wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

The 2nd tier is a 6" round cake with a turret................and stupid me quoted a price of $45.00 dollars.

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif The client would only get a couple of cupcakes from me for that price......

craftmasterchris Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:05pm
post #13 of 27

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question. I guess my husband is right I have been charging less than I should for my cakes. I know I put a lot of hours into my cakes and a lot of hard work, it is just hard to ask for what they are worth. I think I will as for $200, I will keep you all posted and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Christina

P.S. You all are great with all of your support. Thanks!

craftmasterchris Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:29am
post #14 of 27

Southaustingirl, I think the bottom layer is 4 inches tall and the towers are 4 1/2 to 5 inches tall. Thanks for replying to my question, everyones input helps. I still haven't emailed her back yet, I am still having a tough time with the price. I will see how it goes and keep you all posted.

Thanks,
Christina

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:56am
post #15 of 27

Don't charge less than $200.00 that is really too little for that cake. Keep us posted.

Jenteach Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 11:30am
post #16 of 27

OK - here's your cheering section.....

You can do it! You can ask her for at least $200 for that cake. Your time and effort is worth even more then that. You are VERY talented and deserve to be compensated for your work of art!

Jen

tiptop57 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 1:15pm
post #17 of 27

Craftmasterchris if the bottom is 4 inches then 200 is still too low!!!!!!! If this person can't afford the price she shouldn't be in your store. She should stand outside and window shop instead!

dolcesunshine20 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:36pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenteach

OK - here's your cheering section.....

You can do it! You can ask her for at least $200 for that cake. Your time and effort is worth even more then that. You are VERY talented and deserve to be compensated for your work of art!

Jen

Just what I was thinking!

craftmasterchris Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 5:49am
post #19 of 27

Thanks dolcesunshine20, Jenteach, & tiptop57 for the cheering section, I really need it. My husband had just asked me today if I had given her a price yet, and of course I haven't because I have been really worried about losing a customer. I guess I will go ahead and take the chance and see what she says, all she can say is it is to much. I will let you know.

Thanks again, everyone!
Christina

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 5:59am
post #20 of 27

I don't think it ought to matter whether it's a 1st b-day cake or a wedding cake. If someone wants an elaborate detailed cake for any occassion they need to pay what it's worth. This is a beautiful cake and it's going to take a lot of time and talent to pull it off. Set your price and quote it to her and if she wants it she'll pay it. You can't do work like this and then under charge for it just because it's for a 1 year old's b-day. Geesh............ Think of all that you put into your cakes. This momma needs to know right now that she ain't gettin this type of cake for chicken feed, so to speak. Good luck!

craftmasterchris Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 3:17am
post #21 of 27

Guess What?................She said YES!!!!!!! I finally emailed her this afternoon and she replied shortly afterward and said that was the cake she had her heart set on and she really wanted it. Thanks to your support and my husband I took a giant step on this cake. This is my most expensive birthday cake to date. I will post the picture when I finally do the cake in September. I will be keeping my fingers crossed until then.

Thanks for all of your support,
Christina

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 3:41am
post #22 of 27

Well, good for you!!! That's exciting, I know.

dolcesunshine20 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 11:28am
post #23 of 27

VERY good for you!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jenteach Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 11:34am
post #24 of 27

Good job! I'm so glad you told her the price it's worth - for the cake and your time....

Congratulations.

Jen

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 11:43am
post #25 of 27

[quote="craftmasterchris"]Guess What?................She said YES!!!!!!!/quote]

Congratulations! That's great. As a people pleaser myself, I know that that took a lot.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 1:41pm
post #26 of 27

Congrats! Anyone should see that the cake is well worth the money. If they don't, tell them to go to wal-mart and try to get the cake made, lol!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 9:30pm
post #27 of 27

looking forward to seeing your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%