I Want My Cakes Perfectly Smooth! Please Help!

Decorating By lalerlang Updated 2 Apr 2006 , 12:45am by cdstem

lalerlang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalerlang Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 8

I've been decorating cakes for years and never seem to get consistently smooth BC icing. I use the recipe in the Wilton books, and sometimes it is easier to smooth than other times. I did one cake recently that iced like butter. I didn't even have to try. Oher times it's a downright nightmare! I used to use milk for thinning, then someone suggested corn syrup. Most of the time I use corn syrup, I get a grainy texture as a result, but not always. What's going on? I've done the VIVA paper towel thing, but even if I get it smooth, sometimes it's the texture that's wrong. It seems like there are little holes almost like tears in the frosting that I can't smooth out. I've tried freezing them and "polishing" them with a hot knife. I can usually get a cake nearly perfect but it takes hours! There must be a better way! If anyone can tell me a recipe or technique that always works I would be SO appreciative! I want to try some 3D cakes but the thought of smoothing all those little edges gives me a headache!

7 replies
HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 8

I'm not the best at smoothing, but I can offer one piece of advice.

Make sure you beat your icing at very low speed. If you incorporate too much air, you can get air pockets and bubbles in it that make those little "tears" you are describing.

Good luck!

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 8

There is a thread on here somewhere that says to smooth twice with Viva and then with computer paper. Can't remember exactly where but everyone who tried it seemed happy. I need to try that, my icing is never smooth enough.

Also, as recommended, I just went and bought some painting,spackling knives.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 8

This is the thread Joanmary was talking about. I am having the same issues. I can't wait to try the computer paper mentioned here.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-19948.html

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 12:00am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalerlang

I've been decorating cakes for years and never seem to get consistently smooth BC icing. I use the recipe in the Wilton books, and sometimes it is easier to smooth than other times. I did one cake recently that iced like butter. I didn't even have to try. Oher times it's a downright nightmare! I used to use milk for thinning, then someone suggested corn syrup. Most of the time I use corn syrup, I get a grainy texture as a result, but not always. What's going on? I've done the VIVA paper towel thing, but even if I get it smooth, sometimes it's the texture that's wrong. It seems like there are little holes almost like tears in the frosting that I can't smooth out. I've tried freezing them and "polishing" them with a hot knife. I can usually get a cake nearly perfect but it takes hours! There must be a better way! If anyone can tell me a recipe or technique that always works I would be SO appreciative! I want to try some 3D cakes but the thought of smoothing all those little edges gives me a headache!

Try using a piece of parchment paper to smooth your icing out with.

NCdadof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NCdadof5 Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 12:31am
post #6 of 8

I have noticed that mixing to long gets more bubbles in the icing...

but my pressure on the spatula really makes the tears as you say, I am a big guy and it seems that it smoothes better when I just lay it on the icing and pull... trying to push it around, I get the tears like crazy!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 12:39am
post #7 of 8

I use the spray bottle that someone from this site posted and it works great. It used to take me hours and more hours. Just sparay H2O on with a spray botle that has a fine mister and smooth. Most of the time the frosting is going to becovered with decs. anyway.

cdstem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdstem Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 12:45am
post #8 of 8

i use to push my icing around too like that. then i would start pulling the icing off. i then got to where i wouldnt care how smooth it was with the spatula. i would just use the icing tip and get the icing on the cake. after that i would use the spatula (after running hot water over it and shaking it off.....not wiping) to smooth down the lines and get the shape of the cake. not too worried about smoothness. then i will let it sit for about 5 mins. then go over it with the viva. using the viva i would hold it in one place and use my hand to smooth everything in one direction (dont go two directions). do that all the way around the cake and not worry too much about the top corners cause it will be covered up. works great for me. i use to spend 2 hours trying to smooth and then tried this and can get a cake smooth in less than 20 mins. i love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%