Lavender Flavored??

Decorating By cb_one Updated 14 Jul 2016 , 9:40am by hep275

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 20

I have a 75 guest b-day party in a couple of weeks and the colors are white, pink, and lavander.
It's going to be a 3-tier cake, and as a surprise I was going to do the top tier witha white cake and was wondering if anyone has used lavender as a flavoring?
I found a pastry shop in Va that sells essence jars in different scents. They are imported from France and are excellent! Anyway, they sell a Lavander essence as well.

Anybody out there?

19 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 20

Never heard of it! But it does sound good~ Mabye someone out there has used it~

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 20

I think that I've seen recipes with actual lavendar mixed in but not sure. Sorry, I'm not too much help!

sujeeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sujeeart Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 20

I've had a cake with a mild flavor of rose and that was good. I guess that doesn't really help you though. If the essence isn't very expensive what would it hurt to try.

cb_one Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 20

The bottle I believe goes for $16 I think ?? It's a 6oz bottle.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 20

I've eaten lavendar ice cream. I know that a lot of people use lavendar to flavor many items...there have been articles in Taste of Home and Country Women about it.

cb_one Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 20

The bottle I believe goes for $16 I think ?? It's a 6oz bottle.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 20

What part of Va was this pastry shop in. You can cook with lavender. There are actually some essential oils that you can cook with that are stronger the extracts so you only need a drop or so. You just want to make sure that they are organic and they come from a reputable source.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 20

Lavendar goes really well with lemon. You could do a lemon cake with a hint of lavendar. That way you don't have to worry about the lavendar flavor being too strong as it will be a background note to the lemon.

cb_one Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Lavendar goes really well with lemon. You could do a lemon cake with a hint of lavendar. That way you don't have to worry about the lavendar flavor being too strong as it will be a background note to the lemon.

Well one of the tiers was goig to be a White Lemon cake w/Lemond Curd filling...thanks for the idea!

da757deevalibra - The shop is called La Cuisine, I think it's in Alexandria.
here it is... lacuisineus.com

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:49pm
post #11 of 20

Thank..yea that's a lil ways from me I'm in Va. Beach, but I'll know if ever I make it up there.

KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:05pm
post #12 of 20

I think lavender flavoring is one of those things that you either love or hate. I would definitely err on the side of not enough flavoring rather than too much, though. It is quite unpleasant when the flavor is too strong- it's like you just took a swig of eau de toilette. Yuck.

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 12:24pm
post #13 of 20

You can flavor regular granulated suar with lavender to give it the herbal tasie. Just store a sprig of lavender in with the sugar to flavor. maybe you could flavor the psugar for the frosting or the sugarf or the cake if you bake from scratch if you do that. much CHEAPER!!

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:33pm
post #14 of 20

Hasn't Nigella Lawson done some lavender flavoured cup cakes before?

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 7:32pm
post #15 of 20

I have used lavender in a number of recipes. I use dried. I have used it three ways, process the dry lavender with powdered or granulated sugar until it is fine, make a strong tea in water or milk it and use the liquid, or infuse butter with it by putting the dried lavender in a pan of melted butter and keep it warm until the butter has become infused. I also use this butter method for earl grey tea flavored madelienes.

I've made a lavender infused white cake, lavender madelienes, lavender shortbread and lavender marshmallows.

I love to see people's faces when they open a tin of lavender infused cookies, cakes or marshmallows and the lavender wafts up at them.

I used lavender from Penzeys Spices and it wasn't very expensive but it was strongly aromatic.

TracisCreations1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracisCreations1 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:15am
post #16 of 20

AKayakado, how much lavender do you use per recipe? What's the difference between dried and the extract?

amyvanderhaag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyvanderhaag Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 3:49pm
post #17 of 20

I have used Lavendar Extract and LOVE it!  I've used it in baking and in Strawberry-Lavendar Jam.  The brand I used is Beanilla and am very happy with it.  If I did it correctly, the link should be pasted below.

https://www.beanilla.com/lavender-flavor-extract

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 4:30pm
post #18 of 20

I recently had an order for a lavender cake with lemon curd and lavendar buttercream.  I researched and what I ended up doing was ordering culinary dried lavender through amazon.  I put about a half cup of the lavender in a container with enough sugar for the cake, swiss meringue and a batch of simple syrup - extra to be sure.  I let it sit for a few days.  Then I sifted out the lavendar from the sugar.  I made the cake and swiss meringue with the infused sugar and ended up using a few drops of lavender essential oil - ok for food use to give it a little more lavender - but be very careful so you don't end up with a soapy taste.  I made a batch of simple syrup for soaking the cake using the infused sugar and another 1/2 cup of lavender.  I let the lavender sit in the syrup which it cooled overnight and then strained it out.  The cake and buttercream was really really good.  I wasn't sure I would like it but I did and the client did as well!  The cake recipe was a basic vanilla scratch cake.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 7:37pm
post #19 of 20

I infuse warmed 35% cream or milk with dried lavender... that gives enough flavour.  Have used dried lavender in cookies but watch out it can be a very strong flavour.  it seemed to get stronger as days went by ( did shortbread).  I grow and dry my own lavender ...never used the essences before.

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 9:40am
post #20 of 20

i have been looking at new cupcake recipes recently and found one for lavender and honey.....I have to say I've not yet tried them but they use real lavender flowers - apparently all the flowers are edible - but I imagine you would be better to use less than more as it probably wouldn't take much to become quite unpleasant instead of being a nice subtle and unusual flavour - and the oils/essences will be more intense.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%