Do You Think My Stuff Is Good Enough

Decorating By schildwaster Updated 6 Apr 2007 , 11:10pm by oritdecor

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 28

ok I need feedback from people that know what they are talking about. Meaning you guys, cake people. Are my cakes good enough to open a cake decorating business out of my home? Go ahead and be brutal. I need to know what to really improve on. But, before you start, I know I need more professional looking cake boards, and my pictures need to be tweeked (background,lighting) other than that, please let me know what you think.

27 replies
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 28

Sure you are good enough you should go for it your cakes are way better than mine and I'm starting a business!

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 28

heck ya!

You're cakes are great.. I think the only thing that confounds so many people (me included) is the details - perfectly straight edges and tops, even borders, smooth icing finishes. But you're cakes look amazing - I'm sure you won't have trouble finding customers!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 28

and just when should we all mark our calendars for your grand opening?????

definitely good enough!

lindav76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindav76 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 28

of course they are. my cakes aren't as good looking as yours , and i sell cakes like crazy .keeps me busy every weekend . verry busy ...

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 28

Definitely! Go for it!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:16am
post #7 of 28

Your cakes are more then good enough! I just love the gazebo one...my favorite=) Jen

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:29am
post #8 of 28

Of course you're good enough! (silly girl!) icon_smile.gif You do good work and you have a good eye for detail. I'd say you have a bright future in the cake biz! icon_biggrin.gif

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:33am
post #9 of 28

yup. I agree. If I didn't, I wouldn't have responded.
I absolutely love the navy uniform one. It's awesome.
I think you'll have no problem finding people who'll love your cakes and be willing to pay for them.

rockymtnbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockymtnbaker Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:39am
post #10 of 28

I agree with the other posters; we are our own worst critics, aren't we? The only thing I noticed is on your tier cakes; a little bulging on the sides. But that's easy to fix. I love the way your fondant cakes look. You're doing great!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:39am
post #11 of 28

Do you really want me to be 100% honest with you? I think you would not have any problems selling your cakes. They are great! You do a wonderful job and people would be lucky to have one of your cakes.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:43am
post #12 of 28

A BIG YEPPERS, your definately good enough. Go for it have fun and as far as perfecting anything, that's what we're all trying to do.

schildwaster Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:54am
post #13 of 28

crislen, i have your stewie in my favorites. It still cracks me up!

I'm ready to have an opening day, I'm waiting on a special use permit from my village and i have to file the state tax vendor permit, then i'm good to go. so about 3-4 weeks. i got my business checking account today, so when i get the card in the mail it will seem real. I guess after dealing with the village today I started second guessing myself. I prefer fondant and 3-d cakes. There is definetely a niche for it. But my 2nd biggest critic my husband still seems unsteady about it. Thanks for the boost of confidence. I understand the details comment. I'd say half my cakes started on a grander scale and then i got rushed for time. I finally figured out to do the hardest pieces first then I can speed through.

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 12:59am
post #14 of 28

just curious. Since you're in NY, what are the laws about home based cake businesses? I've checked the state gov page, but couldn't find anything. Is it a county thing?

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 1:10am
post #15 of 28

Go for it !!! Your cakes are great thumbs_up.gif

schildwaster Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 2:34am
post #16 of 28

you might want to check OPAL www.opal.gorr.state.ny.us it has a section on home based bakeries with contact numbers for different regions. I fall under the Dept. of Agriculture because it is considered a wholesale bakery. When I talked to my contact he said no chocolates(molds) and nothing that when the product is finished, needs to be refrigerated.

pampered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pampered Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 7:21pm
post #17 of 28

Yes, your cakes are very nice!

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:36pm
post #18 of 28

Your cakes are great!!!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:44pm
post #19 of 28

You have some great cakes. My only "brutal " comment would be that the board speaks volumes. I will use foil drums but try to cover it in some way shape or form. Boards can make or break a cake. That little detail really adds to a cake overall look! HTH!

oritdecor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oritdecor Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 8:52pm
post #20 of 28

Where can I find pictures of your cakes?I'm trying to find it so far with no luck.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 9:53pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritdecor

Where can I find pictures of your cakes?I'm trying to find it so far with no luck.

at the bottom of everyones posts there is are several tabs. one says "photos" click and you'll see every photo she's uploaded.

your cakes look great! i love the gazebo cake and the park wedding cupcakes. my one suggestion is about the graduation cake. i think it could be smoother and more level. good luck!! seeing people opening their own businesses keeps me hopeful that one day i'll be good enough to do it too!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 10:39pm
post #22 of 28

I think you work is quite nice and would sell. My only suggestions would be to expand your techniques, learn to do flowers, whether gumpaste or fondant. Maybe gumpaste bows and something that will wow them, like a whimsy cake, a royal icing crown on a pillow cake for a little Princess.

schildwaster Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 1:14am
post #23 of 28

Thank you all for taking time to look at my cakes. I know I still have a lot to learn. This site is such a great tool. I'll be trying out tons of techniques to have a variety of cakes to offer my clients in the next few weeks. I'll use the tips you've all give me and hopefully I'll have a more professional looking product that will sell like crazy.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 1:16am
post #24 of 28

Absolutely! Go For It!

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 1:55am
post #25 of 28

YES, GO FOR IT!!! Just wanted to let you know that the link you posted above doens't work! If you would repost the link so it works, thank you! GOOD LUCK!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 2:13pm
post #27 of 28

I'd have to suggest working on the details a bit. For instance, on your graduation cake, you need to figure out why your layers bulged so you can avoid that in the future. The piped Grecian columns are kind of wonky. There appear to be bits of frosting on several of the cut-out figures. That sort of thing just jumps right out at me and says "mom" made this cake...not a professional baker. The devil's in the details. You need to work on your borders a bit. And, it's inevitable that you'll run into someone who will be less than gracious about their paid-for cake having flaws because you were holding the baby while doing it. Be sure you can decorate without distractions when you get into finishing a cake. You've stated the obvious about the boards. I would suggest that when you figure out what you're going to do about boards, be sure to pay some attention to size as well. I see so many cakes on nice boards that are HUGE. Making cakes for friends and relatives is a whole different ballgame from doing it as a business.

oritdecor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oritdecor Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 11:10pm
post #28 of 28

Are you kidding!Of course , go ahead,your cakes are very good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%