Fondant On A Square Cake

Decorating By chefali Updated 17 Mar 2006 , 5:04pm by tiptop57

chefali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefali Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 2:36am
post #1 of 6

Please help me! I am trying to make a dummy cake and cover it in fondant. I know how to (and can) cover a round cake perfectly fine; however this cake is square! Everytime I try to cover a square cake in fondant it ends of tearing at the top corners and edges. Then, it usually will not be completely smooth and leave cracked marks. I don't know if I have such a hard time because everytime I have attempted it it has been on a dummy (styro foam)? Is it easier on an actual cake? Any advice and tips is really appreciated!! Thanks

5 replies
KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 2:43am
post #2 of 6

Nope - not any easier on a real cake! The only square cakes I've covered in fondant either had ribbons on them, so I could hide all creases or the one I'm about to do that the corners are covered with an aditional layer of fondant. I know that doesn't help you any, but I just wamted to let you know that you are not alone out there!!! icon_biggrin.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 7:14am
post #3 of 6

I've had some success covering the square practice cakes I'm doing for a wedding in May. I have started laying on the fondant at a corner instead of a side, and it's worked really well. As long as I've rolled out enough! I've come up short on one corner a couple of times, but the fondant has pulled down enough to cover.

As for cracking, if you're talking about at the edges, I was told to cut the edges of the cake a little bit so that the fondant wasn't falling over the edge at a 90 degree angle. That, apparently, makes the fondant crack. I've tried it both ways, and it does seem to cause the fondant to have the "elephant skin" look. So, before I apply the buttercream, I just cut the edge off the cake (just a tiny bit!) so that it looks kind of beveled. The fondant shouldn't crack then. Just don't over cut or the cake won't look really square any more.

Good luck and hang in there! thumbs_up.gif

Sarah

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 6

I've only done this once, and it was on a dummy. I put a very thin coating of buttercream on it, just for "glue." I fitted the corners first...and the rest just sort of fell into place. I was intimidated to start it, but it really went well. I didn't trim anything off the dummy...just went with the styrofoam just as it was. I guess the buttercream softened the edge a little, but since I didn't use much, it was still pretty sharp. I use MMF, and it had been warmed in the microwave before rolling out. Maybe that helps. Dunno....

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 6

Do the top first, then smooth over the corners using a slight upwards motion with your hands. The sides should then just smooth nicely into place

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 6

Oh try panels like Sugarshack does........ She gave the instructions on one of her boxes this week. That is what I am going to try this weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%