Need A Book To Teach Me As No Classes

Decorating By gracewolds Updated 18 Apr 2005 , 11:16am by AngelWendy

gracewolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracewolds Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 5:05am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone, finally I have found a cake board to hopefully help and discuss with others.

I am a mum at home in Australia and am slowly growing my interest in cake making for kids cakes and cupcakes as well as cookies.

Now this is not much of a popular pasttime in Australia, only the professional wedding cake type stores and no courses except TAFE, whihc is 4 years and does not necessary concentrate on cake decorating. The only other course available is a local course evening college, but they concentrate so much on fine flowers etc - not at all what I want to do.

So can any one advise whihc is the best books to buy - I will need to buy them or order them in from the US as not readily available here - your advice is invaluable, I particularly want a book that covers all the basics.

Thanks

MElanie icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 5:39am
post #2 of 7

Hi MElanie! I don't have any books to recommend. I just wanted to welcome you to Cake Central. I think you'll learn more from the wonderful people here than you might from just about any book icon_smile.gif .

elin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elin Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 6:41am
post #3 of 7

Hi gracewolds.
Welcome.
As I live in norway, there are no classes here eighter. Therefor I love the selection of books.
To start with I like the books from Nicholas Lodge.
You have "the international school of Sugarcraft" book 1 - 3. Book 1 is great to start with. It takes all kind of decorations and guide you trough it all. I like it.
You also have "the new Sugarcraft course" by Chris Jeffcoate & Jackie Kuflik. Wich is also covering it all.
The tird on I have for basic starts is "the home guide to cakedecorating" by Jane Price. It is the same, with the basic to a wonderful sett up.
All this three is bought from uk.
The last one I bought is "first steps in cakedecorating" by Janice Murfitt. That is also a great book to start with.
As you see I am a bit of a cakebook freak. Have so many books at all levels.
Good luck to you.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 8:53am
post #4 of 7

hi, i can recommend the wilton video courses, if they still have them. it's a three lesson course that comes with three books. i never took any classes.
too busy to go to one so i order their video course. it's the next best thing to being in class.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 9:06am
post #5 of 7

Or pick up a wilton yearbook.... the 2005 one, has the tip techniques in the back, how to make flowers, other techniques, fondant, gum paste.. its kind of like an all in thing..... you see the pics in the front, with directions, and in bake there's info... thats how I started..... I get everyone I can see and find now!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 11:14am
post #6 of 7

Another thing that will also help you is buying the practice cards from wilton. They are really neat because they have your basic decorating designs, like making stars, reverse shell and the like. You put the paper in the plastic sleeve and just decorate away. It also comes with a little easel so that you can also practice as if you are decorating the sides of a cake.

Also welcome to cake central, it can become very addicting very fast, plus it is full of all kinds of tips. I know that it has helped me improve in a lot of areas.
m0use

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 11:16am
post #7 of 7

You can also purchase the Wilton Course books on eBay. They should each be under $10- (US). These show step by step how to do basic decorating.

I also just purchased "Colette's Cakes" which has a basic how-to section, also.

Good luck!!

~AngelWendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%