Lemon Curd ?

Decorating By denise4 Updated 25 Mar 2007 , 5:18pm by denise4

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 7:12am
post #1 of 10

Hi, does anyone know how long I can keep home made lemon curd in the fridge, thanks

9 replies
wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 10

I'm not certian, but when I took serve safe it basically said almost anything is good for 7 days so I'd day that's probably a good place to start.

It's acidic, which techincally should make it longer, but I don't know how much longer. If you jarred it, like a jam, that would probably stretch it out too.

denise4 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for that wysmommy, much apreciated, I made it about 10 days ago so I think I will throw it away, to be on safe side, thanks again

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 10

Hi Denise....I made some and kept it for 2 weeks before it was all eaten..we were fine..nobody sick and it tasted great...I kept it in the fridge the entire time.

I don't know what the "official" keep date is..perhaps someone who does lots of cakes could tell you.....

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 10

The lemon curd I make is good for 7 days in the fridge. Or so the recipe says at least.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 10

I have lemon curd I made three years ago in my freezer. I put it in little 1 cup jelly jars that sealed themselves as they cooled. I've had a jar in my frig for as long as it took me to use it up and it's always been just fine. On the other hand I had a jar Harry and David lemon curd in the frig for a while that went all crystally on me. But I just heated it on low in a sauce pan and it melted and was usable after it cooled. I've never had mine do that. All it is is butter, lemon juice and sugar. But man, is it good! Nothing I've bought comes close to home made.

denise4 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks Jane & Gefion, I've kept in fridge, but this recipe had fresh cream in (not sure if they all do lol) it's first time I've made it, did yours have fresh cream in Jane? I was thinking on the same lines as wysmommy and thought the acidity might lengthen shelf life, and as yours was ok Jane after 2 weeks It may be ok, it's for family so I wont be poisoning any members of public LOL

denise4 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 10

I never thought of putting it in freezer CarolAnn, I will do that next time I make it....Thanks,your right about the home made thing, you cant beat it, it was my first time making lemon curd and it was delcious

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 10

My recipe doesn't have cream in it...only butter, sugar, lemon juice, rind, and butter...
Yours sounds extra yummy but I don't know about the cream..anyhow, it should keep at least a week...whipping cream has a long shelf life

denise4 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Jane, I think its best in the bin cos of the cream, I will make some more soon with a recipe without cream to get a bit of a longer shelf life, and freeze some too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%