Anyone Do This From Their Basement?

Business By Lenette Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 2:01am by gbahena

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 25

I am considering putting my kitchen in a basement. It is totally fine from the health and city code perspective. I am trying to figure out the space, layout, "front room" type space to meet with clietns etc. Has anyone done this? Any tips, suggestions, ideas for layout? I would greatly appreciate input. THANKS!! icon_smile.gif

24 replies
nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 25

My husband actually is just in the finishing stages of putting a kitchen in our basement. Just need the doors right now.
I didnt' make a area for them to come in and talk unfortuntely....Our reason for doing it downstairs...Is that..Customers were coming in, WITH THEIR SHOES ON!! and then peaking around the house...Wanted tours..Can you believe that?
It was driving us crazy. So, Now...They come around back to the Great entrance door and it is all tile, So, I don't mind if they keep their shoes on...Then they also don't ask for a tour.

Congrats on your kitchen.Nicole

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 25

I have a second kitchen in my basement..

PM me your questions icon_smile.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 25

I have a commercial kitchen in my basement!! Although In my state, county I can't have people come to my residence so I don't have a room for the clients. But I do have my kitchen down there, and love it!!

melody

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 25

My husband and I were just talking about HOW to do this. We live in a small house and tha basement is the only space. I would LOVE to hear how you have used your space. Oh we do not have a daylight basement so we would need to figure out how to deal withthat too.

tarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheel Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 25

The house I bought had a second kitchen in my basement and that is the one I use. Works great. I do use my living room to meet with clients though; just more comfortable seating...eventually I may set up an area in the basement to meet with clients also...but for now I'm fine (and so are they) with meeting in the living room.

I bought a couple of those rolling storage carts with draws to store my equipment in and a large book shelf for supplies. Had a cabinet special made for my cake pans and stands. I only do this as a second job/hobby but so far it is working well!

PM me if you have more specific questions.

Good luck!

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 25

I would love to see pictures of everyone's second kitchen and their storage ideas.

tirby Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 25

I know I need a second entrance and kitchen items...stove ect...
My problem is arangement. The space I have is SO small I dont know how to arange it. It is about. Or will be 15X30.....give or take a foot.
I was also told it needed a bathroom. Not sure why???????? Wouldnt the bathroom from the house work? Any way. Yes pictures of lay outs would be nice. I to am a hobbiest but the older the kids get the more on the buisness side of things we are moving. I have my tax # and am now looking on how to get the kitchen thing going.

Sugarbean Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 25

Here's my kitchen. It was a spare bedroom/laundry room. I LOVE it. I have doors on my pantry now. So it looks much more professional. This room is roughly 8x10 and it has a 2x4 area where the hand washing sink/entrance is.

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 9:38pm
post #10 of 25

Sugarbean, your kitchen is AWESOME!!! I am really jealous!

Thank you for posting all these pictures!

Sugarbean Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 25

No problem...I think alot of us envison something totally different when we think about getting legal. When really the *barebones* will do us just fine! icon_wink.gif

tirby Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:43am
post #12 of 25

That really help alot. TY so much! I never thought I could so all of that in that space. Its GREAT. I know my hubby could do that (well something like it)

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:30am
post #13 of 25

Here's a link to a post from when I did my basement renovation.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-34235-kitchen.html+renovation+photos

It does look a bit different now that it's been in use for almost a year. I may post more current pics later if anyone is interested.

I have the same situation as melodyscakes, but I do have occasional pick ups, (not enough to draw attention or disturb the neighborhood), but no one goes into my kitchen aka bakeshop.

-Rezzy

Sugarbean Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:44am
post #14 of 25

Rezzy, I'd love to see some more recent pictures now that you are working in your kitchen!! icon_smile.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 4:27am
post #15 of 25

Sure! I'll post them in the next couple of weeks.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 4:45am
post #16 of 25

now i want a new kitchen icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 5:01am
post #17 of 25

I waneted to but my city said "ABSoLUTELY NOT!" (My state was fine, but I live in a strict city.)

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 7:36pm
post #18 of 25

Just wanted to say "Thanks!" to everyone for the posts and pictures. We did find a house that fit the bill, the health dpt came by and gave a thumbs up for the space. So, we move at the end of the month and I just need to renovate the space. Thanks again!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 6:29am
post #19 of 25

SugarBean -

so I'm looking (jealously) at your great set up and I see on your bulletin board a pic of my wedding cake! LOL the one with the flower bouquet and the ribbon cascading down - I had that cake duplicated for my wedding cake, only the flowers were done in gumpaste to match my bouquet and the ribbon was also gumpaste. I couldn't believe my eyes! LOL! icon_smile.gif

Sugarbean Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:33pm
post #20 of 25

That's funny. Those are just "inspriation" photos I've collected from magazines. It is a Martha Stewat Cake, shaped in the Hexagon? I love the simplicity of it. icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 8:21pm
post #21 of 25

Sugar Bean - yup the hexagon one. I, too, favor simple elegant cakes, especially for weddings. I always hate doing a busy one for a customer. Not because of the time it takes, but because I think the simpler ones look better.

smcintosh2801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smcintosh2801 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:49pm
post #22 of 25

Very nice kitchen!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:12pm
post #23 of 25

Sugar Bean, many thanks for posting your pics. I am also in AB, so it's useful to see a kitchen that passed inspections - I was imagining it needed to be something super-shiny and stainless steel-y. Yours looks nice and comfy, and that it would be lovely to work in. I'm aiming to put in a basement kitchen in the fall and yours inspires me!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:38pm
post #24 of 25

omg!! sooooooo jealous of those fabulous kitchens. Augh, one i wish i had house with a huge kitchen, two well i need a house!
Wish i was down on that kitchen just practicing right now.

gbahena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbahena Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:01am
post #25 of 25

the only thing I don't see is the TV!! lol icon_biggrin.gif looks great

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%